So are DotA 2 pros just more ballsy than LoL pros?

#21DiortePosted 11/28/2012 1:32:00 AM(edited)
Shadowshiek69 posted...
Well of course DOTA 2 would have pros. DOTA 2 already has had 2 tournaments in which the winners won 1 million dollars. I believe LoL has only had 1 such tournament.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Tournaments

u sure bro i cant find dat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Xw0Aht1L0

Oh wait there it is. Real.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLgv9lJ9jE
#22VeeVeesPosted 11/28/2012 1:38:57 AM
higher % picked is meaningless. wins spread across more characters is a better measure of balance.
---
Rudy sucks
#23Mystic__HatePosted 11/28/2012 1:50:37 AM
Diorte posted...
Shadowshiek69 posted...
Well of course DOTA 2 would have pros. DOTA 2 already has had 2 tournaments in which the winners won 1 million dollars. I believe LoL has only had 1 such tournament.

Also
http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Tournaments/Major_Offline_Tournaments
---
necroix05 posted... As balanced as my breakfast.
but I only had the cereal
#24Shadowshiek69Posted 11/28/2012 1:53:47 AM
Diorte posted...
Shadowshiek69 posted...

Yeah there was one in 2011 and one a few months ago.
---
I want to be the very best.
#25kfcguy77Posted 11/28/2012 1:55:33 AM
Dota heroes are more unique in what they do then lol's champs. There aren't many heroes in dota where you can say "this hero does everything better then this other one" since for the most part, all of them are capable of doing something no one else can do.

Lol on the other hand, has fairly similar champs, which leads to a lot more cases of "this champ is pretty much strictly better then that champ." There are a couple reasons for this:

1. Most roles need some basic abilities to be able to perform their job. For example, almost all bruisers need some form of gap closer and cc to be able to reach and stick to the carry or protect your carry. In dota, you can get items to make up for a hero's shortcomings. In lol, it is a lot more limited in what you can do since there are certain criteria that you must meet to be usable.

2. Lol champs have to be appealing to a lot of players.This also means that they have to be accessible to a lot of players in terms of being able to actually play them. Although micro-managing in dota is cool and adds a lot to the game, the average lol player simply doesn't play enough to be able to learn it. Because of this, if lol were to introduce a very micro-intensive champ, a huge percentage of the players would not get them since they wouldn't be able to play them well. If dota releases a hero and no one wants to play them, then oh well. It doesn't harm them that much since everyone gets it anyway. New champs in lol are a big source of their income, so if no is interested in them enough to spend RP on them, then riot doesn't make money.

3. Lol champs have to be understandable to people without prior knowledge of them. This goes back to the whole "burden of knowledge" thing that morello always talks about. Yeah, I imagine if you spent 5 minutes reading about it, you could easily figure out what to expect from invoker. But until you spend that 5 minutes, you have absolutely no clue what to expect from him. A lot of other abilities in dota are completely unique in that you don't know what to expect until you get hit by it, and they're very different from anything else in the game. Granted, there still is some of this in lol, (Jax's counter-strike, annie's stun) but for the most part the abilities are fairly similar, so when you see a new champ, you can think "oh, this guy's ability is like some other guy's ability, so the strategy I use against that works here too."

Also, in lol a lot of the older champs are just dated and no longer really fit in the game between the changes that have been made over the years and new champ additions that have obsoleted older champs. Dota 2's additions are largely just porting over champs from dota 1, so they're already fairly balanced.

Of course, just my opinions.
#26protomole64Posted 11/28/2012 2:08:01 AM
mrg59 posted...
Master Cilander posted...
Diorte posted...
LMAO DotA has pros? How sad...

Such a stupid comment.

Scarra is on record saying this game is less competitive than Dota because its itemization is too simple, its champ unlocking system is a barrier to competitive play, etc. and you think it's sad a superior game has a competitive scene.

xd

Couple things wrong here. Being less competitive is a 100% opinionated comment. There is no way to prove either is more competitive. Dota 2 has more complex item system with more choices required, so its more competitive, you say? Well what if I say that in LoL you follow a much more restricted item set for your role, so you wind up having the same items, so the fight just comes down to pure player skill at the game, so that makes it more competitive? Both sides have their merits. The only thing wrong would be to assume you're right in one of them and the other is wrong.

And I'd like to point out that in the modern world, the blood of the world is money. $$$. LoL makes more money than any other MOBA. I therefor consider it to be superior to any other MOBA. I don't support games that don't have a big following and don't make a lot of money because who wants to support something that's not going to last. Better (opinionated again, not measurable) gameplay != superior game.

Go check out Firefly, one of the most entertaining sci-fi series ever created, yet it didn't do well enough for the network and they cut it. Compare that to Jersey Shore, which the cornerstone behind why I want a job outside of the USA when I get my degree this year. No matter how 'good' you think either show is, Jersey Shore is superior to Firefly in the modern world.

For people too stupid to read more than 3 lines: TL;DR: LoL makes more money than dota2 (and is therefor superior to it), and Jersey Shore is better than Firefly according to modern society.

While I agree with your reasoning behind jersey shore/firefly, it should be fair to note that the premiere of firefly wasn't actually the first episode, which made a great entrance for the series. Or the fact that it was put at an inconvenient time, and by which I mean fix kept changing its program time. Firefly had so much stuff screwed up because of fox themselves. /3amrant
---
Annie's always asking people to see her bare tibbers. ~ jalm94
#27kaysa13Posted 11/28/2012 3:14:57 AM(edited)
neon screen posted...

What are you even arguing about

mrg59 posted...
For people too stupid to read more than 3 lines: TL;DR: LoL makes more money than dota2 (and is therefor superior to it), and Jersey Shore is better than Firefly according to modern society.

-------

protomole64 posted...
While I agree with your reasoning behind jersey shore/firefly, it should be fair to note that the premiere of firefly wasn't actually the first episode, which made a great entrance for the series. Or the fact that it was put at an inconvenient time, and by which I mean fix kept changing its program time. Firefly had so much stuff screwed up because of fox themselves. /3amrant

I think the main point of his argument is, basically, it all comes down to who has the most revenue. As the old adage goes: numbers don't lie. And yes, while they only offer a part of the whole truth, it still points out that LoL is selling better than Dota2.
---
This is a signature.
#28Ultima_Weapon33Posted 11/28/2012 7:37:33 AM
Actually he was probably sarcastic in that popularity =/= quality and your idea of "selling" is stupid seeing as how DotA 2 is in closed beta and can actually be sold whereas League is a completely free game.
---
You'll see - Eternal love, that's what this is
This feeling that I just cannot resist... OD
#29shadyelfPosted 11/28/2012 7:38:51 AM
Like others said, it's more balanced and it's also been there for ages. And I feel like there's a lot of redundancy in LoL. Why play X when you can play Y comes up a lot when discussing champs. ANd for the pros who wanna win it's pretty much a no brainer to play the optimal stuff. You say you want to play something seldom seen and get shutdown because another champ does the same thing but better. The original 40 LoL champs felt varied and decent. Now we have a whole bunch of bruisers and assassins that are just there and don't offer much.
---
?
#30SlaynPosted 11/28/2012 7:54:02 AM
Jersey Shore is on MTV, not a major network, and reality TV costs practically nothing to make, until the stars start to get full of themselves.