Can we discuss own3d and how they are treating many LoL streamers?

#1Karmic Dragon2003Posted 1/19/2013 11:35:02 AM
A fairly popular LoL streamer, Destiny, was streaming on own3d for most of 2012. At first his paychecks were a bit late, and over time they would become increasinly late and eventually, form June and onwards, he was not paid at all. We're talking 6 months of not getting a single cent from own3d. The guy has a house, a kid to feed and all kinds of stuff. He was on skype with the CEO of own3d at multiple occasions and asked when he'd get paid and whatnot and got the typical "next week don't worry about it" type of answers. Then in december he switched back to twitch.tv, and the same CEO was all "hey, ur supposed to stream on own3d for 2 more weeks". No offense, but why would anyone stream on a site that hasn't paid them for 6 months?

I've heard CLG EU also stopped streaming on own3d, and some other popular LoL streamer said something along the lines of, after switching back to twitch again, "it's nice that my check isn't 5 months late" or whatever.

I personally feel like it's companies like this that ruin E-sports for all of us. People rag on twitch for taking half of the subscription money streamers get, but what are they supposed to do? People with subscriptions get no ads, so twitch wouldn't get any money from subscribers if they didn't take a cut of the subscription.

I'm assuming own3d has dug its grave to the point where almost nobody will stream there soon enough. Which is not necessarily a good thing, it was good that twitch had some competition, since competition is always good for customers as it forces companies to step up the game and improve things (twitch finally got some decent EU servers up so we could watch streams in Europe without experiencing horrible lag and stuttering, mostly because own3d was what many europeans preferred since it didn't have that at the time)

Feel free to share your thoughts on the matter in this topic.
---
CreviceCretin - Mario games are for little kids grow up and kill something.
^ 164 people agree that it's ignorance at its finest.
#2xVashTS98xPosted 1/19/2013 11:36:51 AM
It's hard to take this topic seriously because of how much of a (bad) troll you are.
---
StarCraft 2: VashTS; 330; Random
Super Smash Bros Brawl: Vash; Random
#3DrewdadruidPosted 1/19/2013 11:37:26 AM
it's own3d's fault for not paying people. This has been an issue with many of their streamers and now it's going to bite them in the ass
---
http://elohell.net/images/chill/44cfd21be802936535d172d0e98d782f.gif
http://i.imgur.com/aBtgt.jpg IGN: DrewDaDruid
#4Karmic Dragon2003(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:41:23 AM
Drewdadruid posted...
it's own3d's fault for not paying people. This has been an issue with many of their streamers and now it's going to bite them in the ass

I just don't understand how this issue hasn't come to light earlier. It seems like a bunch of LoL streamers haven't gotten paid at all in several months (some not for 8+ months). You'd assume if someone wasn't paid for a month or two they would start questioning it and perhaps go public with the information but I assume own3d was all "hey if you discuss the payment or anything in regards to it with anyone we will not pay you no nothin'!". But still, then these people should've talked to other streamers privately and maybe they'd get a group of 10-15 people that also hadn't got paid in months and perhaps it wouldn't have escalated into this mess.
---
#5kourkourPosted 1/19/2013 11:42:42 AM
Drewdadruid posted...

I just don't understand how this issue hasn't come to light earlier. It seems like a bunch of LoL streamers haven't gotten paid at all in several months (some not for 8+ months). You'd assume if someone wasn't paid for a month or two they would start questioning it and perhaps go public with the information but I assume own3d was all "hey if you discuss the payment or anything in regards to it with anyone we will not pay you no nothin'!". But still, then these people should've talked to other streamers privately and maybe they'd get a group of 10-15 people that also hadn't got paid in months and perhaps it wouldn't have escalated into this mess.

Like, many of these streamers aren't exactly poor, can't they get a freaking lawyer?
---
"stereotypical internet guy" -Fuzzy_Blanket
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa242/kourkour/xcluded.jpg
#6LawlerlawlPosted 1/19/2013 11:43:23 AM
xVashTS98x posted...
It's hard to take this topic seriously because of how much of a (bad) troll you are.

I've heard people say he's a troll a lot, but what in this topic is considered trolling? He brings up a good point, I've been wondering myself why everything has been switching to Twitch. Are the issues he brings up fake? What am I missing here?
---
Play Knytt Underground right now, seriously.
#7GujinKamiPosted 1/19/2013 11:44:35 AM
Twitch is more enjoyable anyway. If own3d didn't want this to escalate in the first place, they shouldn't have been so cheap and stingy.
---
~Gujin
http://i39.tinypic.com/v830c3.jpg http://i47.tinypic.com/op7mvk.jpg http://i49.tinypic.com/23j1t9z.gif
#8Karmic Dragon2003(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:49:33 AM
kourkour posted...
Drewdadruid posted...

Like, many of these streamers aren't exactly poor, can't they get a freaking lawyer?

The problem is that it wouldn't be worth getting a lawyer, if people's presumptions are correct and own3d is in a bad financial state at the moment as they wouldn't be able to get any money out of it.
---
#9happyscrub1Posted 1/19/2013 11:52:08 AM
kourkour posted...

A lawyer for what? To get late checks you gonna get anyway? Waste of time.
---
http://happyscrub.com/eloenvy.jpg
You are ignoring 1 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here
#10Karmic Dragon2003(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:53:42 AM
happyscrub1 posted...
kourkour posted...

A lawyer for what? To get late checks you gonna get anyway? Waste of time.

I assume you're trolling but checks that are 6 months+ late is unacceptable. Imagine if that happened at your job. "Oh yeah you won't be getting any money for half a year but keep up the good work man!". How would that fare in court you think?
---