general lol player impression of dota?

#11yourDaddiePosted 11/26/2012 7:17:46 AM
Dota's carries are ridiculous, they can 5 v1, it is not really a team game it is more a everyone is their carries b**** game.
---
If you believe in Goku and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
#12MizunoRyuuPosted 11/26/2012 7:24:04 AM
DotA in two words: Horribly unbalanced.

Every single hero has at least one stupidly powerful skill, and it's impossible to balance the game when everyone's mechanics are broken.
---
Evelynn is my waifu.
Help... Me...
#13HeroshiX2Posted 11/26/2012 7:43:51 AM
League is far more unbalanced than DOTA imo, though it does feel like much more of a team game.

League has a much better UI (especially with the newest patch)

League is a lot more easier to pick up and play at any time for me compared to DOTA , whereas I need to be in the certain mood to get my fix for it.

DOTA is more fun overall, but this subjective.

DOTA has the better competitive scene. Their internationals weren't a complete joke compared to Riots, and none of the teams are truly in it completely for the money as a lot of the league players seem to be.

DOTA's characters have much more personality to me, though, not all. Characters talking smack to rivals and laughing as you kill someone just plain feels good.

DOTA doesn't have a stagnant as all get out meta-game, chances are, in league (ranked really) if you go say... duo top, you'll be complained at for breaking the meta and will well, most likely lose if the enemy team is even remotely competent. However in DOTA there are quite a lot of possible lane comps, even in competitive, that can spice things up and STILL let you have a chance to win. (Though like states elsewhere, carries snowball a lot harder in DOTA)

I could go on, but neither game is truly better than the other with how different they are, the only aspect that feels the same is: two teams race to destroy the enemies nexus/ancient.
#14TeeHunter13Posted 11/26/2012 8:06:21 AM
I don't like Dota's heroes.
---
And now, I'm thinking again, isn't there
something we can do about something we can't do anything about?
#15sing_yajPosted 11/26/2012 8:36:00 AM
I've played dota2 for a couple weeks. There are several things which i don't like about it. League of Legends is just more user friendly. I felt the shop in dota2 is complicated but this is just probably because i havent played dota enough.

After playing LoL, it feels like dota2 towers does no damage. In LoL you can always fall back to tower if you are having trouble but in dota2, from my experience the enemy could easily dive you under your tower.

I felt that the roots/stuns last too long. There are many characters that i feel their ult is too powerful.

Personally i don't like how the characters in dota2 moves, it feels like they move too fast and have floaty movement.
#16HeroshiX2Posted 11/26/2012 8:43:05 AM
sing_yaj posted...
I've played dota2 for a couple weeks. There are several things which i don't like about it. League of Legends is just more user friendly. I felt the shop in dota2 is complicated but this is just probably because i havent played dota enough.

After playing LoL, it feels like dota2 towers does no damage. In LoL you can always fall back to tower if you are having trouble but in dota2, from my experience the enemy could easily dive you under your tower.

I felt that the roots/stuns last too long. There are many characters that i feel their ult is too powerful.

Personally i don't like how the characters in dota2 moves, it feels like they move too fast and have floaty movement.

Animations have a much more noticeable impact on movement and spell casting, especially turning speeds. Also in league the towers protect you, in dota, you protect the towers. (As creep waves get pushed oh so easily without them, more so than in league.)

I do agree with some ults feeling too strong but they're called an ultimate ability for a reason, and ults in dota have a lot more "oomph" behind them than majority in league which could pass as a normal spell in some cases.
#17Blarg92Posted 11/26/2012 9:08:09 AM
There are a lot of things I like about Dota compared to LoL (all heroes for free, controling multiple units, more item actives, supporting is more interesting, etc.) but in the end I still play LoL more because I struggle to get past Dota's clunky feel.
---
Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything that I thought it could be.~Office Space
#18ReadOnlyAccntPosted 11/26/2012 9:11:50 AM
I don't know where this 1v5 argument comes from. Probably from ignorance. The only people who use that as an argument have never played the game. the only time you can 1v5 the enemy team is is you've had 45 minutes of free farm and the other team has been feeding. in which case you should be stomping them because they are that bad
---
Bleh
#19Master CilanderPosted 11/26/2012 9:18:37 AM(edited)
I made the switch from LoL to Dota 2 after playing a few hundred games of LoL because I got tired of the same lanes every game. This was probably the biggest motivator for me.

Also, I remember Scarra discussing how much less viable LoL is as a competitive game than other MOBAs because it has artificial barriers to practicing new champs and the itemization is far too simple. That influenced me as well. I realized Dota was more dynamic and punishing of mistakes.

Anyone who thinks it's less balanced than LoL is honestly ignorant. LoL has way more nonviable trash champs that were created to be purchased and then nerfed into the ground.

Their itemization changes for S3 include stealing and renaming a few more Dota items which is funny. If Dota is inferior I don't know why they're still taking from it so much.

LoL isn't a bad game in its own rights, but too much of it is designed around making you spend IP. Runes, for instance, are a gigantic ruse to get you to waste IP so you can afford fewer champs in a timely fashion. Do the math on the over 100 champs and how much IP you need to unlock them and how much a few sets of basic runes cost and you'll see just how insanely long it would all take without spending real money.

A lot of complaints about LoL are pretty accurate but a lot of complaints about Dota are inaccurate. Complaining about balance in Dota is a mostly fallacious argument because the game is well balanced, moreso than LoL even. An example of a fair complaint is the UI or the movement, because that doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone. I'm just glad I made up my own mind and didn't listen to naysayers when I tried Dota for the first time.
---
Neutral but not impartial.
#20shadyelfPosted 11/26/2012 9:29:07 AM
Dota's a really great game but small little annoyances like a delay, turnspeed, long attack animations, and other little UI inconveniences have kept me away.

I'm hoping those complaints of mine are relics of WC3 and will be removed in the future, but looking at their fanbase I doubt they'll favor such a move.
---
?