Why do people still persistently start boots+3?

#1G0dSlay3rPosted 12/14/2012 6:59:33 AM(edited)
Base movespeed has been globally buffed for all champs.
And yet people still prefer to take limited sustain and a mere 25 movespeed over Crystaline Flask, a bunch of health/mana pots and a ward.

Flask, pots and a ward has become my default start for almost any lane.
Farm and sustain for ages as the enemy just goes oom or low on health way before you do.

It's particularly effective if you take a Biscuit and just outheal their early ignite-kill attempts by stacking Biscuit and potions.
You can only die if you're really, really bad with so much sustain, to be blunt.
#2RydethetigerPosted 12/14/2012 7:01:00 AM
Because boots pots works.

Flask pots ward provides no utility at all, and if you have a higher base MS as well, any good player can take advantage of the lack of MS or damage, and zone/kill you without effort. It is nice if you have a passive lane to take boots, but you really need to know who you are playingagainst and how to do it.
---
Lol IGN: WMP Bantam
#3shingo fanPosted 12/14/2012 7:01:14 AM
Force of habit, I guess.
---
Question: What is with the internet's love of hyperbole?
#4MaurithPosted 12/14/2012 7:07:13 AM
Doran's Blade is arguably better bot lane now, but mid, despite D's Ring getting a mini Swain passive, I still think most of the time Boots+3 is best. The MS changes aren't significant enough to make it easier dodging those Ziggs bombs, Karthus Qs, etc
---
[LoL favourites: Janna, Syndra, Rumble, Fizz, Ezreal, Miss Fortune, Katarina, Volibear, Ahri, Orianna, Tristana, Amumu, Nami, Irelia, Swain]
#5HydreigoonPosted 12/14/2012 7:08:58 AM
I've realized that it's dumb these days, now you get base items for stuff you might build later, Ex: Longsword + 2 Pots Talon works pretty good, gives you head start on Bruta. But with APs its more complicated. In any case, I start Amp Tome on APs like Katarina, gives you a nice boost to your AP, gives you access to Haunting Guise if you want it. AD Carries should start Boots tho.
---
Nami is my waifu
White FC: 3181 8609 7858 /// White 2 FC: 3053 5724 9151
#6RaverbasherPosted 12/14/2012 7:11:33 AM
A lot has to do with habit, i guess

For me it also depends who i am laning against, or with in some cases. Earlier i went up vs a Varus with Nami as support, so i took boots and 3 so i could dodge his arrow more easily early game, knowing Nami would also help with sustain due to her heal.

If i'm going mid vs a champ reliant on hitting skillshots (e.g. Brand, Ahri) i'll also take boots and 3, as being able to dodge their shots gives more sustain than potentially being hit by them and using a crystal flask. If that makes sense.

I love that flask and pots though, i get them if i don't need the extra speed early.
---
Virginity is not virtue,
it's just lack of opportunity.
#7G0dSlay3r(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 7:11:41 AM
Rydethetiger posted...
Because boots pots works.

Flask pots ward provides no utility at all, and if you have a higher base MS as well, any good player can take advantage of the lack of MS or damage, and zone/kill you without effort. It is nice if you have a passive lane to take boots, but you really need to know who you are playingagainst and how to do it.

But Flask+pots(+ward) works very well too.
Even better than just boots+3 by my experience.

Then again, i play AD caster mids, like Zed, Kha, Pantheon & co.
They have high base movespeed and really don't need to start boots to be able to dodge skillshots effectively.

But i also use the same when i play AD carry or solotop.
#8Susan0Posted 12/14/2012 7:18:01 AM
Old habits die hard.

Other than that, I only take Crystal flask as a starting item when I'm sp
---
Official Daedric Prince of Madness of All Boards
Akali is my Waifu~ Now, You DIE :D
#9Noblesse_Posted 12/14/2012 7:24:00 AM
For mid, I do the start TC said, but that's because mid is the only place I feel needs all that extra mana, sustain, and ward coverage.

But for bot lane, D-blade seems fine especially if I have a support with a heal. But I usually go boots + 4 cause that extra sustain does help as well as not needing to buy boots and having a faster upgrade.
---
Noblesse Oblige May you go on and conduct in a honorable manor.
#10Camel-RiderPosted 12/14/2012 7:28:17 AM
I think a lot of these people are waiting for some big tournament to see what the "pro" players do.

Its pretty obvious how advantageous starting with flask is.
---
LoL IGN: The Camel Rider