Would it not be better to grab mana pots on Sona?

#1Flame_HazardPosted 12/9/2012 10:06:44 PM
I get a heal at level 2, and my ADC usually needs heals. so I stand back conservatively healing him, occasionally doing very safe pokes with Q. I can't help thinking this would all be more effective if I were using mana pots to use with my W, so that I can heal me AND the ADC, instead of a health pot to compensate for me screwing up a poke or kill attempt.

Just curious though. I'm about to try this in a game (just blind pick normals), but I'm wondering why this doesn't seem to be the preferred choice.

Also I don't get flask. As far as I'm concerned, it just sets me back on getting philospher's stone.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#2MhkaMAthPosted 12/9/2012 10:07:55 PM
Also I don't get flask.

You should.
---
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6840/mathz.jpg http://i.imgur.com/iB1sU.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/juliaxx/Picture56.jpg Free stuff!
#3FatherRussiaPosted 12/9/2012 10:08:55 PM
I don't usually have issues with sustain on Sona once I get philo stone, and you should need to spam heals much before first back. You only really need to spam them in that stretch from like level 4 to 13, where it being at rank 1-3 is really noticeable since you both have some actual health.

Do you use the meditation mastery?
#4Flame_Hazard(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 10:14:42 PM(edited)
MhkaMAth posted...
Also I don't get flask.

You should.

Why? I rarely buy pots past the beginning of the game, it builds into nothing, doesn't offer continuous passive regen in case I'm staying in lane longer than usual...I do see that this is a popular choice, but the faerie charm builds into like 3 different items that I need..

FatherRussia posted...
I don't usually have issues with sustain on Sona once I get philo stone, and you should need to spam heals much before first back. You only really need to spam them in that stretch from like level 4 to 13, where it being at rank 1-3 is really noticeable since you both have some actual health.

Do you use the meditation mastery?

We're * probably playing wrong then, because my ADCs usually have taken some damage before level 4 easily. I generally manage mana well enough, but seems like things would go more smoothly if I had mana pots, instead of health pots I barely need.

And yeah, I have meditation.
---
#5FatherRussiaPosted 12/9/2012 10:30:27 PM
It is ok to take damage early if you have to, but the ADC probably has boots 3 to start, so those 3 pots should be enough to keep them healthy so it isn't all on you to heal.

You really should use Sona to keep the opponent playing defensively, she is just so insane at poking your opponents really shouldn't have much of a chance to poke back without fear of getting destroyed. Just play like clockwork, get 2 stacks on your passive, then auto attack, q, auto attack and you just chunked a third of the AD or Supports life bar. Doing this you don't need to worry about healing, because the only time your ADC takes damage is when you choose to engage.

Obviously it doesn't always work out that way, and if you think a mana pot will help you, go for it, but a mana pot doesn't even give enough MP to cast your heal twice, it is much more efficient to get the HP pot instead.
#6Flame_Hazard(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 11:04:42 PM
FatherRussia posted...
It is ok to take damage early if you have to, but the ADC probably has boots 3 to start, so those 3 pots should be enough to keep them healthy so it isn't all on you to heal.

You really should use Sona to keep the opponent playing defensively, she is just so insane at poking your opponents really shouldn't have much of a chance to poke back without fear of getting destroyed. Just play like clockwork, get 2 stacks on your passive, then auto attack, q, auto attack and you just chunked a third of the AD or Supports life bar. Doing this you don't need to worry about healing, because the only time your ADC takes damage is when you choose to engage.

Obviously it doesn't always work out that way, and if you think a mana pot will help you, go for it, but a mana pot doesn't even give enough MP to cast your heal twice, it is much more efficient to get the HP pot instead.

I do that, with the poking. It's the reason I'm practically exclusively maining Sona right now, frustrating some friends of mine. I'm on like a 7 game win streak at the moment, which is nothing special considering my level, of play (around 17), but vastly better than what I'd been doing before.

Also just tried out the mana pot. I went 1 health pot, 2 mana. I only made use of a single mana pot, and in the end, I don't think I really needed it. It was close at first, but after I've poked the enemy into oblivion, they're so conservative that I barely have to cast at all. I'm gonna experiment with the 1 health 2 mana for a couple more games though.
---
#7PKMNsonyPosted 12/10/2012 12:02:03 AM
I barely ever heal my ADC as Sona. If you want to heal then play Soraka. As Sona I want to poke as much as possible, so I expect my ADC to heal himself up with pots while I chunk the enemy down for him to kill. If you zone the enemy sufficiently you will usually not have to heal very much. Or you could sit back and blow all your mana on her pathetic heal while the enemy zones you. I prefer to do the zoning though.
#8SlaynPosted 12/10/2012 12:22:00 AM
I usually don't sell flask until at least 30m in to the game... why would anyone not get the flask? Best thing to happen to supports S3.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#9Flame_Hazard(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 12:24:15 AM
PKMNsony posted...
I barely ever heal my ADC as Sona. If you want to heal then play Soraka. As Sona I want to poke as much as possible, so I expect my ADC to heal himself up with pots while I chunk the enemy down for him to kill. If you zone the enemy sufficiently you will usually not have to heal very much. Or you could sit back and blow all your mana on her pathetic heal while the enemy zones you. I prefer to do the zoning though.

I tend to do both tbh. Lots of poking, and healing when they're poked so much that they're not in a good position for me to do so. I also find that spamming that pathetic heal late game helps with team fights when it starts out with a lot of poking, as I can keep my team topped off and stop life dwindling away. Though I'm sure high level play has weeded out people stupid enough to get poked away at late game anyway.
---