So out of curiosity, why aren't we getting any guides for this game?

#31DiortePosted 1/7/2013 2:32:53 PM
GameFAQs guides also don't allow the community to rate the guides like Solomid, Mobafire, etc. do. A super noob could read up on a bad GameFAQs guide and have no way to know it's bad beforehand if it's written well.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKM-XSYKrFo
#32SoraOwnsAllPosted 1/7/2013 2:33:01 PM
TC is an admin?
o.O

SBAllen is the owner of Gamefaqs.
---
"I'm no hero, never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wet work." - Solid Snake.
#33LaqOfInterestPosted 1/7/2013 2:33:24 PM
chicostick posted...
TC is an admin?
o.O

TC is basically the admin, after CJayC left.
---
"hello i'm laqifunterest and you're watching dosney channel" - DarkestPanda
"Gift means poison. He's going to poison you." - g-cube_masta
#34Lord GrahfPosted 1/7/2013 2:34:52 PM(edited)
The problem with guides is keeping them up to date here. We can't just right a guide a leave it. Biggest Example: Eve. Eve was for a time considered overpowered, with her ability to run in stealthed and stun you, probably killing you outright. She got a few nerfs and became a gimmick jungler using Smite/Revive. Her legs were broken ON PURPOSE and considered by all the worst champion in the entire game, at which point a guide should be rewriten as "Pick a different champion". The only reason she wasn't entirely removed from the game at that point was people enjoyed her in Dominion, and she was decent in there. Now she is a good pick again, but back to being a mid laner that roams a lot.

Each 2-3 weeks a guide should be updated, but I don't think we have the people that care enough to KEEP updating a guide.

Exactly. With other website's system for guides, not only does it confirm that the player writing the guide is a good player and thus the information is valid for competitive level play, the guide also falls off the map once the information is no longer valid. Since Solomid works with JUST league guides, they will remove a guide from the featured list once the information is outdated and feature another guide that contains better or more up-to-date information.
---
Not changing this sig until Walter Mondale is elected president.
Currently Playing: Pepper II, Venture, Frogger
#35TomorrowDogPosted 1/7/2013 2:34:37 PM
To be honest, GameFAQs could still get some good hits from people looking for guides.

Not from the main LoL community, but from newer players to the game that don't know about those other sites.

It is a constantly changing game though, I think active members in LoL's community here don't like the idea of their name being attached to an outdated and useless guide. The format of those other sites is more appealing and it isn't such a big deal if your guide goes out of date. Here, for something like character FAQs we kind of focus on one or two for one character I believe which means those people would have to keep them updated.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#36FvPPosted 1/7/2013 2:34:45 PM
Games are also extremely situational with lane matchups and what's on the other team. It would take a while to write a lane matchup section since there are so many champions, and more being released every couple of weeks. One would have to practice against all these champions multiple times to get a good idea on how to win. It would be time consuming making a guide on any champion really unless you've had so much experience with one.
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#37FvPPosted 1/7/2013 2:35:17 PM
chicostick posted...
TC is an admin?
o.O

TC is basically the admin, after CJayC left.

Devin Morgan says hi
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#38Sword_SlasherPosted 1/7/2013 2:36:52 PM
League is a constantly evolving game, though initial pay may give incentive...The game changes.

If someone WERE to make an FAQ for this game, it would not be a champion guide - it would be a general guide (how to properly ward, last hit, strategies, team composition, trivia).

I don't think it's out of the question at all for someone to make a general guide to League.
---
Posted from my N-Gage
#39SBAllen(Topic Creator)(Admin)Posted 1/7/2013 2:38:36 PM(edited)
Right, I realize that there are going to be LoL sites that cover LoL better than we ever could. That doesn't mean that we can't have some pretty decent coverage of our own. This board generates a lot of views so there's obvious interest in the game here.

Also if we were paying for guides, we would be expecting a certain degree of quality before we sent out the payment, similar to our FAQ Bounty program that requires complete coverage of the game before we give the payout.
---
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs
#40Reaper_MinionPosted 1/7/2013 2:37:44 PM
So basically, this is another game where a single game site is just more preferred than a general use site then?

If we offered something like $10 per nice, detailed (read: formatted with tables and images and such) FAQ per Champion, do you think that would get people interested in making some guides for us?

Yes.

It could happen, but there wouldn't be much point because the point of guides is to share to other people, correct? Solomid stomps Gamefaqs in this regard. It's always going to be more popular. There are thousands of guides on Solomid and Mobafire.

Oh, and other sites give rewards too.

For the record, I have an Elise guide, and I don't mind putting it on Gamefaqs.

I've always wondered if you could put more a guide on more than one site, do you know the answer to this?

You have all the rights to your guide. You are free to upload it anywhere unless a website specifically points out that you can't, and I have never seen that before.
---
/|\ http://i48.tinypic.com/2pzcsv7.jpg
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY