Volibear in S3

#1The-World-SevenPosted 1/7/2013 12:00:24 AM
At first I was like this
The-World-Seven posted...
His kit is odd in that he scales with AS, bonus health and a little AP. None of his skills scale with AD or Lifesteal. BotRK doesn't give any stats that he works well with

but then i read this
ohnoitslueshi posted...
Solo top is by far the most effective way to play him. Also, BotRK is core on him and more or less made him viable.

and this
Voidgolem posted...
BORK, Cleaver. Situational Health + Defense items.

Laugh a lot because doombear.

and these
Kirbix posted...
Merc Treads, BotrK, BC, Warmogs, FM, RANDUINS.

If you have to run him as a support for some reason, tell your ADC to build some GP10's and STFU 'cuz there's a storm approaching.

Easy fix there.

and i was like whaat..? especially cos this "BotRK is core on him and more or less made him viable."
don't all the new hp% (current or max) damage items hurt voli? isn't voli supposed to target squishy peeps who are simply weaker against straight up damage as opposed to hp% damage?

or is it like a new thing for volibear to 1v1 challenge the enemy team's tank/tanky dps all the time? i don't get how BotRK works into his play style. doesn't BotRK make him really easy to crush since he builds well naturally with a lot of HP?
or do you really just build him like every other top now and forget the bonus/hp benefits from his passive / W?

mostly i don't get how BotRK makes him viable. on paper it seems to make everyone strong against him.
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
NA - TheWorld7 & Tragedy Baby // PBE - Je Suis
#2BurnumMasterPosted 1/7/2013 12:12:13 AM
Dont use voli, some pro who mains the bench said he is bottom tier
---
GT:BurnumMaster
#3LuvashiPosted 1/7/2013 12:14:31 AM
Rush AS Boots with Furor Enchantment, build Frozen Fist, Warmog's, and Spirit Visage.
#4bobguydude1Posted 1/7/2013 12:15:40 AM
i heard he might be getting an unneeded rework.
---
YOU BROKE RNG!!?!?!?!?!?!? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!- insane_pyro74
#5TomorrowDogPosted 1/7/2013 12:17:12 AM
I'd imagine the reasoning is he uses the combo of bear-charge -> BotrK active -> flip -> bear-roar -> two auto-attacks -> bear-bite

His scaling is meh outside of health, he is just about getting in and landing all of his abilities and BotRK helps that by letting him better close the gap and add another ability to his combo. Some more sustain and damage on his auto-attacks never hurts either.

I don't play him though so I'm just talking out of my ass.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#6The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 12:23:40 AM
bobguydude1 posted...
i heard he might be getting an unneeded rework.

i read this
gallantknight posted...
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2182697

but i'm still wondering why BotRK is good on him (or is it just good on everyone..?) and how BotRK even existing doesn't let everyone completely poop on Volibear in top lane.
---
#7FreshSushiPosted 1/7/2013 12:24:51 AM
I really appreciate how Vi has Voli's nom but passively. I really weally dew
---
Hidetaka Miyazaki, Shinji Mikami
Please come back Q_Q
#8hotshotgamesPosted 1/7/2013 12:38:53 AM
This makes me sad... I wish voli was more viable.
His ability set is fun to play with - Flick>Slow>AA*3>Frenzy

And, if you're feeling ambitious pop R before that.

And I don't really know why more people don't build him to scale with AS, Both Frenzy and his Ult are hugely benefited from it.
---
Apple>Nintendo>Steam>Playstation>Google>Microsoft>Origin
Own: Wii, DS, iPod Touch, Computer
#9The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 12:50:33 AM
TomorrowDog posted...
I'd imagine the reasoning is he uses the combo of bear-charge -> BotrK active -> flip -> bear-roar -> two auto-attacks -> bear-bite

His scaling is meh outside of health, he is just about getting in and landing all of his abilities and BotRK helps that by letting him better close the gap and add another ability to his combo. Some more sustain and damage on his auto-attacks never hurts either.

I don't play him though so I'm just talking out of my ass.

oh i didn't read this
yeah the active could defo make his Q initiate less kitable
but i could just use Omen's active just as well

i'mmm sooooo confused about BotRK on voli
if it's really just about beating your lane opponent up top, thennn...i guess that's it...but is that really it? does that make it worth getting the item? does that make him viable?
---
#10chaoshadouPosted 1/7/2013 1:06:28 AM
It's probably because of how well BotRK passive scales with attack speed. Voli scales best with health and attack speed more than straight damage, BotRK scales well with att spd and against high health targets, both of which Voli's does well against. It also makes it less easy to kite him, gives him an extra skill, and gives him more sustain.
---
Awesome series, please support the VN ps3 localization http://petitiononline.com/umineko1/petition.html
http://www.facebook.com/OperationGoldenLand