Wait people still lock their screen? :O

#41HasirePosted 1/13/2013 7:31:59 PM
My friends can't believe me when I tell them I only play locked when I land a perfect TF ult in the corner of a bush from the minimap.

Compared to playing Starcraft, the amount of awareness you need and the amount of info you get from the minimap is massive. You don't need to look at everything going on, and the map is accurate enough for global spells.
---
NA: Hasire
EU East: Khepas
#42HasirePosted 1/13/2013 7:33:07 PM
shingo fan posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
Who here DIDN"T know I lock myscreen within the last year? I also don't smartcast

*raises hand*

But that's only because I started playing a few months ago.

Also, I have a question to all the guys who play with locked screens: have you ever played an RTS before? I'm asking this because I have this theory that many, if not all, locked-screen players don't have experience with games that let you freely look at any part of the map (i.e. RTS), which disorients them.

LoL was my first RTS game. And yup I can completely relate to your post :)

But seriously I don't see why it matters (mabye in higher levelled play? I'm only lvl 15 still) But I've never felt I needed to see more because of the minimap. Any kind of enemy ability is close enough to see on my screen or can be seen on minimap (ashe/ezreal)

meh if you play starcraft brood wars for even 1 game locked (yeah yeah yeah there is no option for it in 1st place I think :O)
you get the point :{

I played BW with full hotkeying to structures and map saves. Comparatively, this needs so much less focus that I can just lock.
---
#43New_PantsPosted 1/13/2013 7:33:25 PM
I have played with an unlocked screen since day one, and didn't even know it was an option. Hell, I accidentally hit Y one time and I panicked thinking broke the game.

Locked screen should be disabled. Your map awareness is null and void with it, and forget about effectively landing global abilities like GP's ult.
---
~SamuraiChicken~
There's a fine line between stupidity and insanity. Will you cross it?
#44HasirePosted 1/13/2013 7:37:50 PM
I have played with an unlocked screen since day one, and didn't even know it was an option. Hell, I accidentally hit Y one time and I panicked thinking broke the game.

Locked screen should be disabled. Your map awareness is null and void with it, and forget about effectively landing global abilities like GP's ult.

I just said I can land a TF ult in any bush on the map with the minimap.

You're categorically wrong.
---
#45VoidgolemPosted 1/13/2013 7:41:21 PM
It's not particularly hard to unlock, look around, and then relock when you have to focus on your guy more.

Dunno why people think it is.
---
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j360/voidgolem/Lagannrim_zps5e36b947.jpg
#46Unbridled9Posted 1/13/2013 9:30:09 PM
Voidgolem posted...
It's not particularly hard to unlock, look around, and then relock when you have to focus on your guy more.

Because that requires intelligence VG. Intelligence plus the ability to admit someone might do better with something 'inferior'. I do unlock from time to time, like when I need to check up on a fellow champ in a fight or something similar. Just, most of the time, I find 'information' to come in one of several forms.

1) Stuff I can see on the screen with the screen locked.

2) Stuff that is hidden by the FoW.

3) Stuff that I can tell just by looking at the minimal.

4) Stuff that doesn't really matter.

Of course there is the fifth category of 'stuff JUST off-screen that isn't hidden by the FoW, can't be told just by looking, and actually matters'. It's just not as *big* as people claim.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#47dennis941012(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 9:32:23 PM
Voidgolem posted...

Because that requires intelligence VG. Intelligence plus the ability to admit someone might do better with something 'inferior'. I do unlock from time to time, like when I need to check up on a fellow champ in a fight or something similar. Just, most of the time, I find 'information' to come in one of several forms.

Of course there is the fifth category of 'stuff JUST off-screen that isn't hidden by the FoW, can't be told just by looking, and actually matters'. It's just not as *big* as people claim.

It isn't "big" it is HUGE >_>
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#48HasirePosted 1/13/2013 10:40:45 PM
Voidgolem posted...

What would you classify as huge?

I catch most Shaco blinks into my lane with locked screen.
I hear most Rammus from the fog with locked screen.
I can watch my teammates health bars with locked screen.
I can cast global ults with locked screen.
I can see where enemies are with locked screen.

What am I missing?
---
#49dennis941012(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 10:43:11 PM
Voidgolem posted...

What am I missing?

play unlocked screen for next 20 games and see it for yourself the diffrence
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#50HasirePosted 1/13/2013 10:45:34 PM
Voidgolem posted...

What am I missing?

play unlocked screen for next 20 games and see it for yourself the diffrence

I have. I found no change in incoming information, but required me to work harder to keep the screen where I wanted it.

It just seems like "you have to do it because more work means more skill", and doesn't actually give you anything at all.

But if you can actually tell me something it does that outweighs the added work required, I will immediately unlock my screen. Not "Just do it, you'll see it is better", but an actual, quantifiable, benefit.
---