Question about the basics.

#1HappyDude69Posted 2/2/2013 6:34:28 PM
So there's something that's been bothering me the past little while. When playin AD champs like Vi they seem to transition well to late game even with minimal AD boosting items, in regards to damage.

However when I play some of my AP mages their damage seems to drop off painfully in the late game, even while doing my best to boost it. I don't think magic resist played a huge role, but as I'm gearing up to get serious about this, do you guys have any suggestions in order to help me to keep my mages damage up into the late game?
---
"if i was a women i would kill myself so i would never have the chance to sleep with you" ~Cloneslayer
#2Nowe242Posted 2/2/2013 6:39:54 PM
The thing with AP mages is that they are generally bursty. The reason AD champs can still to well in the late game is because they have sustained damage no matter what and can keep attacking the enemy.

However, by the time late game hits the enemy usually has a lot of health, and that completely counters a mage's burst, because they cannot kill you with it and then they must wait for cooldowns.

There is this item called Liandry's Torment, that burns a % of the enemy's HP when you hit them with a spell (also has some nice HP, AP, and magic pen). You might want to get that just for the burn to counter some HP.

Also, mages like Karthus, Anivia, and Orianna who can keep using spells and putting out damage the entire fight are great late game because the people with HP won't have time to heal up while your spells are on cooldown.

Finally, as an AP you generally want to attack the squishiest targets (usually the enemy AP or AD carry) as you can pretty much kill them instantly. That is a bit harder in season 3 though, now that a lot of ADs are starting to build Warmogs as their defensive item.
---
I'm very passionate about my Scrolls.
I love the way they feel against my skin in the moonlight.
#3EnclosurePosted 2/2/2013 6:41:08 PM
Don't forget Cass and Ryze. They have the most sustained damage of all mages.
---
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1678/87591610.jpg
#4POkemon_PoWeRPosted 2/2/2013 6:42:00 PM
Most mages are meant to drop off late game unless they are like late game APs (Katarina, Ryze, etc).

APs shine somewhat early game but a lot in mid game and is there to be main damage dealers when team fights start rolling around.

You're probably not doing much damage just because people are stacking Warmogs and Liandrys isn't good for health shredding.
---
I'm the best player here. The rest of you aren't as good as me-ninja1357
LoL IGN: m0bilize (NA)
#5Nowe242Posted 2/2/2013 6:42:31 PM
Enclosure posted...
Don't forget Cass and Ryze. They have the most sustained damage of all mages.

Right, and Ryze is only 450 and gets to build tanky.

I'm an idiot. Sorry TC, I failed you.
---
I'm very passionate about my Scrolls.
I love the way they feel against my skin in the moonlight.
#6B01tPosted 2/2/2013 6:43:10 PM
Make sure you get deathcap, and try to get a void staff as well. But honestly, almost all mages fall off in damage lategame. The exceptions are: Cassiopeia, Ryze, Karthus, (and to an extent fizz, imo). No one else really comes to mind.
---
Idealism is seeing potential. Pragmatism is seeing consequences.
#7HappyDude69(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 6:47:06 PM
Ah okay. What are my options for killing high HP targets? Ant what item setup should I be using for someone like... Let's say Xerath, in order to stay useful into late game?

Also I really enjoy playing cass, but I seem to suck with her lol. And though I do REALLY San to get better with her, that maybe another topic!

Thanks in advance as always guys!
---
"if i was a women i would kill myself so i would never have the chance to sleep with you" ~Cloneslayer
#8EnclosurePosted 2/2/2013 6:51:19 PM
Well regarding karth, while he does do great sustained damage, I still like divebomb karthus better >_>

For high health targets, use liandri and then straight AP to shred them. As for item builds, there are lots of guides out there that can cover it, but when reading them, remember that while each champ usually has one or two core items you always build, the rest depends on what you are facing in enemy champions and their item builds too.
---
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1678/87591610.jpg
#9aHappySackaPosted 2/2/2013 6:57:02 PM
HappyDude69 posted...
Ah okay. What are my options for killing high HP targets? Ant what item setup should I be using for someone like... Let's say Xerath, in order to stay useful into late game?

Also I really enjoy playing cass, but I seem to suck with her lol. And though I do REALLY San to get better with her, that maybe another topic!

Thanks in advance as always guys!

Xerath is a toughy, among his other weakness of being team reliant he doesn't have the lategame damage of other mages. But the good thing is that the new items and pen changes helps him more, for high hp targets liandry's and a rylai's will be your best bet.
---
Kitty Kat --> /\_/\
.................=(^_^)=
#10iiTryhardPosted 2/2/2013 7:04:53 PM
play fizz, your burst will never fall off

champs like Rumble or Elise don't really fall off as AP's either because they get to build somewhat tanky and still output consistent sustained damgage (elise is more bursty, but with much less teamfight utility than Rumble)
---
XBL: iiTryHaard
Yes, i i do try hard http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2012/08/imgur-dofor.jpg