Where's a good AP Master Yi guide?

#1Flame_HazardPosted 1/10/2013 7:43:50 PM
There's like nothing on solomid for AP. At least none of the featured/approved. All AD or jungling specific.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#2AK47plzPosted 1/10/2013 7:44:45 PM
boots/pots -> 2 dorans + sorcs -> deathcap -> lich bane -> void staff -> zhonyas
---
terran
#3CovenantPosted 1/10/2013 7:44:52 PM
That's because AP Yi is a joke build that a couple of teams used in joke matches to make bad players think he's good.
#4AK47plzPosted 1/10/2013 7:45:56 PM
Forgot to mention, max Q then W then E. WAIT to go into a teamfight, never go in first as AP yi. Wait until someone is somewhat low and Ult/E/Alpha strike in. Try to get the reset on your Q, and then spam Q to da max, earn pentas.
---
terran
#5DeadpooL7Posted 1/10/2013 7:46:06 PM
Its really cause what can a guide possibly say? You literally hit Q and hope for a kill...

Theres not much room for elaboration.
#6Flame_Hazard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 7:57:47 PM
AK47plz posted...
boots/pots -> 2 dorans + sorcs -> deathcap -> lich bane -> void staff -> zhonyas

Cool, though a big issue is what runes/masteries to take. Hybrid runes and masteries? Standard AP? Mpen? Movespeed quints maybe?

Covenant posted...
That's because AP Yi is a joke build that a couple of teams used in joke matches to make bad players think he's good.

Everyone seems to believe AP Yi > AD. I don't know what's true here honestly.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#7lascat9Posted 1/10/2013 8:12:53 PM
I play AP Yi quite a bit, and I've never lost lane with him, so here's my take on him.

Start boots and 3, crystalline and 9000, tome and 1, whatever floats your boat. It's irrelevant, but you can pull off tome + 1 because of his insane W.

Rush a needlessly large rod in lane. Just farm and get that thing. The AP increase puts you so far ahead, and rod builds into the next item.

Pick up a Deathfire Grasp. I know what you're thinking, no other guide says to do it. It's my own touch, and I get Deathfire Grasp because getting the first kill is important. It also frees you up to gank other lanes more often because you can do more than sit there and spectate after Q is down.

Now work into a Lich Bane. This will give you a second source of damage that hits hard as well. Trust me, it's worth it. The combo should look like this right now: DFG>R>Q>AA. Make sure to hit R, it's the most important part of this.

Time to buff up on AP. Pick up a Deathcap for the damage, and a Void Staff for the damage, although you can also pick up a Liandry's Torment if you want to. I go void staff usually, as the passive on mask takes too long to help me chain my ult. I have my Q and I want my pentakill now.

Tie it up with a Zhonya's Hourglass. The time you pick this up depends on how much the other team is hopping on you. If they won't get off your back, pick this item up as quickly as third in the build, but if they're straight up ignoring you, you could not even bother with it and pick up another AP item.

General tips and tricks:

- Check the enemy mid laner out. Does he have a stun or other way to stop your heal?
- If so, be sure to not boast your heal right in his face. Back off if you need to and then W on tower.
- If not, you can honestly heal right in his face whenever you want. What's going to stop you?
- Wait for 3 minions to be left in a wave, and then Q them to try to poke the enemy laner. Alpha Strike has a longer range than you think.
- Don't be afraid to escape with ult if you need to. The cooldown isn't excruciating, and you'll probably have blue anyways.
- Speaking of blue, this might be obvious, but ask the jungler for it. Blue is so useful on most AP mids, and Yi is no exception.
- Side ganking is a very good way to snowball you and your friends, as long as you're smart.

That's about it. Good luck and have fun!
---
Not changing this until Chicago Cubs win the World Series. Started: 1908
#8AK47plzPosted 1/10/2013 8:14:13 PM
Flame_Hazard posted...
AK47plz posted...

Cool, though a big issue is what runes/masteries to take. Hybrid runes and masteries? Standard AP? Mpen? Movespeed quints maybe?

Covenant posted...

Standard ap runes are good. Ap is indeed better than AD, don't let anyone tell you different. For some reason gamefaqs has a something against AP yi, but it's honestly not bad. Katarina does everything besides the heal better than AP yi though, but it's still really fun and viable.
---
terran
#9lascat9Posted 1/10/2013 8:16:54 PM
Covenant posted...

"joke matches"

Oh you mean IPL5, the tourney where the winner comes out with $50,000? Such a joke, I wipe my ass with $50,000.
---
Not changing this until Chicago Cubs win the World Series. Started: 1908
#10CovenantPosted 1/10/2013 8:41:38 PM(edited)
Flame_Hazard posted...

Yeah, he was used in a couple of professional matches when the team picking him had a team comp centered entirely around it, the enemy team had practically no cc, and they were playing against teams that they outclassed handily.

So people think he is good because they lack the critical thinking skills to even recognize the circumstances in which AP Yi had a strong showing, let alone the fact that those circumstances will never apply to their games.

He wins his lane fairly easily, but his teamfight contributions are practically non-existent compared to real AP champions.

lascat9 posted...
"joke matches"

Oh you mean IPL5, the tourney where the winner comes out with $50,000? Such a joke, I wipe my ass with $50,000.

Oh, I missed this one. Sorry.

Pretty much just "read above" because I already covered it. Having a decent prize pool doesn't guarantee that every team in the tournament actually belongs there. Since there are going to be teams that have no real chance of winning the tournament, there are going to be matches that are ludicrously one-sided. Like the matches in which AP Yi had strong showings.