Improving my ADC play

#1UNC_TarheelsPosted 12/3/2012 9:19:41 AM
Let me start by saying that I'm really bad at ADC. I got to level 30 playing jungler and mid, and so now that I'm trying to learn the carry role I'm way behind the curve and I am looking for ways to improve my play.

It's not last-hitting; I can usually stay even with my opponent if not beat them outright. It's not positioning in team fights, either- I stay in the back and deal smart damage, kiting when I need to.

No, my problem is harass. If I'm against a passive opponent, I win my lane every time. I farm better than they do, capitalize on their mistakes when they make them and finish laning phase 1/0 or 2/0 with a cs lead. If the enemy is aggressive? I'm screwed. I've lost three straight to aggressive opponents, and I cannot figure out what I need to do to get better at it. It usually goes like this: they push hard, we trade pokes back and forth, they get a good engage, kill one of us, and from there I'm either zoned out of cs or they dive and snowball the lane. The support starts raging and either afks or feeds deliberately; not because I say anything, but because I'm so damned bad.

Can anyone offer any good advice on countering aggressive lanes? Whether that's recommending good bottom lane comps, videos, whatever.

Thanks in advance.
---
Hit 'em low, Hit 'em high. And we'll watch our Eagles fly!
NFLB's worst Saints fan, as voted by Shamrock
#2TeeHunter13Posted 12/3/2012 9:32:21 AM
I had this problem too. Then I got a premade Sona.
---
And now, I'm thinking again, isn't there
something we can do about something we can't do anything about?
#3albinorhino004Posted 12/3/2012 10:04:31 AM
Eh if you use mumble I'd be willing to play support for you tomorrow and teach you some game sense
---
drinking is very bad
#4flaminglinkPosted 12/3/2012 10:08:08 AM
Play a Draven Leona lane.
Can't handle getting attacked? Just kill them.
---
http://gamercards.exophase.com/204819.png http://raptr.com/badge/Mistilteinn/fs_lastplayed.png
#5DoctorEggmanPosted 12/3/2012 10:10:16 AM
Its probably still CSing. Learning to CS in a vacuum is easy, learning to CS against aggressive opponents is the real trick.

You need to be able to split your focus and get last hits while being aware of possible ganks and your enemy laner. Continue practicing last hitting until you can do it without any real effort, and then you can begin to focus more on your lane opponents and their own last hitting (its easiest to land an auto or spell on an enemy when they're preoccupied with a last hit).
---
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
http://imgur.com/n8yh1
#6ExalxPosted 12/3/2012 10:17:39 AM
Depends on who you're up against. A good Leona is great for aggressive lanes though. Sona is good too. Graves goes well with them as well because he's all bursty and whatnot so he can wreck the enemy adc in those several seconds that they're stunned/slowed. He also has gap closer mixed with his attack speed steroid so he's really good at following up on engages.

Extra Tip: If you're playing aggressive, communication with your support can really help. The last thing you want is your support going in but you're slow on the uptake or vice versa. You have to use every millisecond of those stuns to make the most out of them.
---
Monster Hunter Tri: Exalx (2ZFG9Y) HR:130+
#7UNC_Tarheels(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 10:44:32 AM
DoctorEggman posted...
Its probably still CSing. Learning to CS in a vacuum is easy, learning to CS against aggressive opponents is the real trick.

You need to be able to split your focus and get last hits while being aware of possible ganks and your enemy laner. Continue practicing last hitting until you can do it without any real effort, and then you can begin to focus more on your lane opponents and their own last hitting (its easiest to land an auto or spell on an enemy when they're preoccupied with a last hit).

Fair point. Would you suggest last hit practice in a vacuum? Or diving into regular play and just asking my support to play a sustain/farm lane? I don't mind losing if it means I'm improving- the same cannot be said for whomever is supporting me -_-.
---
#8UNC_Tarheels(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 7:21:31 PM
Bump for more input. I'm really bad and really need help!
---
#9Sarick_LyrePosted 12/3/2012 7:33:46 PM
Just get more experience honestly. The people beating you probably just have more experience and there isn't a binary reaction or tip that would let you beat them according to that.

Engaging, disengaging, map awareness, not having to focus on the minions to last hit and being able to harrass yourself are all just something that comes with experience and knowing the lane a bit. You might even find playing some support to get the feel of the other side of the lane helpful.
#10UNC_Tarheels(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 10:32:26 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]