Help me not suck as Varus

#1NymphomancerPosted 11/14/2012 10:30:04 AM
I'm trying here, I really am.

To be clear, I'm only level 21 and thus playing the meta of: 2 bot, 1 mid, 2 top (unless someone wants to jungle then it's 1 jungler and 1 up top vs 2).

I try to take mid and bot and I'm only ever alone on mid.

I can usually out poke and out cs on mid and do pretty well until I'm double teamed.

On bot I'm having more trouble, I feel I have the same range as Darius's pull, and have to wait on him to wiff it to feel safe csing, and Draven/Caitlyn + anyone else usually means I get to leech exp from a safe distance or get poked to death via their range.

I just got into this game 3 weeks ago and I'm trying to make use of the y camera otherwise it feels like purple side has a disadvantage because of the ui covering up the screen and only being able to see a foot in front of me on bot.

My runes are attack dmg quints, mag resist per level, ar pen, and armor.

I do better going into the defense tree in mastery to get 30 hp and indomitable. and spend what I have left in dmg tree.

I take heal and flash.

My build is boots, 1 pots, doran blade, doran blade, berserker boots, sell a doran to get best friend sword/vampiric, get the other part, blood thirster, infinity edge and if I make it there, by then it's a pretty sure deal we've won.

Problems I've noticed:

2 v 1 means I'm dead and unlikely to even kill one of the others. I feel like I move ridiculously slow even before slowed and rarely make it out alive. If I'm jumped 1 v 1 and notice I'm not going to be able to trade, I still have to because I don't see a reasonable way to kite. My hail of arrows makes me stand still to cast it, time I could spend running away so I only use it when 2 or more people need to get away. (I usually use it to burst stacks in team fights)

By mid or late game, I'm destroying nicely but need to be rolling with at least 2 others since I'm usually 3 shot before warmongers or guardian angel (and once again, I can never escape when things go sour unless I'm behind 1 or two people due to speed).

My Q hits about 80 percent of the time so no problem there in my book.

My ult feels useless outside of team fights as well, the speed it comes out, the time it takes to snare, the 1.5 second snare doesn't feel like it bought me 1.5 seconds at all.

I'm guessing it is really only useful for team fights and the combo of ulti, hail of arrows, bunch of shots of W passive, and Q when I have all that mana and one is in range with no one else around to silence me or two shot me.

Help me improve guys :)

Am I building wrong?

Am I not using the right masteries/runes?

Am I supposed to be a free 2 v 1 kill?

Is it too early to be trying to y camera?

Help me not suck.

tl;dr: 2v1 I'm always dead, hail of arrows feels useless for kiting if melee is already on me, my laning phase is a nightmare, Even in berserker boots Varus moves at the speed of a snail riding a turtle swimming in molasses
#2anilEhilatedPosted 11/14/2012 10:36:32 AM
Not suck, Varus. Pick one.
---
For who could ever...?
#3Nymphomancer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 10:39:46 AM
He's just a bad champ? :/
#4Final_HatsamuPosted 11/14/2012 10:40:02 AM
Why would you 2 vs 1? Play safe under your tower and cs until you're able to outdamage your enemies.
---
M-8 "I turn the tide, by choosing to abide"
1Cross + 3Nails = 4given
#5shockspectrePosted 11/14/2012 10:40:22 AM
There's definitely worse, but there's better too.
---
LoL IGN: ph4zespectre
#6Nymphomancer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 10:46:04 AM
Final_Hatsamu posted...
Why would you 2 vs 1? Play safe under your tower and cs until you're able to outdamage your enemies.

Mid fighting 1 v1 then along comes someone who decided to jungle that game or someone that someone else didnt call mia and I'm a free kill due to my tiny hp pool and lack of escape abilities.
#7gkh5Posted 11/14/2012 10:47:36 AM
Sounds like you just gotta get used to playing AD carry. With a few exceptions, most of them don't have a ton of damage early-mid game before they have their items and all of them are squishy (although graves less so). If there is someone with a gapcloser, you need to be cognizant of that and try to position yourself so you can hit someone else without being closed on.

Do you have Graves or Corki? I believe their auto attack ranges are a smidge shorter than Varus but both have stronger laning and great escape mechanics, which seem to be the two things you're having difficulty with right now. Might be worth trying them out a bit before returning to Varus who is trickier to play. Corki is fee this week I believe.
#8Final_HatsamuPosted 11/14/2012 10:50:02 AM
Nymphomancer posted...
Final_Hatsamu posted...

Mid fighting 1 v1 then along comes someone who decided to jungle that game or someone that someone else didnt call mia and I'm a free kill due to my tiny hp pool and lack of escape abilities.

Ward river bushes and, like I said, play safe. Don't overpush and just last hit minions. While everyone should call mias, you can't depend on them.
---
M-8 "I turn the tide, by choosing to abide"
1Cross + 3Nails = 4given
#9Nymphomancer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 10:54:36 AM
gkh5 posted...
Sounds like you just gotta get used to playing AD carry. With a few exceptions, most of them don't have a ton of damage early-mid game before they have their items and all of them are squishy (although graves less so). If there is someone with a gapcloser, you need to be cognizant of that and try to position yourself so you can hit someone else without being closed on.

Do you have Graves or Corki? I believe their auto attack ranges are a smidge shorter than Varus but both have stronger laning and great escape mechanics, which seem to be the two things you're having difficulty with right now. Might be worth trying them out a bit before returning to Varus who is trickier to play. Corki is fee this week I believe.

I get that adc are squishy but I feel like Ashe can at least slow with all of her shots, ezreal can free flash, and stuff like that. Varus is slow to begin with it seems and hit slow needs to be aimed and I'm stuck standing still to do it. I feel like I'm dead whether I use it or just run.
#10BlackSparrow14Posted 11/14/2012 10:55:02 AM
First of all, get used to going bot instead of mid. At lvl 30, you will almost always be going down there 2v2 adc+support vs adc+support.

Because your an ADC, your laning phase is supposed to be weak, which is why you should focus on just farming and getting a kill or two IF your lane partner/jungler knows what they're doing since you're still learning. You can create a lot of range between you, minions and the enemy adc+support. You don't have to actively stay in the middle of minions to last hit them. Stay at the back and only go forward to last hit if you're really scared of getting harassed. Normally, I'd recommend doing a bit of harass yourself, since Varus's Q has pretty good range, but for now just try to practice last hitting. As the ADC, it's your job to get as farmed/fed as possible so you potentially carry your teammates to victory late game.

DO NOT use Y camera EVER. It is horrible and it limits so much of your vision. Get used to scrolling around the sides of your screen to scout out potential threats/opportunities. If you're just walking or farming quietly, make it a habit to check your surroundings and zoom over to other lanes. Map awareness is KEY to winning a game.

You said you have problems with melee attackers. As the ADC, the only way to solve this is to never get hit in the first place. Smart enemies will target you unless someone else on your team is overly fed. Let the tankier champs engage, follow up and stay in the back as much as possible. Your Hail of Arrows provide decent crowd control and a healing reduction debuff so use it on a group of people in the middle of teamfights. ANTICIPATE enemy movements. If you see them heading towards you, start kiting and use your E/R. Do not wait until they start whacking on you. If you ever get hit. Reposition/KIte/Flash away and let your team get enemies off you. When it's safe, get back in the fight ASAP. Remember, staying alive is more important than getting immediate kills. Shoot the best target available that won't attract much threat. NEVER do something like run towards a squishy champ to get in range, only to get tossed by a Volibear. Let the enemies make the mistakes and get out of position, then strike. Remember, your damage is 0 when you're dead.

Lastly, most carries usually rush IE. General build is Boots3Pots, 1-2 DB's, Zerks, IE components, (Vamp scepter in the mix somewhere), Zeal, Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, Blood Thirster, GA/BV/QSS. ADC builds are less flexible than most other champ builds, but there is always still room to adjust this depending on the matchup.

PD should help you kite and solve your movement issues. This can also function as a general guide to other ADC's. Varus isn't the best, but still perfectly viable.