The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Is this really the meta, or just a bad first impression?

#1Stanemac12Posted 1/30/2013 5:06:52 AM
I've always sort of known about the meta, like how the lanes work just from playing the game myself but I've never really gotten into it or watched it until now, and I'm not any kind of skilled player I'm still very new. I decided to start and watched a few vods. I watched 2 full matches all the way through and then skimmed through 5 or 6 more to see if they all had something in common, and unfortunately they did. I'm just really hoping that it was just a horrible coincidence that all the games I looked at had this happen.

Basically the problem I had was just the first 10 (sometimes more) minutes of the game. I could never get into the dota meta because there was just too much going on and its impossible to follow and confused me because of all the stuff going on. This is like the completely opposite though and its just as bad to watch. Both teams literally just sit there and farm for at least 10 minutes, and in a few of the games there wasn't even a single kill until close to 15 minutes in. I don't mind a little bit of farming here and there but there was literally like no action in any of the games until after the 10 minute mark at least. Is this really the norm of the meta or are they just bad examples or a coincidence? I feel as though I could literally skip the first 10 minutes of a match and just start there and have more fun. What's the deal?
#2KarmicDragon1Posted 1/30/2013 5:10:35 AM
Sounds like you've watched some high-level games. Your matches won't be like that unless you play the game hardcore for a year and a half.
---
My favourite D3 board posters: BonnabinTheDire, PenguinKoala ,TheJCBand, ChronoAce, GuyIncognito_, jake-sf, DAntiprodukt
#3PyrizzlaPosted 1/30/2013 5:10:36 AM
I play Riven...Theres action from the moment i hit level 2
---
Lol: Pyrizzla Main: Riven, Renekton, Diana, MF, Olaf, Vayne, Leona - Slowly battling ELO HELL
Official Alucard of the Gamefaqs Board
#4Stanemac12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 5:12:19 AM
Yeah sorry I meant high level meta games. I wanted to start watching the pros play, but I just saw free farming for 10+ minutes in every match I saw. The reason I was so disappointed is because the games I've played myself tend to have plenty of action in the first 10 minutes. I've had games where we get up to 10 kills by 10 minutes so to see the best players being so passive was a bit disappointing.
#5lordjinPosted 1/30/2013 5:13:32 AM
high...level..meta...

How is it that no one has read up on the word to understand what it means?
smh... terrible abuse to an awesome word.
---
"As much as I like playing LoL - the majority of the populace are unfavorable people with low social skills and etiquette."
#6ZileanPosted 1/30/2013 5:16:16 AM
The pros don't give the enemy pros openings which makes the beginning of most matches pretty stale.
Past that though, big plays can occur that still won't ever match up to the things you'll see in Dota 2.

Both are fun to watch though as both usually have different strategies.
---
http://i.imgur.com/wnFu5.jpg
#7gfshynoblPosted 1/30/2013 5:18:08 AM
Stanemac12 posted...
Yeah sorry I meant high level meta games. I wanted to start watching the pros play, but I just saw free farming for 10+ minutes in every match I saw. The reason I was so disappointed is because the games I've played myself tend to have plenty of action in the first 10 minutes. I've had games where we get up to 10 kills by 10 minutes so to see the best players being so passive was a bit disappointing.

its not about them being passive
its them not doing stupid crap.

usually at lvl 1 or 2 their go in, if it fails, then they try to play safe.

it all depends on who their using.

waiting for the best opportunity
---
EL fudge Mph:Africabot LoL:africabot
#8Master Of The DeadPosted 1/30/2013 5:19:36 AM
With all the lane swaps and how aggressive the meta has become high level play had a lot less farming in the early stages than most.
---
Gamertag: Dayy Hughes ~~~~~ Summoner Name (LoL EUW): Arcanine -----www.youtube.com/DayyHughes
http://i.imgur.com/jcW29.gif
#9Susan0Posted 1/30/2013 5:19:41 AM
If you want action, Smurf a bit. Everyone plays as if they are in a bot game.
---
Official Daedric Prince of Madness of All Boards
Akali is my Waifu~ Now, You DIE :D
#10Black_AssassinPosted 1/30/2013 5:24:27 AM
In theory, at higher levels your enemy can capitalize immediately on your mistakes and snowball from that, which might lead to seemingly passive play.