Shyvana, good enough?

#1metallicabandPosted 1/25/2013 4:53:32 PM(edited)
I've recently started playing LoL, this is actually the first RTS I ever play on PC so I'm new to both the game and genre.

Anyway, I play with my friends and they've been complaining about Shyvana not being a good champion, I don't jungle with her and just take a lane with another champion, we're not playing ranked matches (I'm still level 6 and they're at 20+)

I try not to get killed when possible, but I always seem to be the slowest player in the team to get leveled up, so I just wanted to make sure that the problem is from me and not the champion(e.g she might be way too difficult for beginners) any input would be appreciated, specially tips and info/strategies about the proper way to start using her and battles that I should avoid (I seem to struggle bad vs rangers).

This is what I'm currently using for building her:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/shyvana-i-fell-into-a-burnin-ring-of-fire-232872

The furthest I seem to reach by end game (40+ minutes) is the black cleaver lol.
---
MGS3 Foxhound No Equipment - No Camouflage 1:38:45 Speedrun:
http://www.youtube.com/metallicaband
#2BoomerangRangerPosted 1/25/2013 4:57:51 PM
You're using mobafire, that's the main problem.

Half-jokes aside, lane Shyvanna is very situational. She can easily get kited (lead around) and killed, since her only escape is her ult. That being said, she is one of the best counter junglers around. She can clear her jungle, then go in and ruin the other jungler's day. Since you're level six, I bet you don't have that many matchs where the other team has a jungler.

You should probably pick another champ if you wanna go in lane.
---
Lol username: SandsOfAzorin
#3lightdragoon88Posted 1/25/2013 5:03:06 PM
Here the thing: What do you want to do?

Close range? Long-range? Mage? Support? Healing?

You need to decide on this before champion hunting.
---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!
#4metallicaband(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 6:24:48 PM
Thank you both for replying.

Boomerang, are mobafire's top rated guides really bad? I figured those would be efficient to say the least and save me a lot of time with trials & errors.

Lightdragoon: I personally like these stuff in a character (not all are necessary though):

- Ranged, whether magic or weapons.
- Stealthy/Sneaky, e.g if there's a champion that can get bonuses if initiated an attack while hidden or something like that.
- Be very hard to escape from and capable of finishing off people reliably instead of getting assists mostly.

Looks are important to me when choosing a character, which is one of the reasons I chose Shyvana, but it seems like she's too jungle oriented which will probably make me drop her. E.g I don't like Teemo's design, but please suggest whoever you think will get the job done because I might like 'em.

Morgana looks pretty interesting to me, I've currently got 2200 IP so I can get her if I wanted to, but I'd prefer to wait more if there are better options that require higher IP.
---
#5zeppelin312Posted 1/25/2013 6:30:22 PM
use solomid.net for guides

save all your ip

get free trist and ali for subscribing to riot games on youtube/facebook

play freeweek champs till 20

at 20 spend your tons of saved ip on tier 3 runes and some champs you know y'ou enjoy
#6metallicaband(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 6:44:36 PM
Thanks for the website, I'll check it out now.

I already thought of saving all the IP till level 20, but the problem is that I like to usually focus more on a single or couple at most characters for the majority of the time so I'd be able to master them sooner.

I don't have any problem getting some extra Riot points (specially now that there's an extra bonus offer) to get a champion or 2 now and save my IP for tier 3 runes.
---
#7lightdragoon88Posted 1/25/2013 8:04:11 PM
metallicaband posted...

Lightdragoon: I personally like these stuff in a character (not all are necessary though):

- Ranged, whether magic or weapons.
- Stealthy/Sneaky, e.g if there's a champion that can get bonuses if initiated an attack while hidden or something like that.
- Be very hard to escape from and capable of finishing off people reliably instead of getting assists mostly.

Looks are important to me when choosing a character, which is one of the reasons I chose Shyvana, but it seems like she's too jungle oriented which will probably make me drop her. E.g I don't like Teemo's design, but please suggest whoever you think will get the job done because I might like 'em.

Sounds like Zed or Talon are your champs.

Zed:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DFtlNGzMIA

Talon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKdX7aB3TRk
---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!
#8FlailingChairPosted 1/25/2013 8:10:49 PM
All 450 ip champs are fairly simple to use

i see how u mentioned u liked ranged regardless of magic or weapons

then ryze, annie, and ashe can be your choice

Super generic advice for them

ryze: get mana , all your abilities scale with mana, and his playstyle involves spamming like no other

annie: your basic mage in a nutshell, a fireball, flamethrower, and TIBBERS for damage

ashe: typical ranged , you are very squishy, but deal lots of damage, glass cannon
#9Ravid182Posted 1/25/2013 8:14:42 PM(edited)
I once had a vlad on my team go top vs shyvana.

He gave first blood at level 2. I still have no comprehension of how that was even possible. Not a jungle gank either lol.

Aside from silly stuff like that she can do ok top lane but she isn't the strongest.

I actually played her top a short time in season 2. But it was mostly a push as hard as possible > counterjungle strategy.

I would actually go teleport shyvana, cloth 5. I would at 1:55 kill their red or blue in their jungle, recall, buy a bunch of potions [ending with cloth + 7 or so or something] and teleport top not missing a creep, and ahead in levels of the enemy top lane lol.

I don't think she is as strong in the jungle now though that this would be good.
#10RajamicPosted 1/27/2013 1:35:53 AM
If you are having trouble vs ranged chars using Shyv, pick up the E skill first. It will slow down the mob kills in your lane a bit, but you'll be able to keep the enemy at by better, letting you stay closer to the mobs and get the XP from them, letting you hit level 2 faster than if you picked up W, ran in with it, and then had to flee cause you got beat down.

Is she a strong char? No. She's designed as a jungler, but pretty much requires help to get started at it. But she's tanky enough to work fine at top, or with the E ability tactic, hold her own solo mid.