Remember when people thought Ezreal was bad?

#11DottledPosted 12/8/2012 8:34:06 AM
Ezreal was the first AD carry I managed to do well with, mainly because it took me quite a while to realise just how important positioning was for ADC and so his E compensated for my many mistakes. He also made me love skillshots. People always thought he was bad back then too; probably because they seen me playing him lol.
---
Overused memes disqualify you from conversing with me.
#12OmfgitsBlahPosted 12/8/2012 8:35:12 AM
Dark_Luna3 posted...
KeepItCivil posted...
Dark_Luna3 posted...
Same thing happened with Cass.
Same thing happened with Malphite.
Same thing happened with Kayle.

Same thing will happen to Viktor and Sejuani.

'Minor buffs' are enough to randomly convince people that a champion is good (and vice versa). Not for any legitimate reason, but community is just... strange like that.

And then everyone is like "I knew they were great all along!!!!11". Pffff.

Cass was not minor though. She had to eat like, what, 5 buffs?

I suppose, but even after those buffs, everyone thought she was mediocre. And most of those 'buffs' were bugfixes.

It was like April 2011 she got her last set of changes. It took people 6 months to realise she was good.

I recall posting about her in summer 2011 and everyone was calling her outclassed. Almost everyone. You know why it was 'almost everyone'? Hive-mind.

I thought it was more that a lot of other ADs got nerfed along with his tiny W mana cost reduction.

Hmm. Aside from Graves, not many ADCs got nerfed really. Cait/MF have been receiving buffs for ages for example. Even Ashe got some changes a long while ago. Corki went unnoticed for a long time as well.

Even if you to look before Grave's release, It was pretty much Vayne+Cait+Ashe. I guess Vayne is another one that got toned down.

Corki got noticed when they made his missiles absolutely ridiculously scaling. They nerfed it, but he stuck around.
---
If inflaton turns $3 into $0, then $6 turns into $3. -Orca
#13Ravid182Posted 12/8/2012 8:36:10 AM
This happens again and again with champs.

People are just sheep and don't think for themselves, and then when people realize they are popular, they act as if they were always right and that something suddenly became amazing with them.

A good example too is olaf. He got one "buff" [which people at the time actually mathematically found out was an overall nerf, but it was perceived as a buff] Which even if it didn't work out to be an overall nerf [incredibly slight though, so he was effectively close enough to the same] he became stupid popular and people finally accepted him as a viable champion.
#14RihawfPosted 12/8/2012 8:40:22 AM
That's how our community works.
Just wait when Kennen is FotM again.
---
LoL NA IGN: MyakkoFirst|steam: rihawf
League of Legends BR IGN: Rihawf (who'd know?)
#15Dark_Luna3Posted 12/8/2012 8:54:04 AM
KeepItCivil posted...
Dark_Luna3 posted...
KeepItCivil posted...
Dark_Luna3 posted...
Same thing happened with Cass.
Same thing happened with Malphite.
Same thing happened with Kayle.

Same thing will happen to Viktor and Sejuani.

'Minor buffs' are enough to randomly convince people that a champion is good (and vice versa). Not for any legitimate reason, but community is just... strange like that.

And then everyone is like "I knew they were great all along!!!!11". Pffff.

Cass was not minor though. She had to eat like, what, 5 buffs?

I suppose, but even after those buffs, everyone thought she was mediocre. And most of those 'buffs' were bugfixes.

It was like April 2011 she got her last set of changes. It took people 6 months to realise she was good.

I recall posting about her in summer 2011 and everyone was calling her outclassed. Almost everyone. You know why it was 'almost everyone'? Hive-mind.

Important bugfixes. Do you remember how much problems there were with the ult? "Bugged ult" was one of the biggest reasons people answered when asked Why Not Cass. That, and I can't quite remember which mages were in fashion at the time, which may have had an influence too.

Thing about bugfixes is that they only cover up potential in a champion. Even when Cass received those fixes, it took a while for the community to catch up.

It's the same deal with Sej now. Her kit is stupid powerful (I'm serious.. It took me dozens of games to realize it, but I eventually realized it) but her passive is extremely broken (anyone with Tenacity or CC immunity is a big pain to play against). Fix that (along with the Season 3 changes that just happened), and you have a very strong champion.

Viktor also needs bug fixes and something done with the passive, but number/kit wise he's effin' strong.

People will refuse to believe that though on the basis of how others perceive them (which is a chain reaction). It will come around eventually though.

Obviously champions like Karma/Sion/Fiora are beyond bugfixes and meta shifts. There are many legitimate reasons for flawed mechanics in general. Although I would value their strengths.
#16AirsoftcomebackPosted 12/8/2012 9:13:38 AM
Ezreal WAS bad

Then he got his W buffed, and the meta changed to really high mobile champs with gap closers.

Which meant that AD carries needed to have an escape to survive. Which is why the holy trinity of ez graves corki surfaced.

Ez was always good in lane as well, and when the meta shifted towards a more aggressive bot lane, he also shined
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1555051/cle.gif http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1875n6uzefjuxgif/original.gif
LOL IGN: Paintballreturns
#17Kuroth_NeidraPosted 12/8/2012 9:35:38 AM
Ezreal did not fit in with the old meta version of an ADC.

Then when that changed, he suddenly fit in better and was good.

It really had almost nothing to do with buffs and nerfs, just a change in playstyle towards more mobile/bursty.
---
"How are you a vet if you can't fly and shoot laser beams? It just doesn't make any sense." -Raging_Placenta
#18DeathWyvernPosted 12/8/2012 2:44:19 PM
I've always played and thought ezreal was a good champion.

Especially back when I built him AP when he was first released and helped heal my team and destroy people with that ult.
---
Gamertag - Mythologick
Playing - Halo: Reach, Starcraft 2, Tales of Vesperia
#19Lord SojiroPosted 12/8/2012 2:52:07 PM(edited)
Forgettable posted...
Then Phreak introduced the idea of maxing W instead of Q, which made him really good. Then W got nerfed and people are now maxing Q over W again, but his numbers are more or less the same as when he was considered bad, yet now Ezreal is considered really good.

Nope. I do remember when all the passive supports got nerfed though and then the burst bottom lane started. Not to mention other AD carries received nerfs.
---
Oh no! It's Idiot power!
#20VoidgolemPosted 12/8/2012 3:16:15 PM(edited)
Nobody played Malphite before some tournament way back at the start of the year.

Suddenly he became #1 ban because of **** he's been able to do since the game launched.

What I'm saying is: When all the alternatives get nerfed and your hit has Good **** in it, suddenly you're gonna be top tier.
---
"Assume all cover will explode. And if it doesn't explode, expect aliens to throw grenades in order to fix that"