A true support might be a bad thing

#11ExalxPosted 12/26/2012 11:29:02 AM
reaver89 posted...
JiminyTheDingo posted...
You're complaining that a champion in a support role can't farm well? You're aware that supports should rarely ever have an opportunity to farm, right? And you're complaining that a support can't win a duel with someone else? Supports don't itemize to fight people head on. They build to support their teammates so they can fight better. Also, pretty much everyone gets punished by getting hit with CC.

Your expectations of a support are straight up not what supports do. Nami supports well. She should, she is a support after all. She can't do other things well. That's fine, because she isn't something else.

I wasn't complaining, I was stating a fact. I was just curious as to what people do as supports when they aren't needed and have downtime. I know full well what supports are capable of and not capable of...which makes it hard to have to rely on strangers to be smart enough to ignore cs long enough to keep ezreal from poking both of you to death. Sorry, that was off-topic.
Anyway, I say Nami is allergic to CC because unlike Taric and Alistar, she can't take much damage and unlike Riven and Caitlyn, she has no natural escapes, and unlike Lulu and Orianna, she doesn't have a shield, so getting stunned, even slow, means death.

Part of want I want to know is if she has any potential to be anything other than support, like oriana, and I haven't discovered it yet.

Because unlike Taric and Alistar, you shouldn't be going balls deep to land your CC. You toss your Q out, bounce your heal, do all that other boosting stuff, and stay back. It's like when you play Soraka. You position yourself well so all you really need to do is run back if the enemy tries to focus you. They should be in the situation where they would die because you're just out of range while your adc pokes them to death.
---
Monster Hunter Tri: Exalx (2ZFG9Y) HR:130+
#12kirbyakaZPosted 12/26/2012 12:04:41 PM(edited)
Gladiator28 posted...
If you really want some minion clearing ability, get a Zeke's Herald or something. Gives you some AD while still being a support item.

Or a Shard of True Ice. AP for better everything? Check. GP10? Check. Another CC on Nami who has upwards of if not the most CC of any champ? check. Honestly I want Nami players to always have this item. Even if she blows all her cool downs to save 2 teem mates who where suddenly jumped by a Fed Darius and Diana, this item could still save someone.
---
High Five if you love Jesus!
High fives:9 Annoyed faces:4
#13EDumeyPosted 12/26/2012 12:08:51 PM
The whole point of a support is they can do their job with full efficiency with a very low gold total. This means that they have to be inherently "UP" because they need yo function on the same levels as other champs that do get high gold income throughout a game.

This is why supports like Zyra and Alistar get praise, because they can become total monsters with gold. They become a fifth team member instead of the fourth and a half team member.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZhLrT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H6Frl.jpg
#14reaver89(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2012 12:23:01 PM
Exalx posted...
reaver89 posted...
JiminyTheDingo posted...
You're complaining that a champion in a support role can't farm well? You're aware that supports should rarely ever have an opportunity to farm, right? And you're complaining that a support can't win a duel with someone else? Supports don't itemize to fight people head on. They build to support their teammates so they can fight better. Also, pretty much everyone gets punished by getting hit with CC.

Your expectations of a support are straight up not what supports do. Nami supports well. She should, she is a support after all. She can't do other things well. That's fine, because she isn't something else.

I wasn't complaining, I was stating a fact. I was just curious as to what people do as supports when they aren't needed and have downtime. I know full well what supports are capable of and not capable of...which makes it hard to have to rely on strangers to be smart enough to ignore cs long enough to keep ezreal from poking both of you to death. Sorry, that was off-topic.
Anyway, I say Nami is allergic to CC because unlike Taric and Alistar, she can't take much damage and unlike Riven and Caitlyn, she has no natural escapes, and unlike Lulu and Orianna, she doesn't have a shield, so getting stunned, even slow, means death.

Part of want I want to know is if she has any potential to be anything other than support, like oriana, and I haven't discovered it yet.

Because unlike Taric and Alistar, you shouldn't be going balls deep to land your CC. You toss your Q out, bounce your heal, do all that other boosting stuff, and stay back. It's like when you play Soraka. You position yourself well so all you really need to do is run back if the enemy tries to focus you. They should be in the situation where they would die because you're just out of range while your adc pokes them to death.

While I completely agree with you, the more likely scenario I've faced is the team gets flanked in pursuit of half dead targets, and Nami gets targeted being that she is in the back and is an easy kill. I move towards the team until I'm in the middle of them. No one helps. Xin Zhao eats me for the 3rd time. T_T
I guess it was my fault for going sorc boots instead of mobility, but I'm still experimenting.
...No one cares about the support