Why do people still persistently start boots+3?

#11dark_lord_havocPosted 12/14/2012 7:30:26 AM
flask + ward is almost always the way to go in top lane now. Bottom lane depends on your opponent. I like starting longsword + 2 pots in most situations though. Exceptions being champs like vayne/kogmaw. Mid lane I still rune boots often, but if I'm rushing a tear I like flask+faerie charm+2 pots.
#12Camel-RiderPosted 12/14/2012 7:30:59 AM
But for bot lane, D-blade seems fine especially if I have a support with a heal. But I usually go boots + 4 cause that extra sustain does help as well as not needing to buy boots and having a faster upgrade.

D-blade is pretty much obsolete, because in bot lane, if you dont have potions you lose the lane. Its that simple.
---
LoL IGN: The Camel Rider
#13SpacefrisianPosted 12/14/2012 7:32:18 AM
Doran blades are not worth my time, and without fancy stuff i just stick to boots/pots.
---
Lets move mountains or mount movements.
#14Noblesse_Posted 12/14/2012 7:34:39 AM
But for bot lane, D-blade seems fine especially if I have a support with a heal. But I usually go boots + 4 cause that extra sustain does help as well as not needing to buy boots and having a faster upgrade.

D-blade is pretty much obsolete, because in bot lane, if you dont have potions you lose the lane. Its that simple.

Level 2 all-in with/without jangle.
---
Noblesse Oblige May you go on and conduct in a honorable manor.
#15Camel-RiderPosted 12/14/2012 7:52:54 AM
Level 2 all-in with/without jangle.

I mean, if you want to risk it. Thats your decision, and its a good decision, but you have to know that it doesnt always work, and if it doesnt, you will be run out of your lane very quickly.
---
LoL IGN: The Camel Rider
#16SlaynPosted 12/14/2012 8:11:24 AM
Flask is real good unless you just don't use mana then it might be kind of a waste I guess. Top lane you can still do cloth+5 for the defense. Mid lane I go dorans ring unless I REALLY fear the other person.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#17Sun Ce fanPosted 12/14/2012 8:23:00 AM
I play ADC a lot and still go boots +3 pots to open.

In a lane where your expecting aggression and harass its a good opener. As you are less dependent upon getting to the creep line to auto attack to get health back. Passive lane? Sure grab a doran or a Long Sword. Though Long Sword opener is probably better, get a faster jump on vamp/brutalizer/Phage
#18FatherRussiaPosted 12/14/2012 8:24:04 AM
For Melee top laners, the only thing that matters about move speed is who has more. Not how much more, but who has more. If you don't start boots and your opponent does, he will stick to you like glue if you lose a trade.

It is all fine and dandy if you buy flask/wards/pots to help sustain in lane, but not if it means eating an extra 3 autos and a skill from your laning opponent if you ever make a trade.

Or, god forbid their jungler comes and you can't get away from the laner, because he started boots.

Having higher MS than your opponent early game means WALKING AWAY FROM TRADES. You can't under estimate how big an advantage that is, if you think the sustain from flask is worth getting chunked harder than you need to in a botched trade (or not being able to chunk your opponent as hard, should you win a trade) then you need to seriously assess your lane match up, and exactly how afraid you are of the other guy. Flask is just about the riskiest start you can do top lane if you're not a fairly hard counter to your opponent.

Mid lane boots are the same as they used to be, a way to dodge skill shots. If your opponent doesn't have skillshots, start a Dring, same as always, if they do, go boots. Good luck dodging karthus skittles if you walk into lane with 330 MS.

Bot lane it becomes personal preference. A Dblade is going to mean better farm, and better ability to trade, but a lot of people see Dblade's as lost money, since you are sinking about 300g that isn't coming back. I start Dblade with most bot lanes, but I always feel dirty doing it, and a lot of people prefer the sustain from pots to 5hp/auto, since you are harder to force out of lane (your sustain doesn't mean anything if you are at 250 HP and too afraid to walk up and auto attack creeps)

Support/Jungle have better things to buy.
#19Pulsian_PioneerPosted 12/14/2012 8:29:57 AM
Because I play Riven top and am actively trying to get first blood.
---
In space, no one can hear you rage.
#20_Yag_Posted 12/14/2012 8:36:00 AM
i do it cuz my opponent does. and guess what, even with MS nerfed, if his is higher than yours, you don't get away....so you need equal or higher MS.

truth be told though I run different things on alot of champs. cloth/5 alot or saphire+pot on singed etc.etc.
---
Archer: "ring ring.....hi planes? yeah, this is blimps.. you win"
Yagyujubei: 75 NIN/MNK/SAM/PLD/BLU Midgardsormr R.I.P