Coming from DotA

#1ToolRulez345Posted 2/3/2013 7:42:17 AM
I know you probably see these topics a ton (cause I know every day I see 5-6 topics on DotA 2 board from people coming from LoL) but what are some things that I need to know switching from DotA 2 to LoL? Been playing DotA for years now and I love it, but a lot of my friends new to MOBAs have been playing LoL and they finally talked me into playing some.

The things I do know
-Towers are stronger and tower diving isn't really something that you can do

-From what I hear LoL is a farm fest. This obviously is probably a bias opinion from the DotA board but it's something I fear. I love how team oriented and gank oriented the meta for DotA is and the last thing I want to do is farm for 15 minutes not worrying about ganks.

-Mana management is much easier in LoL and you can spam your spells much more

-There are a ton more heroes who can jungle. In DotA there are maybe like 5 heroes in all who can effectively jungle (and actually 5 might be too many -.-)

But I'm more interested on how the meta is played and how I should be looking at the lineups when I play. I don't want to be that guy who picks the wrong hero to jungle with and get reported for simply not knowing. Appreciate any input.
#2IceMage20Posted 2/3/2013 8:00:28 AM
The current popular meta is as follows:

Solo top
Solo mid
Duo bot
Jungler

Solo top is usually a bruiser (tanky DPS) who will be fine on their own since they're farthest from the rest of the team, and has either the sustain, tankiness, or mobility to be okay in the long lane (i.e. they won't have to go back as often and they can escape ganks more easily/not die instantly to a gank).

Solo mid is usually a caster, someone who scales better off level than off items, since the mid lane levels fastest. Additionally, mid lane is usually someone who's pretty good at ganking, since mid can easily roam to top/bot. Used to be that you'd always want to send an AP caster mid (i.e. a mage), but with the recent item changes, AD casters are very common too (though there are only a handful of AD casters in the game).

Duo bot is always a support + AD carry. This is by far the least flexible lane in the meta comp, since there's a limited number of AD carries and a limited number of good supports, and VERY few champions who aren't designed as a carry/support can be an effective carry/support. Anyway, what happens is the carry tries to farm as efficiently as possible, while the support focuses on harassing the enemy, protecting the carry, and placing wards while not farming himself (there are a few support items that are designed around not needing a whole lot of farm). This is the only lane that's really a farmfest though, and even then it's still heavily influenced by ganks from mid/the jungler.

Junglers are pretty varied. The jungler's job, much like in Dota, is to farm the jungle rather than the lane and apply gank pressure to lanes. But in addition, there are also more neutral monster objectives than in Dota - two large monsters that give buffs, the Dragon, and Baron Nashor. The large monsters are the Ancient Golem and Lizard Elder, who give red and blue buffs respectively (we just call them "red" and "blue"). Blue gives you massive mana regen and CDR, red makes your autoattacks slow and do a small DoT. Dragon just gives everyone on your team 190g when killed, and Nashor is like Roshan except instead of dropping an item, he gives your entire team 300g + a buff that increases AD, AP, health regen, and mana regen. With the use of the Smite summoner spell, it's the junglers job to keep control of these objectives and make sure his team is getting them. Junglers are usually bruisers or tanks, but there's a few who are assassins, or AP carries.
---
Click here to take the idiot test. ~ Glaurungd
^uh i think your link doesnt work, u should learn HMTL ~MooMoo321
#3ToolRulez345(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 8:12:15 AM
So the lane lineup sounds similar to DotA, except when you say "top" is top the same for both sides? In DotA our top lane is either the solo top or the carry support depending if you are on the Radiant or Dire side.

And what do AD and AP stand for?
#4IceMage20Posted 2/3/2013 8:18:17 AM
Top is always the north lane because lanes are more symmetrical in this game. So it's going to be 1v1 top, 2v2 bot.

AD and AP are Attack Damage and Ability Power. AD is how much you do with autos (and any abilities that scale off AD), and AP is used to determine the damage of abilities that scale off of AP. So an AP caster is a caster whose abilities scale entirely off of AP - i.e., a mage.
---
#5IceMage20Posted 2/3/2013 8:32:39 AM
Also, people in this game (once you get out of the newbie levels) are REALLY anal about copying anything the pros do, including the meta. So, yeah, you probably will be reported if you don't follow the meta in solo queue. Whether or not you'll actually be punished is a gray area though - on the one hand, simply not following the meta isn't punishable at all. However, it can be twisted into being considered a "refusing to communicate with team" report (which IS punishable) if your team asks you to follow the meta and you don't - not to mention if you do ANYTHING else wrong, even the slightest bit of swearing or having a negative score, you're much more likely to be reported for that little thing because you also didn't stick to the meta. The LoL community is just as scummy as any moba community, only here in addition to the usual trolls and jackasses, there are also people who like to abuse the report feature (fun fact: a while back there was a massive ban wave that basically permabanned the bottom ~1% of the community, and when they went through text logs of all these banned players, the #1 most commonly appearing word was "reported." In other words, people who are quick to report are usually those who are most likely to get banned for being asses themselves).

Anyway, I'm out of that match now (I got reported for feeding because I was 1/8/4 as a support, hurrr), so I can answer any other questions too.
---
#6crondizzlePosted 2/3/2013 8:39:20 AM
ToolRulez345 posted...

The things I do know
-Towers are stronger and tower diving isn't really something that you can do

-From what I hear LoL is a farm fest. This obviously is probably a bias opinion from the DotA board but it's something I fear. I love how team oriented and gank oriented the meta for DotA is and the last thing I want to do is farm for 15 minutes not worrying about ganks.

-Mana management is much easier in LoL and you can spam your spells much more

-There are a ton more heroes who can jungle. In DotA there are maybe like 5 heroes in all who can effectively jungle (and actually 5 might be too many -.-)

Those things are all true to an extent.

Tower diving is possible, just a lot more risky.

And its not always a farm fest, there are some champions that gank a lot.
#7TwilightKing13Posted 2/3/2013 8:48:06 AM
The reason it's usually 1v1 top and 2v2 bot is that having 3 team mates in the general area of dragon makes it easier to secure early game.
---
"Any voice can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart! " ~Sho Minamimoto
~~Twilight King~~