I think I'm killing too much as support. Do I need to avoid this?

#1XialohPosted 12/6/2012 12:10:55 PM
Newbie player here. I'm used to playing champs like Irelia and Diana, so more kills has generally been best, but considering my role, I'm pretty sure being fed is irrelevant for me. here's a screenshot of my last game/every other game I've done as Sona since buying her:

http://i.imgur.com/wsq7X.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5QKTh.jpg

My teams are usually terrible, but seems like I shouldn't be pulling off the kills in teamfights. In that last game I finished with over 1k more gold than our second best guy, and I'm not gearing to kill people (last game was my first attempt at buying Kage's), so it's semi wasted. I just go in, throw out my stun, and people die shortly thereafter. I get the kills pretty often, especially when chasing down runners. Being ranged, and using song of celerity.

I just don't see these numbers on Sona when spectating. They're higher elo, but maybe I need to adjust how kill secure happy (and I don't mean that I'm KS'ing, I'm in those fights contributing at all times generally) I am at all levels of play?

tl;dr I'm just not sure if I need to simply assume my team mates are too bad to get kills, or if I need to literally stop attacking, risking an escape, so that a carry or assassin can potentially get the gold instead.
---
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
#2Alakazam_fanPosted 12/6/2012 12:16:37 PM
>Killing people
>Playing support

The answer seems blatantly obvious, don't you think?
---
Don't stop, never give up, hold your head high and reach the top. Let the world see what you have got. Bring it all back to you.
~Elise is mai waifu~
#3Knight_Of_OrderPosted 12/6/2012 12:17:30 PM
"I support you by killing the enemy"
---
Amid the turmoil and tumult of battle, there may be seeming disorder and yet no real disorder at all
Sun Tzu
#4Ace_0f_SpadesPosted 12/6/2012 12:17:47 PM
If you can, avoid it. If theres absolutely no way the carry can get the kill, then finish them off. Same with csing.
---
GT: LaFleur24
#5Xialoh(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 12:18:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6Hadoken101Posted 12/6/2012 12:19:14 PM
If they're going to get away otherwise, don't feel bad about taking a kill as support. At the same time, if it's a definite kill (the person is just completely locked down or they won't get out of range) then try to back off and let someone else get the kill.
#7VergilkillaPosted 12/6/2012 12:25:55 PM
Don't get kills that others can easily get. If it's more of a question/iffy situation...it'sa judgement call up to you and determined by your playstyle.
---
"The lions come storming in...the spectacle...begins..."
#8Rydis-ShikoPosted 12/6/2012 12:27:19 PM
Does getting kills support your team? Of course
---
If good things come to those who wait - arn't they just the leftovers of those who got there first?
There is not good or bad, just perspective and opinion.
#9Xialoh(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 12:30:54 PM(edited)
Ace_0f_Spades posted...
If you can, avoid it. If theres absolutely no way the carry can get the kill, then finish them off. Same with csing.

Hadoken101 posted...
If they're going to get away otherwise, don't feel bad about taking a kill as support. At the same time, if it's a definite kill (the person is just completely locked down or they won't get out of range) then try to back off and let someone else get the kill.

I suppose I'll keep doing what I'm doing then. I can think of a couple instances during early laning where I could have backed without much of an issue, but I'm not so sure in teamfights. When it's a frenzy and winning or losing seems to often come down to just a few points of HP in favor of one side, I can't seem to justify just stepping away and doing nothing when every guide seems to even recommend that I level my attack before my heal.

I'll try to give the kills to others, but my teammates are often dead from their misguided attempt, or running just as I've thrown out a stun. They start to run back in, but by then I end up killing someone.

edit: as a rule, I take CS when my laning partner won't manage it (which is often enough since they're often melee). I can't stand the games I see where the support ignores CS under all circumstances. What elo am I spectating through the main game spectate anyway?
---
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
#10SlaynPosted 12/6/2012 12:32:51 PM
Even supports in pro games get kills sometimes, don't worry about it. Don't blatantly steal kills though. I used to do that for fun, time the last Q just right on Sona. Honestly if people blame you taking kills on why they lost, they just suck. An extra few kills isn't going to make them stop feeding. Your team especially sucked. Probably just a bunch of people playing low level accounts, and you got the crappy ones.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116