I can't for the life of me support.

#1Ultraknight64Posted 2/5/2013 5:43:38 AM
I absolutely cannot support with anyone not Nunu and even with him it is 50/50 whether I do good or not. I have Taric, Soraka and Nunu and I know how they work and all that, but I feel like I am always getting caught or just being useless except for soaking up damage. Whenever I try to zone the enemy carry out of some CS, I always end up with a quarter of my health down and the carry misses 1 or 2 CS for all my trouble.

When I play Draft or Ranked, I usually tell my team nicely that I cannot support without feeding. While 90% of the time someone will switch with me, I don't really want to be that one guy who can't support and forces someone out of their pick.

Do you guys have any tips for support?
---
Not happy with committing just murder, he had to go and dirty the courthouse, too!? GUILTY - Judge
#2NeoAndurilPosted 2/5/2013 5:47:07 AM
I think you have to play differently according to the champ you've picked. Most of the time (in solo que) I am forced to play according to how the adc plays and the champ they selected. And don't try to force things. Chipping away at the enemy can be just as good as forcing them out of lane, and certainly a lot better than dying.

So my suggestion is try to model your play-style appropriate to the carry, and don't try to force things to happen. Take opportunities if they are there, but don't over extend.
#3dennis941012Posted 2/5/2013 6:07:07 AM
ward
always pick up 2wards atleast when you shop
I love to ward ward enemy and our wraith at start of the game allowing jungler to effectively counter jungle and catch enemy invader.
in lane keep the lane bushes warded perferably with vision ward to gain advantage.
You will also need gold quints atleast (I prefer both yellow and quints gold runes) to effectively get money for mid and late game.
Do not get stuck with one build support has many choices atm...
Sight stone
CDR/BoM boots
Sherulias
= core
then you have 3 item slot left

Zeke's Herald
Mikael's crucible
Will of the Ancient
Frozenheart
Twin Ghost
Shards of true ice
Locket of Iron solari
Runic Bulwark
Abyssal Scepter
Banner of Command
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#4Reaper_MinionPosted 2/5/2013 6:30:04 AM
Just practice... you need to able to tell when to be aggressive and when to stay back and this all comes from experience.

Team fighting is rough if you lost your lane. You will be extremely underleveled and won't have the money to be tanky. In that case just focus on warding and peel for your carries when needed.
---
/|\ http://i48.tinypic.com/2pzcsv7.jpg
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#5dennis941012Posted 2/5/2013 6:42:07 AM
Just practice... you need to able to tell when to be aggressive and when to stay back and this all comes from experience.

Team fighting is rough if you lost your lane. You will be extremely underleveled and won't have the money to be tanky. In that case just focus on warding and peel for your carries when needed.

support won't fall off though
adc will but support gets gold whether or not you win or lose the lane
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#6KaosShadowPosted 2/5/2013 6:42:56 AM(edited)
how can anyone not know how to play with soraka?

you just need to heal when needed, be a mana battery, ward all the time and play defensively until your jungler comes, when he comes flash + exhaust combo their ADC (if you can save your flash do it), press Q like a madman and keep you jungler and ADC alive

soraka + ezreal can harass forever, you don't need to kill the enemy, just chip their health down to deny them or make them go B, and that's how you win bot lane
#7ExalxPosted 2/5/2013 6:43:12 AM
Ultraknight64 posted...
I absolutely cannot support with anyone not Nunu and even with him it is 50/50 whether I do good or not. I have Taric, Soraka and Nunu and I know how they work and all that, but I feel like I am always getting caught or just being useless except for soaking up damage. Whenever I try to zone the enemy carry out of some CS, I always end up with a quarter of my health down and the carry misses 1 or 2 CS for all my trouble.

When I play Draft or Ranked, I usually tell my team nicely that I cannot support without feeding. While 90% of the time someone will switch with me, I don't really want to be that one guy who can't support and forces someone out of their pick.

Do you guys have any tips for support?

You need to pick the right supports with the right ADCs. And with the supports you have, you're not meant to be zoning them out of CS without your adc.
Poke supports like Lulu and Sona are good for that. With Taric, Soraka, and Nunu, you need bush control and communication with your adc. Ping when you want to snowball or stun someone so your adc can jump in and burst with you. With soraka, E and auto then walk away.

if they ward your bush, go behind minions and keep moving with your adc. Rush sightstone, get pinks, and keep them out of your bush.
if all goes well, you'll be able to zone them.

Side note, Soraka isn't great at zoning. You leave that to your adc that spams their abilities with infinite mana. Oh, and keeping tabs on everyone's positions by looking at the map helps you just as much as wards do. You see the jungler top? Tell your adc to push bot and get aggressive. Mid is mia, back off and let your adc farm until you figure out where they are.
---
Monster Hunter Tri: Exalx (2ZFG9Y) HR:130+
#8RihawfPosted 2/5/2013 6:43:28 AM
Don't be afraid to buy pink wards.
dennis941012 posted...

Sherulias

---
LoL NA IGN: MyakkoFirst|steam: rihawf| Nami main
League of Legends BR IGN: Rihawf (who'd know?)
#9Reaper_MinionPosted 2/5/2013 6:54:03 AM

support won't fall off though
adc will but support gets gold whether or not you win or lose the lane

You will be missing on a lot of experience and obviously won't get any assists either. It does have a huge impact.
---
/|\ http://i48.tinypic.com/2pzcsv7.jpg
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#10SmishhhPosted 2/5/2013 7:10:59 AM
Ultraknight64 posted...
Whenever I try to zone the enemy carry out of some CS, I always end up with a quarter of my health down and the carry misses 1 or 2 CS for all my trouble.

When you try to interrupt their farming, do you just attack them straight on? Where is their support during this? Most of the time you should be basically doing a dance with the enemy support, trying to position yourself better than them. If you attack the ADC when their support is in a good position like controlling a bush, they will usually just CC you, then you get shot by ADC and almost die.

It depends greatly on which support you are, and which your opponent is. For Nunu you generally want to W ADC then save iceball for peeling. Then try and scare the other support away from advantageous positions, they probably can't do much to hurt you. If they CC you when your ADC is closer than theirs is, you should be fine. If they've burnt cooldowns, you could force a trade. Your ADC has blood boil and theirs gets an iceball to the face, and you can safely ignore the support while that goes on.

You always focus the ADC with CC and damage, but positioning and most of your attention will generally be on the other support.