Advice for going into ranked

#1zodiac nightPosted 12/30/2012 7:52:17 PM
Some info : I'm about to hit level 30 and have 22 heroes at my disposal. My best champion is Riven. I have about 6500 IP and most t3 runes for AD are unlocked.

Should I only play Riven in ranked? Do I need to have more than one support (I only have Soraka for support). What do I do if I start losing my lane? Is buying a ward on every trip back good or bad? What are the counters to Riven? How is she in the jungle? Where are good places to ward if I'm jungling and how often should I buy wards as a jungler?

Any answers to these questions or general advice would be awesome. Thanks.
#2AdraenPosted 12/30/2012 7:53:14 PM
Without reading anything you said; know this

Don't pick counters unless you're comfortable you know how to play the champion. Stick to who you're good with and play often.

Turn /all chat off. It helps a lot.
#3zodiac night(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 7:55:44 PM
Turning off all chat is great advice. I get flustered sometimes in normal games dealing with harassment (probably got a good chunk of those people banned I hope). Thanks
#4AdraenPosted 12/30/2012 7:59:39 PM
zodiac night posted...
Some info : I'm about to hit level 30 and have 22 heroes at my disposal. My best champion is Riven. I have about 6500 IP and most t3 runes for AD are unlocked.

Should I only play Riven in ranked? Do I need to have more than one support (I only have Soraka for support). What do I do if I start losing my lane? Is buying a ward on every trip back good or bad? What are the counters to Riven? How is she in the jungle? Where are good places to ward if I'm jungling and how often should I buy wards as a jungler?

After reading: What to do if losing your lane. Stay under your turret. Missing out on a few CS is way better than giving kills.

Get two supports, incase one gets picked.

Only buy one if you have the gold. Definitely buy one if you're getting camped or you're planning on pushing.

LoLcounters is a good website.

Avoid her with jungle, she's soooo much better top.

Blue is a good start to ward, don't bother with red since it isn't as important as blue buff for your mid. Warding their blue is good too. If you get counter jungled a lot you'd wanna ward your wraiths but give enough vision with the ward to give your mid some vision of the opposite side of the bush is if you know what I mean.
#5VergilkillaPosted 12/30/2012 8:03:08 PM(edited)
zodiac night posted...

You should try to play your best champ in your best lane every game if you want to win, starting out - counterpicks and things like this are for when you get gold and higher, really.

You should have more than one support - or at least one more that isn't Soraka. Get a tanky support like Taric, Nunu. And runes for them. And practice with them, don't just "have" them and then first-time them in ranked - that's terrible.

Buying a ward every trip back is bad.

I don't know toplane counters because I avoid toplane like the plague.

She is a bruiser in the Jungle. Like every "bruiser-in-the-jungle" (Jax, Olaf, Darius) you trade having a real "jungler" for having a bruiser late game. It is what it is but only works for certain team comps, I find, and people may well rage at you for the jungle Riven pick... so I'd advise against.

Ward either FOR your lanes that are losing and refuse to ward or, if you are doing well, ward in their jungle like near their wraiths/blue. The "near-baron" bush river ward isn't bad. The "two rocks near Dragon" ward isn't bad either, for sort of "general" vision. I usually get wards on my second back, but on some junglers I get Sightstone, etc. - it's kind of hard to say in general, and Riven jungle is not my expertise (if you can call ANYTHING my "expertise"). I would advise looking up a guide on Solomid.net for Riven jungle, or getting a good high-elo video on Youtube of Riven jungle (and top) play and seeing what they do.
---
"The lions come storming in...the spectacle...begins..."
#6CBratePosted 12/30/2012 8:02:53 PM
Get more runes so you can effectively play something else in addition to ADC.
---
To all the trolls out there, I have 179 users on my ignore list. Come at me. My list needs to grow...
The latest ignoree: stupid_newbie
#7AdraenPosted 12/30/2012 8:05:08 PM
Vergilkilla posted...
zodiac night posted...

You should try to play your best champ in your best lane every game if you want to win, starting out - counterpicks and things like this are for when you get gold and higher, really.

You should have more than one support - or at least one more that isn't Soraka. Get a tanky support like Taric, Nunu. And runes for them. And practice with them, don't just "have" them and then first-time them in ranked - that's terrible.

Buying a ward every trip back is bad.

I don't know toplane counters because I avoid toplane like the plague.

She is a bruiser in the Jungle. Like every "bruiser-in-the-jungle" (Jax, Olaf, Darius) you trade having a real "jungler" for having a bruiser late game. It is what it is but only works for certain team comps, I find, and people may well rage at you for the jungle Riven pick... so I'd advise against.

Ward either FOR your lanes that are losing and refuse to ward or, if you are doing well, ward in their jungle like near their wraiths/blue. The "near-baron" bush river ward isn't bad. The "two rocks near Dragon" ward isn't bad either, for sort of "general" vision. I usually get wards on my second back, but on some junglers I get Sightstone, etc. - it's kind of hard to say in general, and Riven jungle is not my expertise (if you can call ANYTHING my "expertise"). I would advise looking up a guide on Solomid.net for Riven jungle, or getting a good high-elo video on Youtube of Riven jungle (and top) play and seeing what they do.

I see what you're saying about supporting but I don't think it's necessary to practice with them LOADS, as long as you get a general idea of what to do. I never run full runes for supports either - though I do worry if it's a passive lane because then I don't have GP5 runes. I usually go really tanky with them and get some AP since they scale off of AP.
#8DesertShinobiPosted 12/30/2012 8:06:44 PM
and i would recommend that you dont hit ranked as soon as you hit 30 since there will be a huge level gap between you and those who have been 30 for a while
---
"The world holds back the strong, so the weak and stupid can be nurtured."-Bolandjf
xbox gamertag-GoW Xx Kyuubi
#9GENEC1DEPosted 12/30/2012 8:09:13 PM
My best advice is don't let people pressure you into doing things you wouldn't normally do. I always pick flash and teleport, and everyone gives me grief about having teleport, but everytime I give in, and take something else, I end up wishing I had teleport.

Don't give in to other people's complaints like that. Do be co-operative however, and open to positive criticism.

Also, probably wait to play ranked until you feel competent in at least 3 roles
#10Fenrir the WolfPosted 12/30/2012 8:09:49 PM
Don't go into Ranked yet.
---
And then John was a zombie.