How does one play support(Nami topic)?

#1marceloxlrPosted 12/8/2012 7:06:19 PM
First of all, i'm sorry, i'm really sorry about asking this. I've tried looking around the net but couldn't find a solid answer to my question.

I want to buy and use Nami as my main support because...why the hell not? I like support in almost every game and she just sounds fun and good to use, plus it's nice to have a support for my team(playing with friends).

Now, i've tried Soraka, Taric, Sona and even other supports but i just couldn't find the right build, when and where to use wards, etc... so i wasn't doing a very solid job with them.

What would be a good build and strategy for someone like Nami?
---
"...Because inside people's memories, i can live forever."
-Lea(Axel)
#2iXCelticXiPosted 12/8/2012 7:10:39 PM
marceloxlr posted...
First of all, i'm sorry, i'm really sorry about asking this. I've tried looking around the net but couldn't find a solid answer to my question.

I want to buy and use Nami as my main support because...why the hell not? I like support in almost every game and she just sounds fun and good to use, plus it's nice to have a support for my team(playing with friends).

Now, i've tried Soraka, Taric, Sona and even other supports but i just couldn't find the right build, when and where to use wards, etc... so i wasn't doing a very solid job with them.

What would be a good build and strategy for someone like Nami?

Come on, don't be sorry for asking a question! Most folks are happy to help!
I am not so sure on exact builds this season quite yet as I am still learning the new S3 stuff.
Sites like LoLpro and SoloMid are great places for beginners to start though!
---
LoL IGN: TA HumblePie.
Formerly GreedyCowPuncher, Support Main.
#3flaminglinkPosted 12/8/2012 7:11:57 PM
Max W for a babysitting lane or E for an aggressive lane.
Nami seems to go OOM pretty easily, so investing in a bit more mana regen may not be a bad idea.
Use her ult to follow up on an initiation or to counter initiate. Popping Shurelia's and Locket on top of that results in an absurdly strong start to a fight
As for wards, try to keep a ward up in front of the dragon to watch for gank and to watch dragon. Do the same once baron gets up. For the jungle, try to drop wards in the middle of intersections. If you're on the defensive, be sure to ward your buffs, and ward their buffs on the offensive.
---
http://gamercards.exophase.com/204819.png http://raptr.com/badge/Mistilteinn/fs_lastplayed.png
#4funkys-flightsPosted 12/8/2012 7:15:09 PM
the ward stone is a key support item right now, under HP items. Kage's lucky pick and philo stone are pretty core on her i'd say, then finish them as you'd like. Also recommend cooldown boots
---
................ ~...............
anoche sone contigo ;)
#5Edge4o7_Posted 12/8/2012 7:16:32 PM
Starting items vary, but you need early wards.

You can start flask, wards and some pots for high sustain
You can start Faerie charm, rejuv bead, 2 wards for early philo
You can start faerie charm, pink, 2 green and 2 pots I think for an early pink

A generic support build for me generally looks something like this

Starting items
Philo
Sightstone
Kages if applicable
Chalice if I want mikael's vs their team
boots 1
Ruby sightstone
armor/health regen item that builds in to aegis if I need the armor

From there it's situational. Shurelia's soon, aegis or banner, twin shadows is really strong or shard of true ice which is also strong.

Depends on both team comps. It's about what auras or actives you feel your team would benefit from the most depending on how the game is currently playing out.
---
XBL: Edge4o7
P4A: Yu UMvC3 Zero/Dante/Sent
#6hyorinryuPosted 12/8/2012 7:22:08 PM
I don't know if I would decide whether to max w or e first based on whether the lane is passive or not, most lanes are pretty aggressive nowadays.
i would base it on your carry. If you think your carries going to have to trade a lot, max W. If your carry is someone who isn't as likely to trade, Cait for example, I would max e first, was that doesn't have scaling mana costs IIRC. Regardless, I would take Q first on lvl 1. AoE knockups are nice.

As for specific builds, I don't really know, the season's new and I'm not exactly a high Elo player. Just build general support stuff based on the situation(usually auras, gp10 items, sightstone.) As for wards, I'm pretty sure there's a map somewhere detailing where wards should go.
---
Not changing this sig unless a sequel for Kirby Air Ride is released or I change my mind Started 8 12 2008
#7marceloxlr(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 3:39:21 AM
Okay guys, found a map with the ward place, going to try those builds when i get home today.

Any other tips?
---
"...Because inside people's memories, i can live forever."
-Lea(Axel)
#8Edge4o7_Posted 12/9/2012 3:56:09 AM
I haven't watched it yet but I just saw this in my sub box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IumG1v7x4bE&feature=g-subs-u
---
XBL: Edge4o7
P4A: Yu UMvC3 Zero/Dante/Sent