Champion FAQ Experiment: What content should a Champion FAQ contain?

#1SBAllen(Admin)Posted 1/8/2013 11:33:30 AM
Howdy all. As I asked yesterday, we here at GameFAQs are debating a trial to encourage some submissions of unique content for this game. We are NOT interested in trying to outdo the more popular LoL-focused sites. That would be impossible and we are well aware of that. Having said that, we'd definitely like to have our own coverage of the game so that when a person clicks the FAQ tab, there's actually something for them to look at that's helpful and interesting.

The problem is that I am admittedly not very good at MOBA games. Wish that I were, but we can't all be good at every genre. Thus, I'm at a bit of a loss myself as to what a great Champion specific FAQ would entail.

So I figure the best place to find out that information would be here. If we are going to start paying you guys to create some content for us, I'd like to know what exactly I should be looking for in this content that would make it actually useful to a reader. So if you were looking for a Champion guide on our site, what would you expect it to entail?
---
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs
#2KirbixPosted 1/8/2013 11:49:32 AM(edited)
There are five parts to a champ guide:

-pre game setup (runes and masteries before the game starts)
- skill order as you level up
- item builds
- typical enemy matchups and strategies
- general early/mid/late game advice

Most sites have the first three in a half-page summary graphic (see here:http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=18712-saladien-ezreal-build-guide) followed by detailed breakdowns of the five parts.
---
Signatures that consist of quotes are bizarre- you could falsify a quote and no one would know.-Jesus
#3Zeeak4444Posted 1/8/2013 11:39:35 AM
I can work on a few if you want.

The only things I can see being worth it would be:

Rundown/overview
Common masts/runes
Lane matchups (would have to stay updated patch by patch)
Item builds (a few different with explanations for each would be nice.
Skill overview (q does... Is for... Use in these situations...)

Maybe a section with good comp synergy.

Anything else?
---
Typical gameFAQers are "Complainers that always complain about those who complain about real legitimate complaints."-Joker_X
#4KirbixPosted 1/8/2013 11:41:47 AM
I would also mandate formatted FAQs in order to claim a bounty, but that's just me.
---
Signatures that consist of quotes are bizarre- you could falsify a quote and no one would know.-Jesus
#5anilEhilatedPosted 1/8/2013 11:42:00 AM
I think the existing Annie FAQ is a good indication on how a guide should work; the problem is that the game updates so frequently that FAQs can become outdated literally in days.
---
For who could ever...?
#6FIash__GordonPosted 1/8/2013 11:48:59 AM
Looks like il be bringing over my jax guide and writing that hecarim guide
#7Rookie_JetPosted 1/8/2013 11:51:36 AM
SBAllen posted...
If we are going to start paying you guys to create some content for us...

Wait, you get paid to write content here? Why haven't I done this all along?

Zeeak4444 posted...
I can work on a few if you want.

The only things I can see being worth it would be:

Rundown/overview
Common masts/runes
Lane matchups (would have to stay updated patch by patch)
Item builds (a few different with explanations for each would be nice.
Skill overview (q does... Is for... Use in these situations...)

Maybe a section with good comp synergy.

Anything else?

You might include this in "lane matchups", but it's nice to know all the roles a champ can play. i.e., yes, Riven is most commonly played solo top, but explain how she can jungle and mid when the situation calls for it.
#8HabnotPosted 1/8/2013 11:52:14 AM
I think the existing Annie FAQ is a good indication on how a guide should work; the problem is that the game updates so frequently that FAQs can become outdated literally in days.

Can't people just update the guide?
---
Look, the point is to get him to go to the naked party, not correctly interpret the Bible. - Ridley X.
#9leak_manPosted 1/8/2013 11:53:09 AM
anilEhilated posted...

Basically this. Now, if GameFAQs had it's own wiki type thing (with regular updates), that may work.
---
A rhombus is the kind of rectangle a ***** would draw.
http://i40.tinypic.com/rh6dc1.jpg
#10RihawfPosted 1/8/2013 11:54:05 AM
If it also interests you, this game is available to various regions, translating guides to other languages could be also highly beneficial.
---
LoL NA IGN: MyakkoFirst|steam: rihawf| Nami main
League of Legends BR IGN: Rihawf (who'd know?)