Should all lanes get a sightstone and sell it later?

#21Beech_tibsPosted 1/28/2013 10:22:36 AM
Sword_Slasher posted...
Beech_tibs posted...

You are forgetting the opportunity costs and factors of inflation when you say this

Opportunity costs, okay. Factors of inflation? What do you mean

minions are worth more later, so wasting the low amount of gold early by essentally buying all your wards at once not only is an opportunity cost but also a higher percent gold cost
---
a lot of people are sheep so they won't believe a champion is strong until a pro says so
#22Suffer_NotPosted 1/28/2013 11:44:00 AM
Master Of The Dead posted...
It's not about how cost efficient it is, its about throwing 700g down in one go on wards early game.

This. Theoretically, a lane that buys Sightstone with their first 700 gold should lose to a lane that buys a ward, an item that gives them damage, and then some sustain consumables. As much as I love the item, it will not win my lane for me against someone who gets a ward, a flask, and a doran's ring or amp tome.Although it saves me gold in the long run, it weakens my relative lane presence and sets me at a gold disadvantage compared to someone who spends the same amount of gold on something else.

Now, if I know I am 700 gold or more ahead of the other guy because I got first blood and a double kill off a jungle gank and lived, then yeah, grabbing it could be a worthwhile investment to help deter the jungler from trying to equalize the lane later on. But otherwise I wouldn't get it on the mid or top lane and instead leave it to the supports or situationally the jungler.
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#23JackDaniels1964Posted 1/28/2013 11:47:49 AM
Keep your eye on mini map and never buy wards, LOL
---
Best Teemo NA- SmyDsamsung69 add meh
#24Rookie_JetPosted 1/28/2013 11:52:42 AM
Suffer_Not posted...
It's not about how cost efficient it is, its about throwing 700g down in one go on wards early game.

This. Theoretically, a lane that buys Sightstone with their first 700 gold should lose to a lane that buys a ward, an item that gives them damage, and then some sustain consumables. As much as I love the item, it will not win my lane for me against someone who gets a ward, a flask, and a doran's ring or amp tome.Although it saves me gold in the long run, it weakens my relative lane presence and sets me at a gold disadvantage compared to someone who spends the same amount of gold on something else.

Now, if I know I am 700 gold or more ahead of the other guy because I got first blood and a double kill off a jungle gank and lived, then yeah, grabbing it could be a worthwhile investment to help deter the jungler from trying to equalize the lane later on. But otherwise I wouldn't get it on the mid or top lane and instead leave it to the supports or situationally the jungler.
#25profDEADPOOLPosted 1/28/2013 11:54:23 AM

A wild Jungler appeared!
---
Official Mienshao of the pokemon B/W and BW2 clan
Comic pull list: UXF, WatX, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Gambit, Cable & X-force, and JLD
#26SeaIntoTheSkyPosted 1/28/2013 11:54:45 AM
Rookie_Jet posted...
Suffer_Not posted...

Cannot emphasize this enough.
#27JackDaniels1964Posted 1/28/2013 12:01:09 PM
profDEADPOOL posted...

A wild Jungler appeared!

What's a jungler? Isn't it 2 tops 1 mid 2 bots?
---
Best Teemo NA- SmyDsamsung69 add meh
#28Rising ChaosPosted 1/28/2013 1:04:46 PM
While theoretically you will lose your lane buying a Sightstone over damage/defense + sustain, isn't that true of... pretty much everything but Doran's items? And people don't stack Doran's items anymore. Many champions still get Tear or Vamp Scepter, things that really don't help you all that much in lane early on. They don't all end up losing lane, do they?
---
"Pokey and the man."
#29SeaIntoTheSkyPosted 1/28/2013 1:15:16 PM
Rising Chaos posted...
While theoretically you will lose your lane buying a Sightstone over damage/defense + sustain, isn't that true of... pretty much everything but Doran's items? And people don't stack Doran's items anymore. Many champions still get Tear or Vamp Scepter, things that really don't help you all that much in lane early on. They don't all end up losing lane, do they?

Although Doran items are excellent during lane phases any upgradeable item is far less of an opportunity cost than the sight stone. 700g is a lot of gold early game.

In the case of building a Tear it does not give you direct head to head fighting potential compared to a dorans but it does give mana sustainability which equals more spells. This could be in the form of harassing with more spells or clearing the waves safely with spells without worry of draining your mana.

Vamp Scepter is less than a Doran's blade at it's base however you will get your BT that much faster, which will be a massive spike in your DPS. In most cases you will have a good amount of time to win lane after your major purchase is completed.
#30Rising ChaosPosted 1/29/2013 3:54:00 AM
Tear doesn't really give you anything when you first buy it though, well not much more than the components anyway (though it is cost-efficient). It's certainly nothing compared to Chalice, which gives you more mana sustain in addition to MR. You're weakening your immediate laning power for future gains in the form of a ginormous mana pool, plus highly efficient AD/AP from the upgrade.

It's the same principle behind buying gold items, or Sightstone now since it's basically the new Heart of Gold anyway. Likewise, Doran's items are the opposite, immediate laning power... for a price. Doesn't mean Sightstone is a bad purchase, in fact it's significantly stronger than HoG was in S2 (assuming you buy wards) when almost every top laner went straight for double gold items for lategame power.
---
"Pokey and the man."