Starting to notice something in normals

#1cod4lyfe1997Posted 1/17/2013 5:31:32 AM
I haven't played any ranked games yet I'm starting to see I'm getting matched against/with players with gold borders and sometimes silver, I've been playing for a few months and neve rhad this happen until now, my last 5 games had people with gold borders. Does this mean anything or is it just weird chances that ranked players are playing some blinds and I happen to be with them?
---
Thank you to all those who serve our country :)
#2kirbymuncherPosted 1/17/2013 5:49:05 AM
Well, normals have elo too (or some similar equivalent that is used for matchmaking purposes) so maybe you've just been winning a lot recently and have been moving up or something?
---
IGN: Bobemmo
#3vermillion719Posted 1/17/2013 5:53:10 AM
So there I was, just minding my own business, starting a game, when suddenly, BAM, our Kha'Zix has a gold border and our Swain has...something better. I dunno, platinum, diamond? Whatever it was, postgame, Swain's like, "Man, Kha was better than everyone on our team and he had the wrong rune page." I'm like, "Maybe that's because he's gold and the rest of us aren't even LV30 yet."

Was interesting.
---
"Why don't you just take this picture for what it is? Teemo being stuffed and mounted by renek." - Serenderpity
LoL Name: Thanamar
#4FeatherwindPosted 1/17/2013 6:02:27 AM
Normal games have elo too and even though there are people who play only normals and no ranked or only ranked and almost no normals most people play both. Despite the names and the attitude of some the only core difference between the two is Blind Pick vs. Draft Pick though nowadays there are other minor ones as well like the inability to play free champions in ranked (why?).

Gold and platinum stuff like borders and forum badges have also been made more common since you got them based on your top elo and the amount of elo needed for gold and plat has been reduced several times. Indeed I often see people with platinum or diamond borders but only gold or platinum current elo.

It can also happen when someone with ranked elo queues with a low level or very low elo friend. This can result in seemingly uneven games where one team has a player with platinum elo and the other team only has summoners that are barely level 30 or even lower.
#5cod4lyfe1997(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 6:08:16 AM
Oh hmm, had no idea there was hidden elo for normals, that explains a lot thanks all
---
Thank you to all those who serve our country :)
#6CrumpledPaperPosted 1/17/2013 6:36:39 AM
as well like the inability to play free champions in ranked (why?).

Riot decided about half a year ago that it was dumb to allow people to play champions they don't own and haven't really practiced with in a competitive game mode. Good choice imo
---
Eh
#7FeatherwindPosted 1/17/2013 7:34:24 AM
CrumpledPaper posted...

Riot decided about half a year ago that it was dumb to allow people to play champions they don't own and haven't really practiced with in a competitive game mode. Good choice imo

Isn't that just an issue of elo? If you lose games because you play badly don't you just get matched with players who also lose games. Only things that aren't handled by the elo system such as offensive language, cheating & hacking, spamming, inappropriate names etc. should be dealt with by outside rulings. I've been playing only free AD carries with my alt which means I couldn't get ranked elo at all (in fact now I can't even start ranked since I don't own enough champions). And it's not like I want to play free week champions just so I could lose - I could have taken gold at least with that AD Varus or Kennen.

All the change did was to make the game even more pay to win for alts and new players and this is probably the reason Riot implemented it.
#8Whacko JackoPosted 1/17/2013 8:40:13 AM
My platinum friend told me matchmaking gets borked after patches sometimes.

AKA once he queued for a normal, on the loadign screen he had other platinum/gold players on his team. At the end game lobby he found out the enemy team had a bunch of people that weren't even level 30.
#9jepaanPosted 1/17/2013 8:53:19 AM
Featherwind posted...
CrumpledPaper posted...

Isn't that just an issue of elo? If you lose games because you play badly don't you just get matched with players who also lose games. Only things that aren't handled by the elo system such as offensive language, cheating & hacking, spamming, inappropriate names etc. should be dealt with by outside rulings. I've been playing only free AD carries with my alt which means I couldn't get ranked elo at all (in fact now I can't even start ranked since I don't own enough champions). And it's not like I want to play free week champions just so I could lose - I could have taken gold at least with that AD Varus or Kennen.

All the change did was to make the game even more pay to win for alts and new players and this is probably the reason Riot implemented it.

No, it will try to even you out, so if you lose a lot, you'll get matched with players who win a lot against people who lose a lot. And you can use free champions in team ranked.
---
-
#10Morrowind789Posted 1/17/2013 11:15:16 AM
Featherwind posted...
CrumpledPaper posted...

It's an easy way to make sure people are more invested in ranked as they have to have spent their hard earned ip or spent cash to get started in it. Want a free week champions alt? Play normals. Did you just seriously try to argue about alternate accounts rofl.
---
SC2 : Koroioz 450
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS