I don't understand why people say denying makes no sense

#11shadyelfPosted 11/26/2012 9:12:33 AM
When I look at the amount of denies in the high level games I spectate in Dota 2, the number is pretty damn small compared to their cs so I dunno why it's such a big deal. I suppose it's just another early snowball mechanic.
---
?
#12ReadOnlyAccnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 10:08:54 AM
Well I was going for ingame logic not out of game real life logic. If you want to play that game.

Killing things in real life dont grant exp or and you don't level up. they also do not drop gold. so bam.

And yeah I guess it could be considered team killing but its a game not a philosophical venture.

I see denying as adding another cool form of lane control besides both of you just sitting there idly farming until one has enough gold to buy some great item. Im aware of "zoning" but that seems like a pretty shallow tactic
---
Bleh
#13angermngment101Posted 11/26/2012 10:17:06 AM
And yeah I guess it could be considered team killing but its a game not a philosophical venture.

Team killing is never a good thing in any game.
---
Gamefax
#14CovenantPosted 11/26/2012 10:41:06 AM
It does actually make sense.

It's just super game-y on multiple levels and breaks immersion. It also distracts attention from winning your lane by more directly fighting your opponent.
#15ReadOnlyAccnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 10:43:54 AM
angermngment101 posted...

Team killing is never a good thing in any game.

Neither is sending allies down a linear path to die over and over again
---
Bleh
#16Vince40Posted 11/26/2012 10:44:14 AM
MlREFOX posted...
It makes sense, but that doesn't make it a necessary mechanic. Dota suffers from an overabundance of unwieldy mechanics straight out of the year 2000 and will never be as competitive as LoL for it.

Lane control is not bad. That adds more strategy to a strategic moba. How you can't grasp that or why you hate strategy is beyond me.

Also to the person that doesn't like to compete for creeps. Don't touch a single creep all game, just go for kills please. No creeps at all. Lets me know how you do.
---
I want something good to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Queens Of The Stoneage
#17HeroshiX2Posted 11/26/2012 10:46:27 AM
MlREFOX posted...
It makes sense, but that doesn't make it a necessary mechanic. Dota suffers from an overabundance of unwieldy mechanics straight out of the year 2000 and will never be as competitive as LoL for it.

Except Dota is far more competitive than league.

Also no, I'm not a dota fanboy, I vastly prefer the game and think it is better in many many aspects but I do love league and find myself playing it far more often than dota 2.
#18SoulknightX0Posted 11/26/2012 10:47:43 AM
apparently its hard to watch 12 health bars so its an outdated mechanic
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bentrey/
#19Holy_SerpentPosted 11/26/2012 10:48:43 AM
Removing denying creates more interaction with enemies in lane, making the game more aggressive.

Because now you can't just kill their minions from a distance to stop someone from farming. You're forced to fight and punish someone whenever they try to kill a creep, essentially "denying" through battle instead of just farming your own creep.

Denying gives the game a longer laning phase and makes the game stagnant.
---
Pkmn=RJ FC 0817-0223-3392
PSN ID: HolySerpent
#20CovenantPosted 11/26/2012 10:51:30 AM
Vince40 posted...
Lane control is not bad.

League has lane control without denying. As such, you're setting up a false dichotomy here.

That adds more strategy to a strategic moba. How you can't grasp that or why you hate strategy is beyond me.

Hating poor implementations of strategy = hating strategy. Good argument.

Also to the person that doesn't like to compete for creeps. Don't touch a single creep all game, just go for kills please. No creeps at all. Lets me know how you do.

You can attack minions without competing for them. You can help push, help take jungle objectives, and help teammates last hit at towers without any competition at all.