LP system is confusing

#1NirgaliPosted 2/2/2013 6:45:34 PM
So, I finally got around to looking at my stats and found my LP was at 69. I won a game and it went to 71. I then got into a game with someone who refused to do anything helpful at all. It was as if they player had never played the game before. I kid you not. Then the feeding frenzy began. I was unable to make enough of a difference to win the match. I lost 21 points and dropped to 50. So, it seems that immature players are now having a devastating impact on my progression.

Whats more? They can now hold your promotion series at gun point. Let me explain. If you manage to get into a division series match and if any of those immature players somehow manage to make it in there with you, they can refuse to cooperate if they don't get what they want and dodge. They know this, so they declare "let me go mid or I will dodge and force you out of the division series."

I'm reluctant to play again.
---
--
It has been said death is a delightful hiding place for weary men. I can help you with that.
#2Supercuaco666Posted 2/2/2013 6:50:08 PM
Nirgali posted...
So, it seems that immature players are now having a devastating impact on my progression.

Please explain how this is new to the League system.
---
I'm apparently horse food.
#3Nirgali(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 6:50:57 PM
Nirgali posted...
Whats more? They can now hold your promotion series at gun point. Let me explain. If you manage to get into a division series match and if any of those immature players somehow manage to make it in there with you, they can refuse to cooperate if they don't get what they want and dodge. They know this, so they declare "let me go mid or I will dodge and force you out of the division series."

I don't really know if that is how it works, but that's what I understand from what I have been reading elsewhere. I couldn't really find a good source of information that explained the system in great detail.
---
--
It has been said death is a delightful hiding place for weary men. I can help you with that.
#4Mystic__HatePosted 2/2/2013 6:51:36 PM
If they dodge that has nothing to do with you, everything else yes.
---
necroix05 posted... As balanced as my breakfast.
but I only had the cereal
#5Nirgali(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 6:52:17 PM
Supercuaco666 posted...

I see your sarcasm. I never played ranked before so this is all new to me.
---
--
#6TwilightKing13Posted 2/2/2013 7:03:44 PM
If it believes you don't belong int he league you're in, you'll lose more points than you gain.
---
"Any voice can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart! " ~Sho Minamimoto
~~Twilight King~~
#7Supercuaco666Posted 2/2/2013 7:08:55 PM
Nirgali posted...
Supercuaco666 posted...

I see your sarcasm. I never played ranked before so this is all new to me.

Yeah, I suspected that too. It's a pretty common thing in ranked, and people would complain about "elohell" before (being at the bottom of the rankings because of bad teammates).
Don't worry though, with time it balances out and the bad players will be in the opposing team sometimes.

If you consider yourself good and we assume there's an equal amount of good and bad players all around, there's a 4/9 chance the troll will be in your team and a 5/9 chance the troll will be in the opposing team.

Though I guess it really would suck if you get unlucky during your promotion matches.
---
I'm apparently horse food.
#8Nirgali(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 10:38:22 PM
Supercuaco666 posted...

Yeah, I suspected that too. It's a pretty common thing in ranked, and people would complain about "elohell" before (being at the bottom of the rankings because of bad teammates).

The Elo system It is a lot more complicated when it involves teams. If you can understand the psychology and the mechanics, you have a better chance of moving up the ladder. I was just surprised by the factor of 10 loss. I didn't understand the system so it really had an impact on me. I imagine other people feel the same way the first time they see it.

Anyway, a friend linked a video that explains it quite nicely. I'll share it here for the benefit of others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdG-FzA5-A
---
#9SmishhhPosted 2/2/2013 11:30:29 PM
Nirgali posted...

Wait, if someone dodges the match that is supposed to be one of the division or promotion series to move up a tier/league, it counts as losing it? So what happens to your LPs?
#10DeadpooL7Posted 2/3/2013 12:31:36 AM
Smishhh posted...
Nirgali posted...

Wait, if someone dodges the match that is supposed to be one of the division or promotion series to move up a tier/league, it counts as losing it? So what happens to your LPs?

Dont listen to him he doesnt know what hes talking about.

If YOU dodge it cancels the promotion series out right. If someone else dodges it has 0 effect.

Also they dont know its your promotion series unless you tell them it is, so they cant really hold that over you.