Is Black Cleaver the new Atma's?

#1xRustySpoonPosted 12/7/2012 8:51:23 AM(edited)
Every game I've seen on streams, bruisers are buying this item 99% of the time. I thought the whole point of the S3 item changes were to give people more variety in their builds, but it's starting to remind me of the old Atma's where almost every bruiser would buy it as a second item.

It's like, Riven top? Get some sustain, then Black Cleaver. Pantheon mid? Black Cleaver rush. Jarvan Jungle? Wriggles then Black Cleaver. Hell, Ezreal bottom? Maybe a phage first, then Black Cleaver. I understand that it's a new item and people want to test it out, but I'm not seeing much variety thus far.
---
Get destroyed.
GT/Steam: xRustySpoon Follow these tips and you'll be fraggin' like a pro.
#2RzulPosted 12/7/2012 8:53:17 AM
Because it destroys armor. You'll basically be doing true damage to your opponent if you have good sustain and can stick to them. That's why.
---
Vi is my waifu. Deal with it.
3DS FC: 4038-6009-6930 PSN: Rzul96xsEED
#3themagicpainmanPosted 12/7/2012 8:54:13 AM
I thought they said it's "downside" was going to be that it doesn't grant much AD, so if the opponents aren't building a lot of armor it won't be as effective.

Doesn't seem to be the case.
---
"Combine Cloak and Dagger with Boots of Swiftness so CC doesn't stop you from moving faster toward defeat." - Frost_shock_FTW
#4Wingding11Posted 12/7/2012 8:55:57 AM
It has every stat a bruiser could want, a nice buildup, and it's relevant early, mid, and lategame. Of course every bruiser is going to build it. Even Atma's in its prime had the iffy crit working against it.
---
I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. - G.K. Chesterton
#5FreshSushiPosted 12/7/2012 8:57:08 AM
People didn't rush Atmas, everyone rushes BC.
---
AE 2012: (Gouken), LoL: (Cho, Morde, J4), Chivalry: (Van)
Dark Souls 2, Cave Story 2 plz
#6SoraOwnsAllPosted 12/7/2012 8:57:53 AM
Dyrus built 3 Black Cleavers on Talon.
---
"I'm no hero, never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wet work." - Solid Snake.
#7RzulPosted 12/7/2012 8:57:54 AM
It's because people are combing it with Frozen Mallet and Ravenous Hydra. Stickiness, sustain, massive splash damage, armpen, true damage, and eventual death.

Darius is happy.
---
#8xRustySpoon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 9:05:54 AM(edited)
It has every stat a bruiser could want, a nice buildup, and it's relevant early, mid, and lategame. Of course every bruiser is going to build it. Even Atma's in its prime had the iffy crit working against it.

Exactly my point. So how does introducing an item like this increase variety?
---
Get destroyed.
GT/Steam: xRustySpoon Follow these tips and you'll be fraggin' like a pro.
#9KeepItCivilPosted 12/7/2012 8:58:50 AM
Yeah Black Cleaver is most likely OP. Good news is that it'll likely get nerfed a tad.
---
Kill dangerous wildlife and wear it as a hat.
#10RzulPosted 12/7/2012 9:00:13 AM
xRustySpoon posted...

Exactly my point. So how is introducing an item like this increase variety?

Well tbh We've known that Cleaver was getting changed for about a month and a half now, so for obvious reasons, people are going to want to play it constantly.
---