You should never buy Lucidity boots on an AP mid!! Here is why!!

#31Frost_shock_FTWPosted 1/28/2013 3:35:39 PM
Although I get Sorcs on most of my mids, TC is severely overestimating the power of 15 Mpen. Out of your target's entire effective HP, you ignore 15% of their max HP (which reduces their effective HP by even less than 15%).

Unless you are a super bursty champ, you can easily do more damage with faster spells given the situation.
---
Spongebob quote goes here. If you're seeing this, I'm on my phone.
Contacts in Profile
#32Reaper_MinionPosted 1/28/2013 3:53:31 PM
From: thecrossnkight | Posted: 1/29/2013 1:26:12 AM | #029
SeaIntoTheSky posted...
thecrossnkight posted...
CDR blues + 4% in offense + Lucidity boots = 25%
Get grail or dfg = 40%

Now I can give bluebuff to my skarner so he can rush warmogs instead of having to get CDR from somewhere else.

And late game when I start getting blue pot consistently I can sell them for sorc/merc.

or don't run CDR runes and let the blue pot max you out. (or just sit on lucidity boots and rush deathcap because blue + lucid + masteries = 39%)

Skarner's largest concern isn't CDR. It is mobility and tankiness, both which come from Shurelya's Reverie.

It is not that CDR is bad, in fact CDR is amazingly good and everyone makes use of it. It is the fact that you can better optimize your items without purchasing Lucidity boots and that CDR caps at 40% which is easily obtained through other methods.

Or amumu jungle, or fiddles jungle, or xin zhao jungle, or lee sin jungle. The fact of the matter is you can easily optimize your items with lucidity boots and NOT overshoot the CDR cap. What else are you going to buy? Sorc boots? Great and all if you plan to burst me down. If I survive your first round of spells though you better run, I'll be casting mine sooner.

Why would you get Lucidity on any of these champions.

Sorc's, Merc's, Tabi, and Zerkers are all better options. Also, getting max CDR on champions like Xin and Amumu is already stupidly easy. CDR is almost useless on Lee unless you have blue buff.
---
/|\ http://i48.tinypic.com/2pzcsv7.jpg
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#33slaynmanPosted 1/28/2013 3:58:18 PM
only AP mid I play is Xerath, and I would rather want CDR and use my W than get magic pen boots.
---
So you want to learn Hakan do ya? http://descrubify.forumotion.net/t543-so-you-want-to-learn-hakan
Doing guard positions on TheReal_Seal since late 2010
#34Unbridled9Posted 1/28/2013 4:04:20 PM
Not the most useless boots by far IMO. Maybe not ideal late-game once you're build, but that CD reduction early on is very useful.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#35SeaIntoTheSky(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 4:11:04 PM(edited)
Divinewargod posted...
I respect that you're trying to be helpful, but have you even played Lux?

In season 2 my Lux has a win rate of 87.5% (7W/1L) which includes both AP mid and support Lux. I main AP mid and Lux is one of my favorite characters. On my Alt my Lux has a 100% (3W) win rate. Currently on my main my Lux is 33%(1W/2L), the two loses were both support Lux. Across all my accounts I have never had a negative avg K/D/A with Lux which includes all the times I played support Lux in the K/D/A.

Frost_shock_FTW posted...
Although I get Sorcs on most of my mids, TC is severely overestimating the power of 15 Mpen. Out of your target's entire effective HP, you ignore 15% of their max HP (which reduces their effective HP by even less than 15%).

Unless you are a super bursty champ, you can easily do more damage with faster spells given the situation.

Because of the formula for Magic Penetration in season 3 changed flat Magic Penetration is even more valuable. You are ignoring that your role is burst the key champions on the enemy team, many of the times they have low MR.

Like I said CDR is very useful, but you cannot just look at raw calculation. DPS for Lucidity boots is great. But if you think about practically, you aren't not going to firing off your spells every chance you get once they come off cool down.
#36Frost_shock_FTWPosted 1/28/2013 4:21:42 PM
I don't think you understand how armour and magic resistance work...15 flat mpen has the same effect on a high MR target as a squishy: to kill them you will have to deal 15% of their max HP less than you otherwise would.

Should champions that depend on their burst take Sorcs? Yes. Does this accurately describe all AP casters? No.
---
Spongebob quote goes here. If you're seeing this, I'm on my phone.
Contacts in Profile
#37VoidgolemPosted 1/28/2013 4:30:30 PM
you could...let the jungler have blue?
---
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j360/voidgolem/Lagannrim_zps5e36b947.jpg
#38SeaIntoTheSky(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 4:34:21 PM
Frost_shock_FTW posted...
I don't think you understand how armour and magic resistance work...15 flat mpen has the same effect on a high MR target as a squishy: to kill them you will have to deal 15% of their max HP less than you otherwise would.

Should champions that depend on their burst take Sorcs? Yes. Does this accurately describe all AP casters? No.

No offense but I don't think you understand what I was explaining. Is 15MR is the same no matter what the MR or health, yes to an extent. There are only a few methods to give negative MR and Sorc isn't one of them, which means if they have less than 15MR than sorc is getting useless stats. However, because of the changes to season 3 flat MR is more valuable now since it is calculated after percent MR is calculated.

Does it describe all AP casters in the setting that I am describing, yes it is. I am specifically stating AP mids. Your role is to be the most influential during mid game where your damage is as it's peak relative to the game time, while being able to scale as best as you can into late game. It is also to deter the enemy team from building a single resistance. When your damage is at your peak relative to game time you want to be able to finish all champions with ease, hence sorc boots. CDR is not bad by any means, but when you can max it out(because it is capped at 40%CDR) by other means you should be optimizing for magic penetration.

Additionally you shouldn't be calculating CDR's DPS by consistent spell spam because it is not realistic. You are using your spells at opportune moments to kill key targets.
#39SeaIntoTheSky(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 4:56:23 PM
Divinewargod posted...
I respect that you're trying to be helpful, but have you even played Lux?

Additionally Athene's Unholy Grail is standard on virtually all Lux players(It is a core item for me) Which makes using boots for CDR even less effective since the cap can be reached that much faster.

You have to take into consideration that the CDR cap is set at 40%. If the CDR cap was not easily attainable then Lucidity Boots would be an available option for even AP mids.

Voidgolem posted...
you could...let the jungler have blue?

Although this is off the topic, for learning purposes I'll bite and explain^^
The first blue buff is giving to the jungler to aid their clear time and give experience(also giving a faster clear time). The presence of Mana crystal/Spirit Stone/Madreds is enough for any jungler to go without mana problems and also fix their clear times. Giving blue buff to the mid has more benefits than giving it to the jungler.

If one mid has a blue buff and the other doesn't. The wave clear speed and ability to spell harass from the player with the buff giving a large advantage in lane.(I'm sure you have experienced this at least once) If one mid keeps clearing the minion waves that fast then it keep pressure on the one without the buff to either let the minions get to turret and cs(Not a problem in terms of cs since you last hit under turret), or you consume mana which you are unable to keep up in since they have better CDR and more mana regen. If you decide to not clear the waves and let the minions pressure your turret to cs, the mid with blue buff does what they do best and roams to help the other lanes or counter jungles. If you decide to expel your mana into a low reserve to clear minions then they switch to harassing you which you are unable to keep up.

Now let's look at the jungler. They jungler keeps taking the blue buffs as you describe and the mid has to now customize for more mana regen(possible CDR if they wish as well as some posters describe) just to maintain an equilibrium in mid. Yes you will have a little more experience as the jungler and a nice healthy mana pool, but your mid will have much trouble holding their lane. As a jungler you should give all the advantages to your lanes as possible(That is your job, it is why ganking is so effective even if you make them back and don't secure a kill). Additionally you will have to help mid a lot more since the enemy already started out with an advantage with blue buff(The lane is not equal). This gives less overall presence for you as a jungler since one lane is initially set behind.

There are pros and cons to both. Both giving the blue buff to the mid benefits the team more than giving it to the jungler.
#40VoidgolemPosted 1/28/2013 4:58:03 PM
Assuming the mid is blue reliant for their wave clear and uses mana/is having issues.
---
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j360/voidgolem/Lagannrim_zps5e36b947.jpg