Swain Top

#1darkestmercPosted 11/24/2012 1:43:12 PM
Is it rare for Swain to go top?

I just picked him up because of the sale and found I do much better top lane (usually completely dominate the laning phase) as opposed to going mid.

But I keep getting hate for wanting to go top with him.

1 game I took top and asked the jungler for blue- the jungler took it from me (refused to leash and took it at lv.2 when I was harassing a Darius) and stated that Warwick needs the mana more. He then refused to provide me with any ganks since Swain "is a noob for going top" and I went the whole laning phase 2v1

One game I called top first, and 2 others proceeded to call it afterwards. A lot of arguing took place, and I ended up going bot because the other two people wouldn't leave top lane. They kept telling me I wasn't suited for top and I eventually budged.

Another game I called top, and another called bot. No one else said anything, but another player kept going through champions that mid (Ahri, Karthus etc) until settling on Sion. He proceeded to tell me to go mid after the game started and verbally harassed me the entire game- despite the fact that I was carrying the team (I went 6-0-2 in top lane) unfortunately others fed and we lost.

These were 3 out of the 4 games I played with him. The first time I picked him up I went mid and everyone was fine with it. Is it some kind of shock to see Swain going top or something?
---
PSN: Darkestmerc
Xbox 360 GT: Darkermerc
#2Price_Of_FamePosted 11/24/2012 1:45:21 PM
He's better top than he is mid. Just rage and call everyone that has a problem with it dumbasses.
---
Not a racist.
#3nyhustler208Posted 11/24/2012 1:46:44 PM
swain beats like 90% of tops, he is a very good top laner and i dont even think he has a weakness if he goes up there
---
"Let me demonstrate Hammer Diplomacy!" - POPPY
brb having sex with my waifu... poppy love
#4WyrmcraftPosted 11/24/2012 1:49:18 PM
His weakness is needing Blue buff, if you have like a Kat mid or something though then you're golden.

Only on blue side of course.
---
Carpe Diem, Memento Mori
Take my hand and on dark wings we shall fly away from this corrupt place. Together we will experience the world as it was meant to be
#5darkestmerc(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 2:00:42 PM
Is he a beast up top on purple as well?
I can see not having the blue being an issue.
---
#6ritz2Posted 11/24/2012 2:08:38 PM
It's not necessary but it helps. Chalice + Glacial + RoA is enough.
---
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n521/Melonwaters/4524032.jpg
#7Frost_shock_FTWPosted 11/24/2012 2:10:34 PM
Swain top is a good counterpick to several popular tops. And if your jungler isn't AP provides more diversity in your team.

You're out of your mind though if you want the first blue buff instead of giving it to the jungler who needs the experience and buff desperately. You don't even have your ult at that point.

If Sion had a bad matchup (which is almost all of them) then you also should have also considered switching with him for the benefit of the team. You carrying top has almost no effect on the rest of the map unless you're Irelia/Olaf/Jax, Swain can't do his job of being a giant bird if everyone else melts too fast.

tl;dr - Swain is good, your decisions are not
---
Weenie Hut General!
Contacts in Profile
#8darkestmerc(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 7:02:34 PM
Frost_shock_FTW posted...

Swain top is a good counterpick to several popular tops. And if your jungler isn't AP provides more diversity in your team.

You're out of your mind though if you want the first blue buff instead of giving it to the jungler who needs the experience and buff desperately. You don't even have your ult at that point.

If Sion had a bad matchup (which is almost all of them) then you also should have also considered switching with him for the benefit of the team. You carrying top has almost no effect on the rest of the map unless you're Irelia/Olaf/Jax, Swain can't do his job of being a giant bird if everyone else melts too fast.

tl;dr - Swain is good, your decisions are not

Sion was up top with me, and he wanted Kennen there with him. After some time, Kennen went mid and I was top. He was pissed that he was laning with Swain and not Kennen, despite myself being the only person who called top.

And once the team fights started, I began carrying the team. I ended the game 11-3-9 and we still lost.

Also when I asked the jungler for the blue it was the second time playing Swain (first time top) and my build didn't consist of any mana sustain until later in mid game. So I was running out of mana with harass. (I have since changed the build order on him, and it has been very effective).

Also, I simply asked him if I could have blue, and noticed it was gone when I was harassing Darius in the top lane. That didn't bother me. The fact that Warwick refused to provide ganks because he thought I was an idiot for going top is what did. He also tried to take blue, and would even run out of team fights to do so, the minute golem respawned. Does he need the experience desperately at lv.13 too?

Tl;dr I think you took my stories out of context, and should ask for more detail before being condescending.
---
#9EltoniaXPosted 11/24/2012 7:03:12 PM
swain top rocks pretty much
---
you have some extreme mental instability issues- Lmaokai
I'm a mobile fountain triangle!
#10Ravid182Posted 11/24/2012 7:15:40 PM
blue buff is super overrated on swain for laning phase. It is very helpful, yes, but hardly needed.