Question about this game.

#1lalallaalalPosted 2/5/2013 7:18:28 AM
My brother referred me to this game but I ignored him since I'm not into MMOs. I saw this on the front page and decided to read a review.

I noticed they said this is like DOTA, so my questions is does this mean like Defense of the Ancients from Warcraft 3? I was in love with those and similar maps and if this game functions like that I will definetly check this out.
#2TwidgerPosted 2/5/2013 7:19:18 AM
I miss WC3 :'(

But yea its like dota without attributes and a bit dumbed down
#3SmishhhPosted 2/5/2013 7:21:17 AM
lalallaalal posted...
My brother referred me to this game but I ignored him since I'm not into MMOs. I saw this on the front page and decided to read a review.

I noticed they said this is like DOTA, so my questions is does this mean like Defense of the Ancients from Warcraft 3? I was in love with those and similar maps and if this game functions like that I will definetly check this out.

Yes, Dota is Defense of the Ancient from Warcraft 3 and this game is inspired directly by it and very similar. It is not an MMO, not sure who told you that.
#4lalallaalal(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 7:25:59 AM
I wasn't necessarily told it was an MMO, I just assumed it was

So is each mission or whatever a one shot game like DOTA was in Warcraft 3, or do you carry character levels and items over from mission to mission?

What are the main differences?
#5lalallaalal(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 7:28:16 AM
I should also ask if a high performance pc is necessary for this game.
#6ShadowD00mPosted 2/5/2013 7:51:02 AM
What it is essentially is you queue up for a match, pick a champion at the champ select, go into a game, farm and try to reach level 18 while fighting other people and minions/monsters while attempting to complete the objective of destroying the enemies base.

After the match ends you gain IP and Experience Points, Experience Points to level to the highest level which is 30 and IP to spend on new champs to buy.

In terms of a PC you do not need a High-end PC to run the game, it can run on a potato if you wish it to.

The game is really fun and is a great way to pass time, the only issue i have (well not really and issue) is how long matches can last in the game.
---
Gamer Tag: Ultimated00m
LoL IGN: Rezem
#7SmishhhPosted 2/5/2013 7:56:10 AM
Yep each game is a fresh match where you level up and buy items. There are some things that carry over, you have rune and mastery pages which you customize for stats that you can apply to your character. Its just a little bit of extra strategy and choice you get to make before the match begins.

The game is not dumbed down, but in making it a stand alone game they made some things a lot easier to understand and visually convey information better. Its probably a lot easier for people to get a basic understanding of, which is good because the learning curve for these kinds of games is steep. The skill cap is in no way dumbed down. Aside from personal preference on trivial things it would be highly unlikely for someone to seriously not consider it an improvement overall.

Its pretty low demand performance-wise. If you put all the setting to minimum it'll run on crappy outdated laptops and stuff like that still.
#8MizunoRyuuPosted 2/5/2013 8:05:12 AM(edited)
The game is self-contained. The only things that carry on between games are the characters you own, your account level and your runes and masteries.
Your account level determines which Summoner Spells you can use, how many mastery points you have, and how many runes you can equip, up to 30.
You obtain IP by playing games, and can use it to buy runes outside of a game, which you equip before a game to increase your stats. You also use it to buy champions.
You can buy RP, which allows you to get things using real money, without having to play.
You have 2 extra spells compared to DotA (Summoner Spells), which anyone can use and you choose them before the game starts.
Map layout is very similar, but with a couple of differences you'll pick up soon enough.
Also, attributes are more clear-cut. No "strength, agility, intelligence" stuff whose bonuses change depending on what type of character you have. Want to deal more damage with your attacks? Buy attack damage (AD) items. Deal more spell damage? Buy ability power (AP) items. But certain characters' abilities only scale with certain attributes. For example, Talon's W, Rake, deals more damage if you build AD, whereas Morgana's Q, Dark Binding, deals more if you build AP. Some spells also scale with max health or armour, both stats which are directly increased just by buying an item whose purpose is to specifically increase the stats. (as in, not just raising Strength, which passively raises many stats)

Oh, and don't tower dive. They actually hurt, unlike the ones in DotA.

So basically, it's like DotA but easier to understand and with more complex out-of-game bonuses you need to consider.
---
Evelynn is my waifu.
Help... Me...
#9lalallaalal(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 8:08:47 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, I'm getting really jacked up to play this game later. I've been searching for a game like this for ages.

Since it appears you're a bit limited on character selection from the start, which champion is most like the Berserker Troll from DOTA? I'd like to start out with that one first if possible.