So out of curiosity, why aren't we getting any guides for this game?

#41ssupermario92Posted 1/7/2013 3:38:25 PM
well...this is odd

having the administrator here...on this board? I srsly don't know what to say
---
Super Mario Bros. 3 is better then Super Mario World
People who agree: 38 PM if you think so as well
#42FIash__GordonPosted 1/7/2013 3:38:38 PM
Right, I realize that there are going to be LoL sites that cover LoL better than we ever could. That doesn't mean that we can't have some pretty decent coverage of our own. This board generates a lot of coverage so there's obvious interest in the game here.

Also if we were paying for guides, we would be expecting a certain degree of quality before we sent out the payment, similar to our FAQ Bounty program that requires complete coverage of the game before we give the payout.

Yeah, I'd be down to put my jax guide and write more for gfaqs if i got paid to do it.

It'd be different though
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1555051/cle.gif http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1875n6uzefjuxgif/original.gif
LOL IGN: Paintballreturns
#43AphoristicPosted 1/7/2013 3:40:15 PM
SBAllen posted...
Right, I realize that there are going to be LoL sites that cover LoL better than we ever could. That doesn't mean that we can't have some pretty decent coverage of our own. This board generates a lot of views so there's obvious interest in the game here.

Also if we were paying for guides, we would be expecting a certain degree of quality before we sent out the payment, similar to our FAQ Bounty program that requires complete coverage of the game before we give the payout.

There is a difference between quality as in looks nice vs quality as in the guide would actually help you. Also there is the problem that this game updates frequently which would mean the guides have to be maintained to be relevant.
---
[ Aphoristic (360/Steam/League) | Aphoristic92 (PS3) ]
[ 'Look at that dang-ass dang!' - Arin Hansen ]
#44SBAllen(Topic Creator)(Admin)Posted 1/7/2013 3:40:38 PM
Lord Grahf posted...
Exactly. With other website's system for guides, not only does it confirm that the player writing the guide is a good player and thus the information is valid for competitive level play, the guide also falls off the map once the information is no longer valid. Since Solomid works with JUST league guides, they will remove a guide from the featured list once the information is outdated and feature another guide that contains better or more up-to-date information.

This also brings up an interesting point. Is it fair that guides that aren't written by the best players in the world are basically ignored? Most of our guides on the site are written by people who just love the game they write for. They don't have to be the world's best player to create a great guide.
---
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs
#45The-World-SevenPosted 1/7/2013 3:41:12 PM
SBAllen posted...
So basically, this is another game where a single game site is just more preferred than a general use site then?

If we offered something like $10 per nice, detailed (read: formatted with tables and images and such) FAQ per Champion, do you think that would get people interested in making some guides for us?

I think the other guide sites offer $ based on hits, so the very skilled guide writers are highly incentivised to post their guides there. I believe it's paid for by video commercials on the guides with videos - something like that.

Unless GameFAQs offers a similar incentive, I don't think it would be able to draw in the same amount of attention as the other guide sites.
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
NA - TheWorld7 & Tragedy Baby // PBE - Je Suis
#46SoraOwnsAllPosted 1/7/2013 3:41:26 PM
Also if we were paying for guides, we would be expecting a certain degree of quality before we sent out the payment,

Who would be there to approve or deny certain guides based on the quality of the information in the guide? Like I said, the top rated guides on mobafire look really nice, but the information in them is just downright awful.
---
"I'm no hero, never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wet work." - Solid Snake.
#47AphoristicPosted 1/7/2013 3:41:51 PM
SBAllen posted...
Lord Grahf posted...
Exactly. With other website's system for guides, not only does it confirm that the player writing the guide is a good player and thus the information is valid for competitive level play, the guide also falls off the map once the information is no longer valid. Since Solomid works with JUST league guides, they will remove a guide from the featured list once the information is outdated and feature another guide that contains better or more up-to-date information.

This also brings up an interesting point. Is it fair that guides that aren't written by the best players in the world are basically ignored? Most of our guides on the site are written by people who just love the game they write for. They don't have to be the world's best player to create a great guide.

In a game that has a huge competitive scene, yes.
---
[ Aphoristic (360/Steam/League) | Aphoristic92 (PS3) ]
[ 'Look at that dang-ass dang!' - Arin Hansen ]
#48Is_CorruptedPosted 1/7/2013 3:42:05 PM
I would make a guide and keep it updated, but I'm just an average player, so I'd get crap about it all the time.
---
Marcus is the answer for anything except "best unit who isn't Marcus," but even then he is a strong contender. - PokeAMon
#49Reaper_MinionPosted 1/7/2013 3:44:01 PM(edited)
Lord Grahf posted...

This game is a little different because of its competitive and open-ended nature. The difference between bad, decent, and great players is HUGE. Failing in a competitive, constantly-changing game because a guide offered you bad advice is just not cool.
---
/|\ http://i48.tinypic.com/2pzcsv7.jpg
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#50eco masterPosted 1/7/2013 3:45:31 PM
I really don't see any reason for this, to be honest. There are already numerous websites which have sections developed specifically to make reading and viewing League of Legends guides. It'd just be another place to view the same information without the backend users enjoy on sites like SoloMid.
---
ill be here 4 u eco jus lyk the mop on the commercial babby-wechina23
fighting games suck-bluerain