Support Udyr

#1reaver89Posted 1/22/2013 1:14:27 PM
The new items are giving me ideas of a support Udyr. Things like banner of command and the frozen fist lead me to believe that a tanky, AP support Udyr can exist. His shield scales off AP and his stuns can set up kills with constant mini-ganks out of the bushes.

What do you think? If you think it's a crap idea, don't just say it. Explain why.
#2The_PwnisherPosted 1/22/2013 1:16:45 PM
Most supports would be able to stop you from charging at them so you would just be kited.
#3xDarknezzxPosted 1/22/2013 1:22:37 PM
lulu would bend you over
#4FvPPosted 1/22/2013 1:24:49 PM
Get kited all day
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#5TomorrowDogPosted 1/22/2013 1:25:34 PM
Being pure melee makes it impossible for him to get in towards the enemy AD and support in lane. Bear stance doesn't give him that good of a movespeed boost at early levels and if you are trying to max that before your shield or Q you aren't going to be useful at all.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#6eggbasketPosted 1/22/2013 1:34:36 PM
The ONLY thing udyr would provide to bot lane as support is a single target stun at melee range. He has no sustain or shielding to help his lanemate, he has zero poke, and negligible cc/gap closer to make a kill lane possible with anyone other than say, ashe.

Look at it this way. Supports generally fall into one of 3 categories, or are a mixture of 2 of them. Sustain, poke, and aggression. Sustain is capable by having heals/shields to enable a passive lane that focuses on farming. A poke support will have enough poke spells and mobility to set up solid ganks. And an aggressive support usually has enough cc and self tankiness to afford all in efforts to kill the lane without a jungles help.

If udyr was any of these it would be aggressive, but a mild one at best. Can you really see him doing better than Leona, blitz, or even jarvan? He might work, but only with a lanemate with inherent cc like ashe.
---
There's far too much trash in the universe.
#7reaver89(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 1:38:22 PM
Alright, what if we assume that he will act similar to Alistar and guard the ADC and retaliate against an attacker that gets too close. So, he's more protective than aggressive. (I concede that kiting might be a major issue so for the sake of argument, the enemy support is not Lulu.)
#8DamoenePosted 1/22/2013 1:40:08 PM
reaver89 posted...
Alright, what if we assume that he will act similar to Alistar and guard the ADC and retaliate against an attacker that gets too close. So, he's more protective than aggressive. (I concede that kiting might be a major issue so for the sake of argument, the enemy support is not Lulu.)

Then we assume said player is trying to be unique instead of picking Alistar, Blitz, Leona, etc. who can do the same thing better.
---
This is my care face. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
#9reaver89(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 1:43:52 PM
eggbasket posted...
If udyr was any of these it would be aggressive, but a mild one at best. Can you really see him doing better than Leona, blitz, or even jarvan? He might work, but only with a lanemate with inherent cc like ashe.

I'm only arguing for it's viability, not his ranking over others. But you make good points, nonetheless.