Best way to learn to use active items?

#1DracovianPosted 1/15/2013 8:50:46 AM
Like Deathfire Grasp? I can't get used to it. I have always played ADC exclusively and I am now trying to branch out but using DFG with some AP champs I end up putting my fingers in 1234 instead of QWER and messing up. Clicking is to slow.

I use potions with 2 by moving my ring finger from W but in a situation where I need DFG to then click the enemy champ and keep bursting I fail.
---
"It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what." - Dr. House
#2MhkaMAthPosted 1/15/2013 8:51:31 AM
Smart cast item slot 2.

I feel like it helps.
---
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6840/mathz.jpg http://i.imgur.com/iB1sU.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/juliaxx/Picture56.jpg Free stuff!
#3NeoAndurilPosted 1/15/2013 8:51:41 AM
A desire to win more than the other guy.
#4jonlaw101Posted 1/15/2013 8:54:20 AM
I learnt how to use active items best by playing games which require me to move my hand to reach specific keys on the keyboard.

I once had to do a crouch and a jump at the same time in one game. Hella mad.
---
It's like playing monopoly then flipping the board over when they land on mayfair,saying 'lol i do what i want its just a game' - SoulStrikes
#5Dracovian(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 8:54:51 AM
Isn't smartcast bad because I could use abilities on minions by mistake?
---
"It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what." - Dr. House
#6kirbymuncherPosted 1/15/2013 8:56:15 AM
Dracovian posted...

The same could be said of non-smartcast (dumbcast? lol)

all it does is make you use the ability immediately at your mouse location instead of requiring a second click
---
IGN: Bobemmo
#7Herbert0Posted 1/15/2013 8:58:03 AM
Smartcast all your item slots except for where you put your wards.
#8Dracovian(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 8:58:19 AM
kirbymuncher posted...
Dracovian posted...

The same could be said of non-smartcast (dumbcast? lol)

all it does is make you use the ability immediately at your mouse location instead of requiring a second click

I know what it does but if the mouse is over a minion you are screwed. IDK. Maybe I should stop playing. Seems like I don't have the ability to learn these things.
---
#9genericname1234Posted 1/15/2013 9:05:58 AM
Play support. Since you're already familiar with ADC playing support should be easy. You know how the matchups in the lane work, and you should know when it's a good idea to go in and when to back off.

It's very possible to have 3 active items as a support nowadays. Shurelya's, Locket, and a kage's upgrade. Even if you just have two you'll still get used to using active items in fights. Plus sightstone is best used via smartcast so that'll give you some practice too.
---
"SR'ing is having the RNG abuse you." Deshokun
#10Tucker4321Posted 1/15/2013 9:13:48 AM
Dracovian, Play 10 games where you smart cast all your spells(at least the single target ones) and you will never go back.