Is LoL the most played game of all time?

#51HagenExPosted 1/19/2013 7:53:04 PM
P00DGE posted...
HagenEx posted...
P00DGE posted...
I wouldnt be surprised. It has been the number one played game online for nearly 2 years. And there was a picture of facts I read and one of them explained that more hours of league are played in a month than ALL the halo games combined over the entire history of the halo franchise. Some people in this topicare vastlyunderestimating kust how hugely popular lol has become

Most played, definitely. It's mostly due to it being extremely easy and very very noob-friendly. Now, the main difference with wow is that WoW is P2P, if WoW was F2P, the regular playerbase would rocketeer to 25-30 million, easily.

I doubt WoW would steal the playerbase of LoL. League is a completely different game, not a free to play alternative. It is not just the business model but the genre and ease of entry that has allowed League to become as massively successful as it is. ALOT of people would not want to trade the arena style gameplay League offers to them for the droll grind of WoW.

Oh I never said WoW would take LoL players, but it would steal some players from almost every free MMORPG out there. The MOBA genre has what? 3-4 widely known titles? Meanwhile there are hundreds of MMORPGs, mostly free.

WoW would easily DOUBLE his playerbase if it went F2P. And tbh, Dota2 will get bigger this year, so LoL's numbers could decrease a little bit.
#52P00DGEPosted 1/19/2013 8:22:00 PM
HagenEx posted...
P00DGE posted...
HagenEx posted...
P00DGE posted...
I wouldnt be surprised. It has been the number one played game online for nearly 2 years. And there was a picture of facts I read and one of them explained that more hours of league are played in a month than ALL the halo games combined over the entire history of the halo franchise. Some people in this topicare vastlyunderestimating kust how hugely popular lol has become

Most played, definitely. It's mostly due to it being extremely easy and very very noob-friendly. Now, the main difference with wow is that WoW is P2P, if WoW was F2P, the regular playerbase would rocketeer to 25-30 million, easily.

I doubt WoW would steal the playerbase of LoL. League is a completely different game, not a free to play alternative. It is not just the business model but the genre and ease of entry that has allowed League to become as massively successful as it is. ALOT of people would not want to trade the arena style gameplay League offers to them for the droll grind of WoW.

Oh I never said WoW would take LoL players, but it would steal some players from almost every free MMORPG out there. The MOBA genre has what? 3-4 widely known titles? Meanwhile there are hundreds of MMORPGs, mostly free.

WoW would easily DOUBLE his playerbase if it went F2P. And tbh, Dota2 will get bigger this year, so LoL's numbers could decrease a little bit.

I highly doubt Dota 2 will make much of an impact on LoL, regardless of how much better it does this year.
#53HagenExPosted 1/21/2013 3:18:31 AM
P00DGE posted...
HagenEx posted...
P00DGE posted...
HagenEx posted...
P00DGE posted...

I highly doubt Dota 2 will make much of an impact on LoL, regardless of how much better it does this year.

It will, and for the very same reasons WoW would blow up going free. Over 35% of the LoL players never bought RP, these are the people that just dont like spending money on "collectibles" like skins. You have no idea on the amount of players that are playing LoL as an intermediary between the original DotA and Dota2.

Once Dota2 goes free, it will match up LoL's competitive scene in less than 2 years, after all there are still DotA teams that are endorsed by HUGE companies, like Gigabyte.
#54Sid_IcarusPosted 1/21/2013 3:36:59 AM

You have no idea on the amount of players that are playing LoL as an intermediary between the original DotA and Dota2.

If a person was in that situation, they'd be playing Dota 2 by now. It's not exactly hard to get the game when they hand out passes like candy, and when the game's early access price isn't exactly costly.
---
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
Lol IGN- ThatKillerBenoit
#55CheezWhizXPosted 1/21/2013 3:43:49 AM
DOTA2 is basically free to play for anyone who wants to already. They give out invites like candy. My friend has like 30+ sitting in his inventory alone.
---
I sense a disturbance in the force.
PKMN Diamond FC: 0560 6381 4898
#56P00DGEPosted 1/21/2013 10:39:08 AM
HagenEx posted...

It will, and for the very same reasons WoW would blow up going free. Over 35% of the LoL players never bought RP, these are the people that just dont like spending money on "collectibles" like skins. You have no idea on the amount of players that are playing LoL as an intermediary between the original DotA and Dota2.

Once Dota2 goes free, it will match up LoL's competitive scene in less than 2 years, after all there are still DotA teams that are endorsed by HUGE companies, like Gigabyte.

Anyone who REALLY wants to play Dota2 already can. There are more keys floating around than there are players interested in the game. Their recent steam gift of like 6 keys per person was a plea for more people. At any rate, you can't use RP sales as an indicator to Dota2's potential success. League popularized the moba genre, and this is a fact. A HUGE majority of people playing League didn't even know what Dota was until after League was released. That 35% has to factor in double and smurf accounts, and even players who haven't ever bought RP can be categorized as a more casual player, not necessarily a Dota 1 fan who is eagerly awaiting Dota 2 to spend money on a moba. Couple that with how much more casual LoL is, and you have a game that won't be losing enough players to really see any dip in playerbase once Dota 2 is "released" (if you really consider it a release, since anyone has been able to get in if they wanted to for a while now).
#57lordjersPosted 1/21/2013 11:51:15 AM
Tetris would be unfair considering the countless amount of versions and ports it has.
---
Science and Religion can be great friends. However, they make up for an awful marriage.,
#58killamaeglwnPosted 1/22/2013 2:00:27 PM
xBrokenxHalox posted...
killamaeglwn posted...
xBrokenxHalox posted...
Burst my halo bubble huh...you make it sound like I love that game or something.

It's still pretty hard to believe but I guess I wasn't considering the amount of people that play this in other countries.

your name is xbrokenxhalox

not only is that name completely stupid, but it has the word "halo" in it, along with x's, so it's assumed you're a Halo fanboy from Xbox.

Nah, name has nothing to do with halo. You sound a little mad though, really wasn't trying to insult your favorite game or anything.

good comeback. also, not even mad
---
You get nothing, YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!
GT/IGN: Maeglwn Steam name: It's Fruit Salad!