How necessary is the meta, to win games?

#1myklkleinPosted 12/6/2012 1:19:49 AM
Just had a team throw a fit in champion select because a few people didn't want the solotop, apmid, support/adc bot jungle thing exactly.

I've seen plenty of games won that were outside this stale formula, but it makes people really rage, apparently.
Opinions on deviation from the meta?
---
SC2:WOL --> Visarionovik 941
League of Legends & Battlefield 3 --> Visarionovik
#2Cirrus101Posted 12/6/2012 1:23:57 AM
in solo que meta is pretty much required: you replace not knowing each other with knowing "the plan"

In pre-made teams and the like, especially those communicating via skype or whatever, not going meta can actually win a fair number of games, provided your changes are well thought out and not just "lets send our adc solotop" retardation. You'll force the enemy team to adapt, and many can't.
---
Legend of Dragoon Forums:
http://legendodragoon.proboards67.com/
#3TomorrowDogPosted 12/6/2012 1:25:41 AM
Hardly matters at all if you aren't in high elo.

Top level players have been experimenting doing different things with solo lanes lately and it has been pretty successful.

With all of the changes it is looking like non-traditional supports or duo lanes have more tools/resources to be relevant.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#4Xander7756Posted 12/6/2012 1:31:51 AM
2 top, 1 mid, 2 bot is the most successful. Jungle is unnecessary. Try it. If your team has no jungle and the other team does, your chances of winning go up dramatically.
---
http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-national/alexander-hinkley
#5zeppelin312Posted 12/6/2012 1:33:23 AM
Xander7756 posted...
2 top, 1 mid, 2 bot is the most successful. Jungle is unnecessary. Try it. If your team has no jungle and the other team does, your chances of winning go up dramatically.

l
o
l
#6_HeXPosted 12/6/2012 1:35:24 AM
Xander7756 posted...

Except no one has smite so you lose out on the jungle objectives, and either one in the top lane loses out on farm or neither of the two in top gets decent farm because they are both taking cs.
---
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
#7Sarick_LyrePosted 12/6/2012 1:35:38 AM
Xander7756 posted...

This reminds me of primary school, back in the days of Pokemon. So many debates about how/what/if buttons being pressed made Pokemon captures easier.
#8darkportal56Posted 12/6/2012 1:38:40 AM
I think people don't like non-meta teams simply because when someone wants to go against the meta, it's not because they want to try something different to see if it works, they usually just want to troll. I had a Zilean call mid in a recent game. I figured alright, never seen a Zilean mid before, let's see how it goes. Then the game starts and he decides he wants to go bot with me instead, and we had no other mid. Then he steals our jungler's blue buff. Then he runs into the enemies, intentionally feeding. Then he went AFK. =/
#9Supercuaco666Posted 12/6/2012 1:43:24 AM
Xander7756 posted...

Trolling, right?

No ganks, 2 guys splitting farm and exp. Free jungle for the enemy team.
Their jungler will wreck your adc and mid while you get a pair of non-fed bruisers.
---
I'm apparently horse food.
#10TomorrowDogPosted 12/6/2012 2:04:17 AM
To be fair, you can still take Smite even if you don't identify your role as jungler. And the threat to bottom and mid lanes isn't the enemy jungler wrecking them, but rather the enemy laners being free to play aggressive without any worry.

On the upside you can put a lot of pressure on top lane though, especially if you take red/blue buff in to that lane. Being underfarmed yourself can be offset by the damage being done to the enemy top's income.

But whatevs.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert