So out of curiosity, why aren't we getting any guides for this game?

#51Lord GrahfPosted 1/7/2013 2:46:53 PM(edited)
Lord Grahf posted...
Exactly. With other website's system for guides, not only does it confirm that the player writing the guide is a good player and thus the information is valid for competitive level play, the guide also falls off the map once the information is no longer valid. Since Solomid works with JUST league guides, they will remove a guide from the featured list once the information is outdated and feature another guide that contains better or more up-to-date information.

This also brings up an interesting point. Is it fair that guides that aren't written by the best players in the world are basically ignored? Most of our guides on the site are written by people who just love the game they write for. They don't have to be the world's best player to create a great guide.

In general, yes, but not always. The way Solomid works is the guide is approved, rated and "featured" by high level players. Generally the highest rated guides and featured guides are by the best players. However, one does not generally have to worry about a featured guide on Solomid having bad information, even if written by a mid-rated player, because it's already been approved by people who are very good at the game.
---
Not changing this sig until Walter Mondale is elected president.
Currently Playing: Pepper II, Venture, Frogger
#52TomorrowDogPosted 1/7/2013 2:48:29 PM
If you're looking to get aggressive with trying to get hits on LoL content on this site I think bounties would be the way to do it. Even short and sweet guides might draw a lot of clicks, so if it is feasible I'd make the bounties scale based on content with shorter ones being $5 or less and possibly some way to give bounties for continual updates.

I dunno, the information people are looking for with this game is a bit unconventional for GameFAQs. People are hesitant because our format is pretty rigid.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#53Black_AssassinPosted 1/7/2013 2:49:50 PM
Lord Grahf posted...
However, one does not generally have to worry about a featured guide on Solomid having bad information, even if written by a mid-rated player, because it's already been approved by people who are very good at the game.

There are plenty of featured guides though that are over a year old.
Some date back to season 1 masteries even.
#54LuvashiPosted 1/7/2013 2:50:15 PM
I'm well known for being a guide writer on this game, I wrote guides for solomid.net. People have already explained it but I'll go over it again, the reason this site isn't as good for guides for this game is because the other websites simply have systems built for the game. You can add in pictures of items and when they get scrolled over they show the item's stats. You can directly add videos from youtube, twitch.tv, and own3d.tv which are the three main sites for making video content for the game. You can add screen shots directly into your guide, no copy and pasting. Basically, they have systems which are simply superior for the game.

They also pay the best guide writers. I made $100 per guide I wrote (I did write the best guides anywhere though.) This game is one of the best games in the world to write guides for and those sites (mainly solomid.net) caught onto that fast and they made their empire by having the single best guide system and paying the best guide writers.

If you want to have a strong guide system for the game here on gamefaqs you'd need to meet a few requirements. First you'd need to allow video/images directly, without having to go to the actual site. It's a feel that's necessary. While having the items coded in and scroll-over work, it's not necessary. The images are important for showing certain aspects of the game and somebody who needs a guide wants something that works efficiently and doesn't require a lot of opening new links.

Secondly, you'd need to get some really good guides up before you started getting any traffic and that would mean employing some strong guide writers at first. With these other sites paying good writers 20-100 per guide, it's not cheap.

Overall, I think this isn't something that would benefit GameFAQs in the long run. There are simply too many sites that are overly prepared. The message board is the FAQ and the search bar is all people really need from GameFAQs. If you want to go into the guide business for this game you'd better be prepared to dedicate a lot of resources and time to making it have good usability and be pretty.
#55FvPPosted 1/7/2013 2:50:19 PM
I really don't see any reason for this, to be honest. There are already numerous websites which have sections developed specifically to make reading and viewing League of Legends guides. It'd just be another place to view the same information without the backend users enjoy on sites like SoloMid.

GameFAQs was originally intended for its guides on games, not its social board. SBAllen is right to bring up the fact that one of the most popular boards doesn't have any recent FAQs written. It's just strange.

Remember, FAQs are read by people who may not have a GameFAQs account. If they look up a guide here and do not find what they want, they'll basically go to solomid for everything LoL related. That's losing money because ads here are being viewed less.
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#56EDumeyPosted 1/7/2013 2:51:40 PM
I tried to mention this earlier, but no one took me very seriously. >_>

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/65027867

Basically, the best idea I had come up with was to not necessarily have GFAQs members write their own guides, but for us to REHOST the "best" guides for every champion. Those guides could be voted on and decided by our community, which ties in to the fact that this board generates a ton of views, just as you said.

The problem with this being such an adaptive and evolving game is that guides by just about anyone aren't going to be so trusted. Leagues is huge in ESports right now, so there are plenty of authorities on champs. Why come to GFAQs for a guide by some 1700 Elo player (even if they are very knowledgeable in theory about their champion) when you can go to Solomid and read Dyrus' terrible guide that only generates views because it has his name attached to it?

A $10 bounty might help in negotiations to get those players to rehost their guides, or allow someone on our guide to rehost and manage them when the originals are updated.

This system makes GFAQs not just another crappy general resource, but a place to go when you're looking for the BEST resources, which has always been something GFAQs has offered in the past.

The only problem is, this could be super easily accomplished by having a sticky that just links to all these guides, rather than rehosting it, therefore not being a dick to the other websites for redirecting traffic. But mods don't typically like stickies that are link dumps, especially ones redirecting to OTHER sites for game information.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZhLrT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H6Frl.jpg
#57AphoristicPosted 1/7/2013 2:52:44 PM
OH HEY, while there is an admin here, GIVE US A SOCIAL BOARD or make this into a social/game board.
---
[ Aphoristic (360/Steam/League) | Aphoristic92 (PS3) ]
[ 'Look at that dang-ass dang!' - Arin Hansen ]
#58ssj98_gotenksPosted 1/7/2013 2:53:29 PM
OH HEY, while there is an admin here, GIVE US A SOCIAL BOARD or make this into a social/game board.

Oh yeah, this too.

Tired of getting modded about talking about players here.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qd9BZ.gif
#59BhelliumPosted 1/7/2013 2:53:34 PM
Having a customizable talent tree inbed that can calculate total dps or w/e would go a long way for just about any RPG game these days. Or FPS for that matter.
---
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit-Mark Twain
Mark Twain is the most misquoted man of all time- Benjamin Disraeli
#60SoraOwnsAllPosted 1/7/2013 2:54:23 PM

Oh yeah, this too.

Tired of getting modded about talking about players here.

Gamefaqs chat on the LoL client exists.
---
"I'm no hero, never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wet work." - Solid Snake.