Is it a good idea to build a Haunting Guise early game...

#1GHExpert123Posted 12/3/2012 12:17:09 PM
On AP Tanky Amumu? I was thinking it over, and the health and Magic Pen stacking with my Magic Pen Runes and Boots would help him do a lot of damage. So I was just wondering if it's a good idea to build a Haunting Guise early then sell it and get something else later.
---
Dark Cloud 3 needs to be made already! People that agree with me: 43
Not changing my sig until Street Fighter: The Animated Series is on Netflix.
#2Morrowind789Posted 12/3/2012 1:22:59 PM(edited)
I guess so for the stacking pen early. I don't understand why people go AP tanky amumu though. The only AP item i buy is abysall and I still consistantly top the damage charts without stacking all that AP. My usual build is something like shuralias/randuins/sunfire/abysall/FH or FoN/Treads or Tabis. I'm basically unkillable unless i get focused hard, in which case i've still done my job

So my question, in a non condescending way, is what is the point of AP mumu?
---
SC2 : Koroioz 450
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS
#3SmishhhPosted 12/3/2012 1:25:00 PM
If you got some early kills and a nice gold lead, I'm sure doing so would help you enough to justify it. Its just not a very reliable investment to try building one unless you have all the gold up front and its decently early in the game. If you're just doing okay on farming and haven't gotten more than 1 kill it feels like you might as well just start buying components of a late game relevant item.

So I'd say try it out if next time you have a game where you are on a roll, but don't bother if its a slow match or you're behind.
#4furi kuriPosted 12/3/2012 1:26:51 PM
Morrowind789 posted...
I guess so for the stacking pen early. I don't understand why people go AP tanky amumu though. The only AP item i buy is abysall and I still consistantly top the damage charts without stacking all that AP. My usual build is something like shuralias/randuins/sunfire/abysall/FH or FoN/Treads or Tabis. I'm basically unkillable unless i get focused hard, in which case i've still done my job

So my question, in a non condescending way, is what is the point of AP mumu?

He has great ap ratios and will do great burst if built AP. It's not a bad idea to build haunting guise on him if you are ahead, but realize that you living longer with some tankiness to use your skills again will do more damage than bursting with haunting guise and then dying.
#5EDumeyPosted 12/3/2012 1:28:18 PM
The only AP item i buy is abysall and I still consistantly top the damage charts without stacking all that AP.

Now. Imagine you WERE stacking AP.

RoA for health, Hourglass and Abyssal for Resistances. Deathcap. One more item like Randuins for more tankiness. You are destroying at that point.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZhLrT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H6Frl.jpg
#6Morrowind789Posted 12/4/2012 2:13:18 AM
EDumey posted...
The only AP item i buy is abysall and I still consistantly top the damage charts without stacking all that AP.

Now. Imagine you WERE stacking AP.

RoA for health, Hourglass and Abyssal for Resistances. Deathcap. One more item like Randuins for more tankiness. You are destroying at that point.

I feel like my build comes around quicker, giving me earlier survivablity, and as i say i consistantly outdamage the carries in average length games while lasting longer in fights earlier in the game. Each of those items is extremely expensive, yes if you could get them all you destroy but getting there is the problem.
---
SC2 : Koroioz 450
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS
#7FerretDruidPosted 12/4/2012 2:25:46 AM
Rushing spell pen on Amumu isn't worth it, because your passive + runes will already drop almost anything to zero MR. Just build Abyssal. Late game Abyssal + your passive are reducing 55 MR.
---
Bear with me... things are about to get grizzly!
Fox is HOT!
#8SlaynPosted 12/4/2012 2:38:35 AM
You can easily build an abyssal and zhonya's, that's it for AP. Zhonya's is real good to dive on people, use it after ult to soak up the damage, or get turret aggro and pop it. TBH though I would wait for S3 that is coming up soon to worry about new item builds.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116