mages role in league?

#1Beech_tibsPosted 2/4/2013 12:42:25 PM
I'd say mid lane rather than mages.... But in the recent past mid has been like the wild west...

Anyway....
Is it to diversify dmg types and add utility? Ive noticed "carrying" with mages is pretty much not a thing, unless fed massively in early game....

Also if every champ fits into a chart or utility vs dmg where would an optimal mage be put, and at what part of the game would this advantage be realized?
Just wondering the boards thoughts here
---
a lot of people are sheep so they won't believe a champion is strong until a pro says so
#2kourkourPosted 2/4/2013 12:46:27 PM
I'd say mid lane rather than mages.... But in the recent past mid has been like the wild west...

Anyway....
Is it to diversify dmg types and add utility? Ive noticed "carrying" with mages is pretty much not a thing, unless fed massively in early game....

Also if every champ fits into a chart or utility vs dmg where would an optimal mage be put, and at what part of the game would this advantage be realized?
Just wondering the boards thoughts here

It's not utility vs damage, anivia has loads of both but is lacking in other areas to compensate.

I'm kidding she's op.
---
"stereotypical internet guy" -Fuzzy_Blanket
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa242/kourkour/xcluded.jpg
#3Beech_tibs(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 12:58:43 PM
Dmg being how much dmg you would put out before dying, squishy champs obviously would have a lot of dmg, but can also possess utility because that dmg is limited by any sort of focus

though, for anivia's chart she would have a lot of aoe dmg (utility +dmg) and that egg helps too

idk

she does seem op
---
a lot of people are sheep so they won't believe a champion is strong until a pro says so
#4Rookie_JetPosted 2/4/2013 12:59:16 PM
It's to dominate early and mid game since they mostly scale with levels rather than gold (though obviously gold helps). This allows your team to make it to late game for your carry (gold dependant moreso than level dependant) to get farmed up enough to finish the game for you. Also, like you said, diversifying damage types is also very beneficial.
#5Suffer_NotPosted 2/4/2013 1:01:47 PM
It used to be that you would pick a mage with some combination of both in order to fit your team comp. You might want an Oriana to have early game damage and to allow a tanky bruiser to initiate with your ball combo. or you might want Leblanc so that you could get tons of kills in the early game. Or you might want Kassadin for his roaming potential.

And then Season 3 happened, which means that everyone can do damage to anyone because of how penetration works. Utility mages are a lot less popular because there isn't really a reason for me to pick Morgana when I can pick Kha'Zix or Pantheon and kill everything instead of stunning them.

The mages that have remained competitively popular are ones that have excellent wave clear and aoe damage (AoE stomp comp is still popular), ones that have excellent ganks, ones that can build tanky(ie ryze) without sacrificing damage), and then ones that can effectively itemize DFG/Liandry's because Warmogs is so popular. And when i say all those things, i really mean the mags that can do a bunch of those, because otherwise you just play Kayle mid and do more damage than a traditional Ziggs would.

At least, at the highest level of play. The rest of us are going to perform best by playing what we are comfortable with, since player skill is still a bigger differential than Pantheon's meta advantages against Gragas.
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#6GuitarHero171Posted 2/4/2013 1:08:17 PM(edited)
Mages are mostly meant to influence the mid game, when they have a significant level advantage over the rest of their team. There are, however, a few mages that can straight-up carry in the late game (if built right) thanks to their ridiculous damage. (see: Karthus, Ryze, Anivia)
---
Official Grouch of the Green Day: Rock Band board
#7LordMordorPosted 2/4/2013 1:08:29 PM
It's both honestly

While armor is not as effective as it used to be, if you have no source of magic damage the enemy can still abuse that by building lots of armor (in combination with HP of course)

Adc scale mostly off gold, early and mid game their damage is not yet enough to really "carry"
AP scales more off levels than gold, so their mid game damage output is generally higher

Also they will almost always have more utility. This will help the rest of the team, sometimes even more than the damage they can bring.
Well placed anivia walls, cassie ults, ect...these things can win fights
---
This election year....vote the Dark Lord Sauron
He promises better healthcare and free Rings of Power!
#8Reaper_MinionPosted 2/4/2013 1:14:25 PM
It depends on the pick. Some are there just to insta-gib the enemy carry, while others offer utility and/or AoE damage.

Late-game most AP carries are relegated to a support role. Protecting the ADC becomes the number one priority for the entire team, pretty much. Unless you are a dedicated assassin that can insta-gib the enemy ADC and make it out safely (Kassadin, LeBlanc, etc.), there's no point in putting yourself at risk.

Of course, there's also the reset-dependent and sustained DPS categories. These guys are here for the damage all the way.
---
/|\ http://i48.tinypic.com/2pzcsv7.jpg
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY