I Would Like Your Help In Becoming a Better Player

#1NintendologicalPosted 11/26/2012 8:27:03 PM
After a year of watching several roommates play this game (including an exchange student from China), I decided to take the plunge. I installed the game on my Mac expecting a very arcade experience for this popular RTS. I used to love playing RTS games in the 90s. Starcraft and Red Alert in particular. But that was well over a decade ago and in no uncertain terms, I am now horrible at the genre.

I need help from more skilled players so that I can;

- Select an effective champion
- Learn strategies for taking down lanes
- Learn how to use techniques (Ults and other spells) for effective combinations
- Learn to bait mobs
- Learn to solo encounters

I went through the tutorials and even played a couple of private custom matches with bots, but it is clear to me that I must improve my skills with proper tutelage and independent study. S, any advice?
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#2GlobalCoolingPosted 11/26/2012 8:28:35 PM
Are you running boot camp or something?...
#3EDumeyPosted 11/26/2012 8:31:18 PM
Practice.

Honestly all it takes is experience. Keep doing those custom bot games until you can not die a tremendous amount, maybe even go positive score. Then go straight to PvP.

Do not spend too much time in bots.

I repeat.

Do not spend too much time in bots.

Playing against real people will teach you how to be aggressive and actually make plays. This will mean you'll lose trying to figure these things out. Every loss is a lesson learned. As long as you don't rage and blame everyone else for your losses, you'll learn and get better.

After you start going positive in your PvP matches, go back to bots and laugh as you can get upwards of 40-50 kills with ease without dying even once (or maybe a couple times cause you're greedy).

But again, not too much time in bots.

TL;DR: Play the game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZhLrT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H6Frl.jpg
#4aHappySackaPosted 11/26/2012 8:38:10 PM(edited)
Telling you what to do over the internet is not going to help that much at all, you should do some practice yourself in co-op against the bots to get the hang of the game. The most important thing is getting last hits for money, as well as map awareness to know what's going on. Regardless of how bad you do everything is a learning experience at your level even PvP, if you stay outside a door all your life you will never know what it's like on the other side.
---
Kitty Kat --> /\_/\
.................=(^_^)=
#5eco masterPosted 11/26/2012 8:35:00 PM
Seconding the third post here. Play games with people. Within a few AI games, you can develop bad habits, namely taking advantage of the AI's incredible predictability. You can tell me you're not doing that, but you are.

Just play the game. Play lots of champions, but find ones that you feel really good with and play those more frequently.
---
ill be here 4 u eco jus lyk the mop on the commercial babby-wechina23
fighting games suck-bluerain
#6capgamerPosted 11/26/2012 8:35:09 PM
My advice is to find a character you like and then play almost exclusively them for a while. Play them in bot games, real games, move them around the map (if your team will let you).

Experiment and get a handle on the basic mechanics, then move on to another character.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#7DrewdadruidPosted 11/26/2012 8:35:38 PM

thirded
---
http://www.damnlol.com/super-chuck-norris-15392.html
http://i.imgur.com/aBtgt.jpg IGN: DrewDaDruid
#8g-cube_mastaPosted 11/26/2012 8:38:31 PM
A lot of what you're looking for is just game knowledge.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_of_Legends_Wiki

there you can search things league related and learn

twitch.tv

here you can watch league of legends streams of professional players. This is the best way to learn a lot of advanced tactics.
---
~GameFAQs LoL Board President~
http://i.imgur.com/6rO0g.png
#9funkys-flightsPosted 11/26/2012 8:56:31 PM
A few champs to practice with off the bat:
Ryze & Morgana for mages/casters (which I recommend using ranged champs to start off with)

Trundle & Malphite for tanks

Practice interface, shop, controls: press "A" and then left click on the map to attack move. This will make your champ move and attack first enemy it sees. This helps for killing minions without over extending yourself. A champ like Ryze can help you practice hitting spells in rapid succession (an effective combo for him I believe is Q, W, Q, E, Q) as alternating his spells allows for more cooldown reduction.

He also helps get used to positioning: stay in the back and throw spells. His spells allow him to build a lot beefier than most mages, allowing you to take a hit if you mess up on accident.

Someone like Malphite is good to practice as he is the tank of the team, but has spells to help immobilize enemies and set up kills for teammates to take out. His ultimate has very noticable effects so even slow to react teammates will hear & see the ultimate and hopefully attack your target. A strong combo for him is R, E, W, then Q a valuable target and pummel them with basic attacks (called auto attacks)

Pay attention to minimap! click "V" and then left click your minimap to signal a warning/danger, or hold "Alt" and left click the minimap to signal attention to a certain spot.
---
................ ~...............
anoche sone contigo ;)
#10Zyx-WhitewindPosted 11/26/2012 9:19:24 PM
One of the things I wish was explained to me early on was team roles. The champs do have types but they are really vague or just wrong at times and dont explain where you should go. Knowing the roles helps a lot when picking a champ and knowing what role your team needs is important.

The main positions are mid, top, duo bot and jungle. If you have no jungle then you will have duo top but jungle is best.

Mid is the mage. They build magic damage to vary the type of damage your team does and farm gold and levels fastest. Its the most popular role. ex. Katrina, Annie, Zyra, Karthas

Next top. Usually close range brusers that hit hard and have a lot of defence and are hard to kill. 2nd most popular spot. Ex. Singed, Volibear, Darius, Irelia

Bot has an adc. Your main attacker, a carry with range. Usually the most powerful and the one to be targeted first in group fights. Needs gold, so often is given kills and allowed to kill all the minions himself. 3rd most popular spot. ex. Graves, Vayne, Ezreal, Kogmaw. cn
---
I lost my Game FAQ account...