Slayn's Review on Support S3

#1SlaynPosted 12/6/2012 10:57:59 AM(edited)
I have to say, I like the new changes. It feels a lot more... dynamic. First of all, the masteries I run are 0/9/21. I might run a lil different, I didn't get the mana per level because I feel that now it is useless and the summoner and active item CDR are especially important now. I take the free starting ward and biscuit because... why not? I actually did NOT take the CDR because my build gets max CDR without it. I also take improved heal in defense because I am going to experiment with heal now.

Start off with flask, two wards, biscuit, and free ward. Damned good start, and now that they buffed base move speed and nerfed boots, it feels MUCH less of a difference.

Crystalline flask- This is a God send. I HIGHLY recommend it, especially on Sona. It gives you HP and mana, so you can spam even more spells in lane, either to heal or harass. I pretty much used them all each and every time before I went B. I would keep it as late as possible.

Sightstone- Yeah this thing is great. It slightly limits how much you can put down at one time, but if you really need 5 wards, you can always put more down. Upgrades to have some more HP later, or you can sell it to buy a full stack of 5 if you REALLY need it.

Kages->Shard- This was a weird one, the passive is very cool it keeps the gold flowing all game. The mana manipulator I guess is nice but hardly noticable. The active I thought was going to be lame but the range on it is WAY more than I thought.

Chalice->Mikaels- I really love that a support can now get a chalice and build it in to a support item. Between the flask and chalice, you can actually use your abilities without going OOM. I haven't tried Mikaels yet because I never seem to get this far in game.

Eleisa's- Not 100% sure on this, but it seems to work fine. I feel like I am actually saving money with the sightstone, so it is a bit easier to get this. I believe that Heal is finally viable, maybe even CV, so this might be a good idea if you take either and are getting many assists.

Bulwark- Makes aegis more slot efficient. The problem is that there are so many other good items for support, and you probably wont have the money to upgrade. IMO more people will be buying this either top or jungle. Find out if they are.

To top it off I go CDR boots, Shurelyas, and Zekes to get max CDR.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#2OximofoPosted 12/6/2012 10:58:51 AM
I'm glad they made supporting more like Leo and Ali, on all supports. Babysitting was not interesting at all.

Now if they can sort of curtail the deathmatch that the other lanes are now.
---
Legendary Loser GT: Oximofo9 PSN: oximofo9
http://i53.tinypic.com/2969fq.jpg
#3Camel-RiderPosted 12/6/2012 11:07:58 AM
Babysitting was not interesting at all.

If you did this before (sitting in bush doing "nothing"), you were doing it wrong.

My guess is you will continue to do it wrong.
---
LoL IGN: The Camel Rider
#4zefigPosted 12/6/2012 11:17:42 AM
The new support options are mostly for AP caster type supports, rather than tanky ones like Leona. I'm thinking Leona now gets just philo stone and then sight/aegis.
---
Wii FC: 1686 5820 3040 7075
XBL: PettyAlchemy
#5Village IdiotPosted 12/6/2012 11:57:01 AM
Heres my opinion after experimentation:

Shard of True Ice - Great item. In the laning phase, it basically ensures that when the jungler comes ganking, the enemy target is dead unless they Flash. However, its use is more limited if your lane is winning and your jungler is off helping the other lanes, unless you're playing a melee support. I would get Shard if you're losing and need jungler ganks to help your ADC catch up, and skip it as first buy if you're already winning the lane.

Zekes Herald- Amazing. Just amazing now. Gives you Health, CDR, and a +20 AD, +10% lifesteal aura. It basically gives everyone around you 1x Longsword + 1x Vamp Scepter. I tend to get this as my first major item if we're winning the lane so my ADC can continue to snowball as the aura is huge since it also significantly buffs your own damage and your jungler should they come ganking as well.

Aegis/Bulwark - Honestly, I don't build it anymore. Its great...for yourself. I don't find it as good anymore due to both the higher cost, as well the changes to how penetration works making defense naturally weaker. Its good if you upgrade it to Bulwark, but the total cost is really expensive (3200g) and you could just build a Locket of Iron Solari for 2000g for its teamwide shield and be 1/2 way there to your next major support item instead.

Mikael's Crucible - Great item, can essentially spam spells non-stop and gives you a free Cleanse + Mini-Heal on a 3 min timer. I tend to get this if the enemy team have some kind of really strong, hard CC like Skarner's ult in order to save a teammate. However, its weakness is that its on a really, long CD timer, but have the potential to make or break a team fight.

Elesia's Miracle - After experimentation, I have mixed thoughts on this one. Yes, the stats are great. However you have to get it early on so that it disappears quicker, but if you do that, Philo won't be generating much gold at all. The main reason to get it is for the 20% CDR on Heal/Revive/Clairvoyance.

Twin Shadows - Well gee, gives you AP, Movement Speed, and Magic Resist. Great stats. Whats even better is the active, it sends out two, pretty fast, ghosts out that seeks the two nearest champions, gives them a -40% MS debuff, and also reveals them to catch brush campers. It basically gives any champion a long range slow, but on a 2 minute timer. It can be used to help chase someone down, force a team fight or let the target die, escape (especially during the laning phase when the enemy ADC/Support can't catch up), etc. Champs like Skarner will love you for this item, as it practically guarantees a R.

Shurelias - Well they significantly nerfed the regen, but otherwise people will still buy this for the movement speed active aura. I personally delay upgrading my Philo till later and get a Shard of True Ice instead.

Locket of Iron Solari - I love this item now. Great, cheap stats (HP, Armor, HP Regen, CDR) along with the damage shield active. Personally, I build this instead of Aegis/Bulwark now since its significantly cheaper.

Crystaline Flask - Amazing. You don't need to start Fairie Charm anymore since Flask gives you the equivilent of nearly 4 minutes worth of Fairie Charm mana. This item really helps you spam spells more often in lane. I tend to sell it later on when the regen doesn't cut it anymore and I use the slot for either more wards or another item.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#6Village IdiotPosted 12/6/2012 11:57:07 AM
Now my masteries is 0/9/21

Starting items are:

Flask
3x Wards
2x Heal Pots, or 1x Heal Pot + 1x Mana Pot
1x Free Biscuit
1x Free Ward

You can use the Biscuit together with a potion for super temp regen.

Gives me super sustain in the lane, and I usually don't B until I have enough gold for the Sightstone. Just a note though, don't rush Sightstone if you're being pushed to the tower, get a Philo/Kage first then a Shard of True Ice and your jungler comes in to guarrantee a kill.

Remember, Sightstone gives you more effective GP10 than a Philo due to the savings on wards.

Afterward Philo/Sightstone, what I build next depends on how the lane is going:

If we're winning, I build Zeke's so we continue to snowball.

If we're losing, I build Shard of True Ice to help our jungler secure kills.

Afterwards, I build according to the situation, but I usually build a Locket for the barrier.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#7TekutsoPosted 12/6/2012 11:59:13 AM
Camel-Rider posted...
Babysitting was not interesting at all.

If you did this before (sitting in bush doing "nothing"), you were doing it wrong.

My guess is you will continue to do it wrong.

At least he goes by pick order.
---
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didnt do"~Voltaire
#8Camel-RiderPosted 12/6/2012 12:00:10 PM

Neither pick order, nor calling take priority over each other. So get over it and stop being a baby.
---
LoL IGN: The Camel Rider
#9TekutsoPosted 12/6/2012 12:00:57 PM
Camel-Rider posted...

Neither pick order, nor calling take priority over each other. So get over it and stop being a baby.

Im never going to let that go.
---
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didnt do"~Voltaire
#10ssj98_gotenksPosted 12/6/2012 12:03:04 PM
Ill make a retort later