so is this game alot different from dota

#1miczzPosted 11/17/2012 10:30:37 AM
very late to the party but i was just too lazy to ask before. i loved dota but i already quit years ago and i really dont know anything about these kinds of games anymore. (this, hon, dota 2). the map from what i see is pretty much the same but is the gameplay different?
---
IQ Test - click here
#2MizunoRyuuPosted 11/17/2012 11:30:40 AM
It's very different. The map has the same general shape, and it's still a 5v5. That's pretty much where the similarities end.

The meta is hugely different, and cc isn't stupidly op in this game. For instance, there's no such thing as a 3 second spammable AoE stun like Sven's. And there's no such thing as a massive AoE field that stuns all enemies inside for stupid periods of time while the carry who made it hacks away at everything inside it.

Roles are much more defined. A carry is a carry, and building them any other way will end in a loss.

The biggest difference I'd say is the addition of AP and AD scaling on abilities. Here, you build damage to deal damage, whereas in DotA you can build fulltank and do the same amount of damage (which is an utterly stupid idea).
---
Evelynn is my waifu.
Help... Me...
#3EnclosurePosted 11/17/2012 11:34:46 AM
Actually, CC is just as stupidly OP in this game. Its just not as prevalent.

Case in point on the top page of this forum: the amumu ban thread.
---
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1678/87591610.jpg
#4HeroshiX2Posted 11/17/2012 11:46:08 AM
MizunoRyuu posted...
It's very different. The map has the same general shape, and it's still a 5v5. That's pretty much where the similarities end.

The meta is hugely different, and cc isn't stupidly op in this game. For instance, there's no such thing as a 3 second spammable AoE stun like Sven's. And there's no such thing as a massive AoE field that stuns all enemies inside for stupid periods of time while the carry who made it hacks away at everything inside it.

Roles are much more defined. A carry is a carry, and building them any other way will end in a loss.

The biggest difference I'd say is the addition of AP and AD scaling on abilities. Here, you build damage to deal damage, whereas in DotA you can build fulltank and do the same amount of damage (which is an utterly stupid idea).

You know very little about Dota. Stop talking.
#5Ephemeral1Posted 11/17/2012 1:40:03 PM
HeroshiX2 posted...
MizunoRyuu posted...

Tell me why you disagree.
#6Wii_kid_bf2142Posted 11/17/2012 1:45:33 PM
Ephemeral1 posted...
HeroshiX2 posted...
MizunoRyuu posted...

Carries build damage items in dota you dingus.
---
Why is everyone keen on being a Spy / Sniper?
Because their handles are either xXxKwIkSkOpExXx or xXxD4rkS4Suk3xXx -- UrCa1988
#7Ephemeral1Posted 11/17/2012 1:46:07 PM
Wii_kid_bf2142 posted...
Ephemeral1 posted...
HeroshiX2 posted...
MizunoRyuu posted...

Carries build damage items in dota you dingus.

My point was that he should give evidence instead of casting aspersions, not that I agreed or disagreed.
#8Ultima_Weapon33Posted 11/17/2012 1:55:11 PM(edited)
Yeah not only do you build a lot more damage in DotA compared to this game's stupid tanky dps, but Sven's stun is 2 seconds and it's highly telegraphed and you have to be standing around the initial stun target, and you can dodge it in a lot of ways (blink, phase, manta, illusion ability, magic immunity, stasis)

There's a reason there's melee carries

You have no idea what you are talking about
---
You'll see - Eternal love, that's what this is
This feeling that I just cannot resist... OD
#9aHappySackaPosted 11/17/2012 1:56:57 PM(edited)
You're better off asking this question in the Dota board where there are a lot less idiots.

Bascially this game is baby's first Moba, in the most basic terms it's much more simplified in terms of gameplay and what not, while it is much easier to learn and get into it also has a drastic decrease in depth, but as long as you have fun then I suppose it doesn't matter.
---
Kitty Kat --> /\_/\
.................=(^_^)=
#10HeleophrynidaePosted 11/17/2012 1:57:00 PM
League of Legends has a much higher skill ceiling than Dota

Dota is pretty much casual city