New player, need tips on melee char

#1Alom_o_molaPosted 12/9/2012 5:41:44 AM
I've grown accustomed to playing ranged characters as they're able to harass their opponent from farming. When I play melee characters however, I'm subjected to their harassment which makes me back off from the battle.

What should I do in this situation?
---
UMvC3 Team ~ Nova[Centurion Rush]/Rocket Raccoon[Spitfire]/Amaterasu[Cold Star] ~ PSN: Xr0s-up
Official Galactus of UMVC3
#2kagster123Posted 12/9/2012 5:44:39 AM
Use a bruiser with a gap closer.

Think Irelia, Not Udyr.
---
Pokemon White2 FC: 2667 0066 7803
Pokemon Black FC: 3869 5254 3412
#3RzulPosted 12/9/2012 6:59:46 AM
Or just play Darius and E>W>Q>R and win lane immediately. Darius hurts stupid overaggressive and overextended players hard. With the right build, you won't need to worry about damage, because you'll soak damage and R them all.

I honestly don't see why Darius gets so much hate. He's about as faceroll-y as Jax or Olaf yet people constantly moan and complain about Darius. Tbqh I think it's more his passive that's annoying then his R. There are so many Darius' that pop his ult to early and wonder why they aren't doing well. Yet they don't take advantage of the free ignite that is his passive.
---
Vi is my waifu. Deal with it.
3DS FC: 4038-6009-6930 PSN: Rzul96xsEED
#4Gun SagePosted 12/9/2012 7:20:16 AM
It's because he's so easy to use effectively. He requires next to no skill outside the norm to do very well with, whereas someone like Jax or Irelia require a lot more skill with their kit to do very well with.

That said, I don't think he's really overpowered, just generally easier to play...
---
Now these points of data make a beautiful line, and we're out of beta we're releasing on time! So I'm glad I got burned, think of all the things we learned!
#5RzulPosted 12/9/2012 7:27:31 AM
Gun Sage posted...
It's because he's so easy to use effectively. He requires next to no skill outside the norm to do very well with, whereas someone like Jax or Irelia require a lot more skill with their kit to do very well with.

That said, I don't think he's really overpowered, just generally easier to play...

Jax and skill should never be in the same sentence. Jump>Dodge>Stun>proceed to beat you to death with rising AS. Oh you got away, let me jump again. Jax requires next to no intelligence an he does his job with few items built.

Irelia is actually a favorite of mine because of her nearly infinite sustain. Get into duel, then when you wan to go away jus stun them and disengage. Proceed to W and heal all damage you took. Simply awesome. At least she requires some knowhow ad to when to engage or dive. I see Jax every day try to dive when they have next no health. Exaust them at the tower and laugh as they can't do anything since they wasted Q on their failed dive attempt.
---
#6Gun SagePosted 12/9/2012 7:36:29 AM
Which would mean Jax requires some skill... If he required no skill, he'd Q on you, get the kill despite exhaust, then walk away with the kill, despite making a stupid move.

When to use his E is another big one. It's not as big a deal against a lesser skilled opponent, but someone who knows how to capitalize against a bad counterstrike (didn't use Irelia's W just before he started it for instance, will wait for him to finish it and W to win the trade) will make you pay for using it early.

So yeah... lets not make a statement, then counter it immediately after.
---
Now these points of data make a beautiful line, and we're out of beta we're releasing on time! So I'm glad I got burned, think of all the things we learned!
#7xngenPosted 12/9/2012 7:42:47 AM
...i'd say riven; shield, stun and dash mitigate some of the learning curve (since you're 'new')...jarvan isn't that bad either come to think of it
#8RzulPosted 12/9/2012 7:44:08 AM
Gun Sage posted...
Which would mean Jax requires some skill... If he required no skill, he'd Q on you, get the kill despite exhaust, then walk away with the kill, despite making a stupid move.

When to use his E is another big one. It's not as big a deal against a lesser skilled opponent, but someone who knows how to capitalize against a bad counterstrike (didn't use Irelia's W just before he started it for instance, will wait for him to finish it and W to win the trade) will make you pay for using it early.

So yeah... lets not make a statement, then counter it immediately after.

Okay let me rephrase, Jax requires little skill and is played constantly by people who derp and fool themselves into thinking they're infallible by popping everything at once and diving at inopportune times. Which is about 90% of the time. If they're doing well they've likely Q ks'd from people who worked hard for the kill only to have it stolen from them by a-hole Jax players.

Don't get me wrong I've seen amazing Jax players but at my ELO it's kind of hard to weed out the bad ones from the good ones
---
#9Gun SagePosted 12/9/2012 7:48:28 AM
Then he must require a fair amount of skill >.> If you're at a low elo with bad players, and they're doing poorly with jax 90% of the time...

His Q+W+Ult are pretty normal stuff, same as many champs have. His E is what makes him so special. Counters Irelia's Hiten style, Fiora's ult if I'm not mistaken, Rengar's entire AD DPS, anyone else that uses an empowered auto-attack... Knowing those kits and animations can put you WAY ahead as a Jax. See Xin start his 3 hit combo? E just before the third hit lands, negate it, punish Xin immediately after. Jax is a lot of timing and champion knowledge.
---
#10RzulPosted 12/9/2012 7:55:07 AM
Gun Sage posted...
Then he must require a fair amount of skill >.> If you're at a low elo with bad players, and they're doing poorly with jax 90% of the time...

His Q+W+Ult are pretty normal stuff, same as many champs have. His E is what makes him so special. Counters Irelia's Hiten style, Fiora's ult if I'm not mistaken, Rengar's entire AD DPS, anyone else that uses an empowered auto-attack... Knowing those kits and animations can put you WAY ahead as a Jax. See Xin start his 3 hit combo? E just before the third hit lands, negate it, punish Xin immediately after. Jax is a lot of timing and champion knowledge.

He is the only one in the game with dodge, but I still don't like him. My ELO is actually decent. I'm Silver, but the point is in his whole kit the only unique skill is E but it's also the one used incorrectly the most. I've seen tons of players use it yay to mitigate damage but not take use of the stun. I'm just not partial to Jax, that's all that can really be said.
---