How do lanes work?

#1hulkster23869Posted 1/27/2013 5:35:45 PM
Why does it matter that certain classes go in certain lanes? All of the lanes seem like they're exactly the same to me. I'm a noob though, can someone explain?
---
3DS Friend Code: 0189-8130-9175
#2MGSSolidSnakePosted 1/27/2013 5:37:39 PM(edited)
Length wise top lane is the longest lane, mid is the shortest, bot is longer than mid but shorter than top.
---
I <3 AK
#3JackDaniels1964Posted 1/27/2013 5:40:04 PM
It doesn't really matter, I've seen all jungles, all mids, no tops, etc. Lanes don't matter and shouldn't matter. :) Play however you want! It's a game and it's supposed to be fun.
---
Best Teemo NA- SmyDsamsung69 add meh
#4Ikethelord3Posted 1/27/2013 5:40:31 PM
Top and bot are basically identical (save for how the entrances from river are positioned) and mid is naturally a different lane.

However, the reason that different champs go to different lanes is because of the meta. That is, the reason ADCs go bot is because everyone else takes ADCs bot. And the reason you take a top to top lane is because everyone else will be taking tops to top lane.

That aside, there are distinct differences. For instance, on blue team, top is closer to blue buff and bot is closer to double golems while it's the exact opposite for purple team. Also, top lane is always closer to baron while bottom lane is closer to dragon so ADC and support have better dragon control early game where it's more important.
---
"You promised you'd love her until the end of the world. Well, the end of the world is coming. Time to prove you're a man of your word." - Terror Mask
#5aHappySackaPosted 1/27/2013 5:41:34 PM
Minions go down the 3 lanes from both teams, and so do the players then they fight each other.
---
Kitty Kat --> /\_/\
.................=(^_^)=
#6viperesquePosted 1/27/2013 5:44:02 PM(edited)
Mid: Short lane>minions get there faster>more experience>better for casters (since levels in their skills are more important to them); closest to blue>better for casters; easiest to roam from>better for casters (since they tend to have good wave clear in order to enable roaming and good ganks)

Bot: Closest to Dragon>want two people in it for better Dragon control (Baron is not relevant during the laning phase); 3 lanes + jungle but 5 champions>one champ is going to get screwed on farm>have a support; AD Carry generally least self-sufficient early game and most important late game>worth babysitting>put support with them

Top: Least relevant lane>either someone who can just farm forever or someone to round out your team comp

Everything else that happens is basically counterplay to the above.
---
FACT: Four out of five people are crushed to death by giant diamonds every day.
#7BoomerangRangerPosted 1/27/2013 5:42:38 PM
Mostly its because of the metagame.

Top tends to have fighters and bruisers that can survive periods of laning without recalling.

Mid has AP/AD champs with gap closers, since its the shortest lane.

Bot is normally the adc/support, since adc's are squishy as hell, and cannot survive early game trades.
---
Lol username: SandsOfAzorin