#51omega bahumatPosted 12/20/2012 7:52:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
#52_Yag_Posted 12/20/2012 7:52:38 AM
omega bahumat posted...
_Yag_ posted...
AtSeN posted...
-Hydreigon- posted...
Oh okay.

After reading the wikipedia page on Queer, I have deduced that it is a term used by REALLY entitled whiny gay people.

So TC then

What is wrong with gay people advocating for representation in media? A significant part of the population is gay.

Is it also wrong for black people to want black characters in movies, books, video games, etc?

For women? At what point does advocacy for representation turn into whiny entitlement?

pretty sure when it gets posted on Gfaqs is a good place to draw the line. you have to be self entitled or trolling to think there's any point at all to post something like that here.

This is a social medium for an MMO - which is by definition a social game.

This is actually a good place to hold a good discussion about it.

The issue is that this isn't a good discussion because the opening post creates a divisive atmosphere.

haha you must be new to Gfaqs, this isnt a good place to hold a discussion about anything.
---
Archer: "ring ring.....hi planes? yeah, this is blimps.. you win"
Yagyujubei: 75 NIN/MNK/SAM/PLD/BLU Midgardsormr R.I.P
#53omega bahumatPosted 12/20/2012 7:54:45 AM
AtSeN posted...
omega bahumat posted...
AtSeN posted...
-Hydreigon- posted...
Oh okay.

After reading the wikipedia page on Queer, I have deduced that it is a term used by REALLY entitled whiny gay people.

So TC then

What is wrong with gay people advocating for representation in media? A significant part of the population is gay.

Is it also wrong for black people to want black characters in movies, books, video games, etc?

For women? At what point does advocacy for representation turn into whiny entitlement?

When women demand equal rights but don't want to be part of the draft.

That is seriously a pet peeve of mine. I am 100% for complete equality. I dislike hypocritical self-entitled little brats that think they can have all the advantages but none of the disadantages.

Most, if not all, feminists believe the draft should be done away with altogether.

Even still, I don't think you can take a complex issue such as gender equality and dismiss it as bogus because of a specific discrepancy. Just because women aren't allowed in combat roles doesn't mean they have to be a housewife. They can be doctors, engineers, politicians, whatever they want, just like anyone else in society has a right to pursue their dreams without discrimination.

My wife is a doctor.

I don't think you guys are reading anything I'm saying. Here - I'll bold the part for you. Now go back and read it, read it really carefully because it might be the most important part of that post I made.

Now that you're done reading it - clearly the first part was what is known as an example. With that in mind - do you really think ANYONE thinks that EVERYONE thinks the exact same way?

Putting words in people's mouth is just stupid.
#54omega bahumatPosted 12/20/2012 7:55:18 AM
_Yag_ posted...
omega bahumat posted...
_Yag_ posted...
AtSeN posted...
-Hydreigon- posted...
Oh okay.

So TC then

pretty sure when it gets posted on Gfaqs is a good place to draw the line. you have to be self entitled or trolling to think there's any point at all to post something like that here.

This is a social medium for an MMO - which is by definition a social game.

This is actually a good place to hold a good discussion about it.

The issue is that this isn't a good discussion because the opening post creates a divisive atmosphere.

haha you must be new to Gfaqs, this isnt a good place to hold a discussion about anything.

Nearly 2K karma and 9+years frequenting these boards. I've had good discussions here. They are exceedingly rare.
#55__Darujhistan__(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2012 7:56:05 AM

A straw man is taking what you said and acting like you said something different. I'm taking what you said and making an analogy to another situation all together. You might claim my analogy is bad, but I didn't make a straw man argument. It's always funny when people say that you shouldn't insult their intelligence in the same post as they demonstrate a decided lack of knowledge.
---
A trench named Bingo Crepuscule? Why not Youppie Tralala?
-A Very Long Engagement
#56RihawfPosted 12/20/2012 7:57:25 AM
Good thread, you got a lot of people
---
LoL NA IGN: MyakkoFirst|steam: rihawf| Nami main
League of Legends BR IGN: Rihawf (who'd know?)
#57DinhPosted 12/20/2012 8:00:15 AM
I don't think sexuality is something Riot really considers when creating a champion, and why should they? Are there any champions who are mentioned to be heterosexual? There's rumors between Teemo and Trist, and that's all I can really remember from the lore.

I don't think it would make much sense for Riot to go out of their way to depict a champion's sexuality to a player. who plays the role of a Summoner. E.g.: "The men who've served under Swain (and survived) have remained in his charge with unshakable faith and loyalty. Also, he prefers male on female relations."

Unless of course, the champion were to openly and stereotypically flaunt his/her sexuality as part of the character design, in which case I think that would be a step backwards, not forwards. Imagine if Taric's taunt were "Come and get it, boys, teehee!"
#58omega bahumatPosted 12/20/2012 8:01:49 AM
__Darujhistan__ posted...

A straw man is taking what you said and acting like you said something different. I'm taking what you said and making an analogy to another situation all together. You might claim my analogy is bad, but I didn't make a straw man argument. It's always funny when people say that you shouldn't insult their intelligence in the same post as they demonstrate a decided lack of knowledge.

Your analogy was an attempt to get people thinking I believed one thing when I do not.

Whether you're willing to admit to it or not is a completely different issue.

That said: I'm done with this topic as it was made perfectly clear that you are incapable of actually discussing the issue.
#59__Darujhistan__(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2012 8:04:55 AM
Your analogy was an attempt to get people thinking I believed one thing when I do not.

It wasn't. It as an attempt at demonstrating that despite your "good intentions" your logic is faulty and hurtful to the case of gender equality.
---
A trench named Bingo Crepuscule? Why not Youppie Tralala?
-A Very Long Engagement
#60omega bahumatPosted 12/20/2012 8:09:53 AM
Dinh posted...
I don't think sexuality is something Riot really considers when creating a champion, and why should they? Are there any champions who are mentioned to be heterosexual? There's rumors between Teemo and Trist, and that's all I can really remember from the lore.

I don't think it would make much sense for Riot to go out of their way to depict a champion's sexuality to a player. who plays the role of a Summoner. E.g.: "The men who've served under Swain (and survived) have remained in his charge with unshakable faith and loyalty. Also, he prefers male on female relations."

Unless of course, the champion were to openly and stereotypically flaunt his/her sexuality as part of the character design, in which case I think that would be a step backwards, not forwards. Imagine if Taric's taunt were "Come and get it, boys, teehee!"

Teemo+Poppy/trist
Garen+Kat
Janna+someone... I can't recall atm
TF+Eve

There is a clear heterosexual atmosphere in the fields of justice, but that probably has more to do with the fact that people think male+female most of the time when asking about relationships.

I'm sure someone finds this offensive, but it's the reality and it's mostly driven by the fact that we're all ultimately procreation machines (whether we decided to procreate or not is an entirely different matter, but the job of any individual of a species is to make more of your species). Even most of the homosexual individuals I've encountered think "boyfriend" when talking about a female or "girlfriend" when talking about a male. It's not meant to be insulting and it shouldn't be taken that way. The issue people seem to be having is that they don't have a character they can identify with.

However with over 100 characters, I find it hard to believe that they can't find a character like that. Outside sexuality - we have a very diverse cast of characters. More importantly, if Riot ever did decide to make a homosexual character - chances are people would be disappointed (look at Leona's release when people demanded a female tank). Honestly - I would prefer if sexuality wasn't present in the game at all because of issues like this. They're a gaming company and like most gaming companies they create stereotypes with their champions and so chances are any homosexual champion would have stereotypes that define the character (not to mention the character would then be defined by his/her/its sexuality rather than by their moveset) instead of the lore or personality of the character.