Starting to notice something in normals

#11Final_HatsamuPosted 1/17/2013 10:22:17 AM
Whacko Jacko posted...
My platinum friend told me matchmaking gets borked after patches sometimes.

AKA once he queued for a normal, on the loadign screen he had other platinum/gold players on his team. At the end game lobby he found out the enemy team had a bunch of people that weren't even level 30.

Are you aware that "AKA" means "Also Known As"? o.o
---
M-8 "I turn the tide, by choosing to abide"
1Cross + 3Nails = 4given
#12FeatherwindPosted 1/17/2013 10:53:50 AM
Morrowind789 posted...
It's an easy way to make sure people are more invested in ranked as they have to have spent their hard earned ip or spent cash to get started in it. Want a free week champions alt? Play normals. Did you just seriously try to argue about alternate accounts rofl.

Yeah but this all is already accounted for by the elo ranking system. The only argument why you shouldn't play free week champions in ranked is because they make you lose games which obviously isn't always true - I am much better with a free Caitlyn or Kog'maw who I have played for dozens of games compared to the Sivir my alt owns since she was cheap.

If it was true and picking a free champion would be a major detriment it still wouldn't be a problem as those who pick free week champions would drop to the elo where people who pick free champions are so that people who try hard and thus have higher elo wouldn't be affected by them anyway. I wasn't planning going on a losing streak with a free week champion and people probably have reached higher rankings with only free champions.

I dislike Draft Pick so I would play mostly normals anyway but I also wanted the free Janna skin from S2.
#13Morrowind789Posted 1/17/2013 3:04:07 PM
Featherwind posted...
Morrowind789 posted...
It's an easy way to make sure people are more invested in ranked as they have to have spent their hard earned ip or spent cash to get started in it. Want a free week champions alt? Play normals. Did you just seriously try to argue about alternate accounts rofl.

Yeah but this all is already accounted for by the elo ranking system. The only argument why you shouldn't play free week champions in ranked is because they make you lose games which obviously isn't always true - I am much better with a free Caitlyn or Kog'maw who I have played for dozens of games compared to the Sivir my alt owns since she was cheap.

If it was true and picking a free champion would be a major detriment it still wouldn't be a problem as those who pick free week champions would drop to the elo where people who pick free champions are so that people who try hard and thus have higher elo wouldn't be affected by them anyway. I wasn't planning going on a losing streak with a free week champion and people probably have reached higher rankings with only free champions.

I dislike Draft Pick so I would play mostly normals anyway but I also wanted the free Janna skin from S2.

The ELO system is not the perfect thing you seem to assume it is. People fall lower and rise higher than the deserve on a constant basis. ELO gets it right more often than it gets it wrong in terms of matchmaking, but it's not perfect.

Not allowing you to play ranked with free week champions is not because you'll lose games. It's to make sure you have at the very least, played enough LoL to unlock at least 16 champions, by which point you are assumed to have a rudimentary understanding of the game and thus not be a total detriment to the teams you are placed with. Plus free week champions in ranked would just be annoying as every week would see a lot of mirror matchups (which are never fun).
---
SC2 : Koroioz 450
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS
#14PrizmSlashPosted 1/17/2013 3:19:33 PM
Morrowind789 posted...
Featherwind posted...
Morrowind789 posted...

The ELO system is not the perfect thing you seem to assume it is. People fall lower and rise higher than the deserve on a constant basis. ELO gets it right more often than it gets it wrong in terms of matchmaking, but it's not perfect.

Not allowing you to play ranked with free week champions is not because you'll lose games. It's to make sure you have at the very least, played enough LoL to unlock at least 16 champions, by which point you are assumed to have a rudimentary understanding of the game and thus not be a total detriment to the teams you are placed with. Plus free week champions in ranked would just be annoying as every week would see a lot of mirror matchups (which are never fun).

Your post was perfect until the mirror matchups in ranked part...
---
-_-
#15Morrowind789Posted 1/17/2013 3:28:09 PM
haha too each his own, personally i don't like mirrors haha
---
SC2 : Koroioz 450
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS
#16PrizmSlashPosted 1/17/2013 4:06:29 PM
Morrowind789 posted...
haha too each his own, personally i don't like mirrors haha

There can't BE mirrors in ranked bro.
---
-_-
#17FeatherwindPosted 1/18/2013 3:38:53 AM
Morrowind789 posted...

If you are a detriment to your team you should drop to the elo where people who are detriment to their teams are. You are a detriment to your team if your play causes you to lose games - on my low level NA alt I have 9 win streak atm with 0.68 kdr. Undesirable behavior other than your playing skills are handled by the Tribunal. To my knowledge Riot trusts their matchmaking system and based on the numerous discussions about elo hell and what not it should work. Again I state that I wasn't going to intentionally lose - if I wanted to do that I would just afk or troll.

It's true that free week champions would get more use during their free week but aside from major server bugs there shouldn't mirror matches in Draft Pick (I've had this happen during the time when you could play 6v6 and those huge battles in SR, but the game crashed).