If I'm really good at last-hitting, is Avarice Blade worth it on my ADCs?

#1BenWhoDrownedPosted 1/31/2013 7:58:09 AM
I normally out-cs all the other players by 25-30 creeps when the clock hits 10 minutes (this doesn't mean I'm good, it means I'm a player around level 15 who played Dota A LOT before moving to LOL. I'm bad, but I face people who are worse).

I like rushing Avarice Blade because I think the extra gold is nice and then it turns into Statik Shiv, but I read some posts here saying that this is bad and I should feel bad. Why is that?

Also, Statik Shiv, Phantom Dancer or both?

Thanks!
#2kourkourPosted 1/31/2013 8:01:30 AM
The pros seem to love statik, but I prefer PD in most cases, it's also situational.
---
"stereotypical internet guy" -Fuzzy_Blanket
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa242/kourkour/xcluded.jpg
#3BarrenitePosted 1/31/2013 8:02:42 AM
No it isn't becaause rice blade doesn't turn into anything you should use on an adc

Yeah don't get shiv

Pd is better if you actually want to do damage instead of making a cool lightning effect that is useless

Also ignoring unit collision is important on adc

Also you would be better off spending your gold on something that actually helps you in lane. Especially with the sudden rise in popularity for mf who will take the advantage of you getting the rice vlade instead of a laning item like a vamp or doran and punish the **** out of you.

Don't do it.
---
Official president of the free world
#4angelwkw3Posted 1/31/2013 8:05:17 AM(edited)
AD is normally better to get before Crit and most players would build Zeal before Avarice because as a ranged carry you want to be as mobile as you can be as soon as possible.

Shiv is often considered better but PD has its uses. Both are pretty similar in damage when you break the numbers down. PD would be better in a 1v1 whereas Shiv would be better if the enemy team is grouped up after getting hit with an AoE ult.
---
LoL ID = Crosisx2/Kurokage17/Angelwkw3
#5BenWhoDrowned(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 8:07:07 AM
I get from the responses that I shouldn't ever buy both of them. Ok, thanks =) I think I'll drop Avarice Blade and start Long Sword + 2 and rush a Scepter maybe?
#6BiglabronPosted 1/31/2013 8:08:35 AM
shiv is meant for pushing or counter clearing when being pushed.

In solo Q most likely you will not see much use out of it in these scenarios so you are gimping yourself in dmg potential during fights.
---
I don't always lose, but when I do it's purple sideu!!!
#7xMikhalxPosted 1/31/2013 8:11:28 AM
Depends on team and lane matchup of course.

Statikk offers clears/poke and mathematically they're roughly the same in terms of damage(although the above poster is correct, PD's unique passive is a very good one for ADCs).

http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/a-different-view/gentleman-gustaf/22679-statikk-shiv-vs-phantom-dancer
#8MizunoRyuuPosted 1/31/2013 8:15:05 AM
It's really only worth it on Draven, or others who benefit from the crit it gives.
---
Evelynn is my waifu.
Help... Me...
#9AphoristicPosted 1/31/2013 8:16:43 AM
Barrenite posted...
No it isn't becaause rice blade doesn't turn into anything you should use on an adc

Yeah don't get shiv

Pd is better if you actually want to do damage instead of making a cool lightning effect that is useless

Also ignoring unit collision is important on adc

Also you would be better off spending your gold on something that actually helps you in lane. Especially with the sudden rise in popularity for mf who will take the advantage of you getting the rice vlade instead of a laning item like a vamp or doran and punish the **** out of you.

Don't do it.

Shiv is not a bad item on ranged ADC, and you do not need ignoring unit collisions as ranged ADC. The reason people do not go for early Avarice Blades is because crits are an unreliable stat, especially if you are only able to crit once every 10 autos.

The reason they added the passive to PD was to keep the gold cost high, and buff melee ADCs. Just think about who honestly needs that passive, the one who has to get right in the face of an opponent or the one who sits back and shoots at an opponent. Also, thinking that Shiv is bad is flat out wrong. It gives more Movespeed which is invaluable on ranged ADs, and costs less so you can obtain it faster than your opponent who is trying for a Phantom Dancer.
---
[ Aphoristic (360/Steam/League) | Aphoristic92 (PS3) ]
[ 'Look at that dang-ass dang!' - Arin Hansen ]
#10DiplomacySCPosted 1/31/2013 8:18:28 AM
If you have a champ who naturally has a strong late-game, like Tristana, it's not always bad because Shiv gives you a stronger early/mid and their naturally strong late-game makes up for it. But at full-item, PD is better, so on a champ like Cait who has a naturally weaker late-game, PD is better than Shiv.