The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Season 3: Skarner

#1KirbixPosted 12/8/2012 8:57:27 PM
It seems like everyone agrees that Skarner's got a very strong presence in the new jungle, but apart from "OMG GET GAUNTLET!", there doesn't seem to be any real discussion about how to itemize on him anymore. Maybe we can have a topic dedicated to that discussion.

Season 3 Skarner has so many different options to choose from, and a lot of the new items really benefit him a lot. Here is what I've learned so far:

- Typical Jungle start of Machete/5 goes without saying. My early game goals are Philo, Spirit Stone & Boots. Lots of regen to help with your jungle sustain, a GP/10 and the Spirit Stone passive makes your Q that much more effective at clearing camps.
- Mid-game items are some combination of Wardens, Wits, Shurelyas, and Aegis. Sightstone as well, though admittedly that's one that I still neglect more often than I should >_>
- Boots 2 is either Mercs or Tabi. I've personally never gotten why people use Mobility on Skarner when his W already gives a speed boost and he benefits so much from the tank and/or tenacity. However, Furor is definitely the preferred enchantment, with a possible Captain enchantment

When it comes to tenacity, I'll either get the Spirit of the Ancient Golem w/ Tabi or I'll get Mercs Treads and actually just sell the Spirit Stone in favor of another item

I've yet to play a game where having both Randuins & FH felt necessary; with both building out of Wardens, so I build that and then its one or the other.

Builds I've used:

Full Tank
Ninja Tabi
Spirit of the Ancient Golem
Frozen Heart
Wits
Runic Bulwark
Ruby Sightstone

Off-tank
Merc Treads
Shurelya
Randuins
Wits
Iceborne Gauntlet
Ruby Sightstone

I definitely see the merit in getting the gauntlet instead of Triforce. With ArPen getting its (justifiable) nerf, it will be useful to stack armor again, and 60 armor outweighs the AD & AS for me. Not to mention the CDR & Cheaper cost.

So, discuss! Rip the build apart, copy it, whatever. I really like Skarner and I'd love some feedback from other players about what has worked and what has not.
---
Signatures that consist of quotes are bizarre- you could falsify a quote and no one would know.-Jesus
#2OtachiSwordXLPosted 12/8/2012 8:59:56 PM
A lot of people make the argument for movement because tenacity is relatively easy to come by now--especially since Zephyr is good on him. Honestly, I just pick it up because Mres is hard to come by in large quantities.
---
Zomg, Otachi too? BEST. ORGY. EVER. - Boldrin
I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions!
#3iiTryhardPosted 12/8/2012 9:01:19 PM
Tag, love me some skarner.
---
XBL: iiTryHaard
Yes, i i do try hard http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2012/08/imgur-dofor.jpg
#4Small_appliancePosted 12/8/2012 9:02:58 PM
I like to spec into Utility for my masteries up to wealth so you can start machete/flask/biscuit. It's been working really well so far.
---
Cooler than Freddie Jackson sippin' a milkshake in a snowstorm.
#5neon screenPosted 12/8/2012 9:14:05 PM
I've been using mobility boots since season 2, and there's even more reason to buy them now that you can get golem stone for tenacity.

Also ice gauntlets feel redundant on Skarner, sometimes they're justified but I would almost always get FH first.
#6malicemizeryPosted 12/8/2012 9:14:25 PM
Still playing around with what build path to take, but machete/5 makes starting out seem so much safer than regrowth/1 was. The extra damage makes me forget about rushing sheen also.

My build so far is

machete/5 > boots > Spirit Stone > Philo > Kindlegem (I'll sit on philo stone until team fights start for the gold gain) > boots2 > elder lizard > sheen > then i'll either build raduins or finish iceborn gauntlet.

Still trying to find what the 6th item will be. Most likely a situational item for more damage or tanky.
#7Kirbix(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 10:41:12 PM(edited)
A lot of people make the argument for movement because tenacity is relatively easy to come by now--especially since Zephyr is good on him. Honestly, I just pick it up because Mres is hard to come by in large quantities.

Agreed; I wouldn't pick Wits up if it weren't for the 20/40 Mres it gives.

I've been using mobility boots since season 2, and there's even more reason to buy them now that you can get golem stone for tenacity.

Also ice gauntlets feel redundant on Skarner, sometimes they're justified but I would almost always get FH first.

FH vs. Gauntlet are, to me, a difference of how you're using skarner. Skarner gets a huge DPS boost from sheen procs, and so an offensive-minded Skarner gets sheen; they've been doing that since I started using him this Summer. If I'm going to play aggressively and get Sheen, I'd rather get the Gauntlet and Randuins (Which gives 500 health and 130 armor combined) than FH & Triforce (which gives 90 armor & 250 health). But as I said in the original post, I'll get FH if I'm not intending to play DPS.
I like to spec into Utility for my masteries up to wealth so you can start machete/flask/biscuit. It's been working really well so far.

I totally forgot about masteries. I've been running 0/21/9 for the runic affinity. I love the slow reduction & innate tenacity from the defense tree- it makes skarner that much more difficult to stop.

Still playing around with what build path to take, but machete/5 makes starting out seem so much safer than regrowth/1 was. The extra damage makes me forget about rushing sheen also.

My build so far is

machete/5 > boots > Spirit Stone > Philo > Kindlegem (I'll sit on philo stone until team fights start for the gold gain) > boots2 > elder lizard > sheen > then i'll either build raduins or finish iceborn gauntlet.

Still trying to find what the 6th item will be. Most likely a situational item for more damage or tanky.

How is Lizard elder on him? It seems like it'd be amazing for his Q procs, but you lose so much tank in getting it...
---
Signatures that consist of quotes are bizarre- you could falsify a quote and no one would know.-Jesus