Riot starts publically posting the MMR rating

#1NeoAndurilPosted 2/5/2013 2:37:31 PM
(match making rating)

What happens? I really wish we could see our own as well as our opponents. But it will never happen. Why?
#2Lord GrahfPosted 2/5/2013 2:42:00 PM
Take the amount of LP you get from a win on average.

If it's 11-15, then check the old Elo chart for your division. Silver I is approximately 1450-1550, where Gold V starts at 1550 and Plat V starts at 1800.

If you get less than that per win, your Elo is lower than your tier. If you get more, it's higher. Just because your Elo is hidden doesn't it's not displayed to you in various other formats.
---
Not changing this sig until Walter Mondale is elected president.
Currently Playing: Pepper II, Venture, Frogger
#3NeoAnduril(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 2:43:24 PM

If it's 11-15, then check the old Elo chart for your division. Silver I is approximately 1450-1550, where Gold V starts at 1550 and Plat V starts at 1800.

If you get less than that per win, your Elo is lower than your tier. If you get more, it's higher. Just because your Elo is hidden doesn't it's not displayed to you in various other formats.

Right but the MMR is separate from ELO. Or at least it used to be. I'd like to see how they decide who ends up in each match and why.
#4Lord GrahfPosted 2/5/2013 2:44:45 PM

Right but the MMR is separate from ELO. Or at least it used to be. I'd like to see how they decide who ends up in each match and why.

It's not separate from Elo at all. You're matched by Elo, and the only reason they call it "matchmaking rating" is because they alter your Elo for matchmaking to compensate for duo queues.
---
#5NeoAnduril(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 2:45:36 PM
It's not separate from Elo at all. You're matched by Elo, and the only reason they call it "matchmaking rating" is because they alter your Elo for matchmaking to compensate for duo queues.

So then can we say there is a simple equation out there that governs this process?
#6Lord GrahfPosted 2/5/2013 2:49:16 PM
Yes. Your team's average Elo is approximately equal to the enemy team's average Elo.

If you duo queue, then your duo queuers Elos are raised by approximately 50 points each when being matched. This does not affect their pick order, only the average Elo of the players they are matched with.
---
#7Blbmbr666Posted 2/5/2013 2:51:00 PM

This is backwards. If your MMR is lower than your opponents, you'll get MORE points, while if it's higher you'll get LESS. This functions exactly like Elo.
---
League of Legends IGN: JOEYballsGOTTI
Dis is where I work: http://wakeup-world.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Corn_field.jpg
#8Lord GrahfPosted 2/5/2013 2:54:28 PM(edited)

This is backwards. If your MMR is lower than your opponents, you'll get MORE points, while if it's higher you'll get LESS. This functions exactly like Elo.

I'm not talking about your opponents. I'm talking about your Elo in regards to your displayed League Tier.

For example, if your Elo is 1400 but you're in Gold V (Approximately ~1550 division), you may get 8-10 points per win and lose 16-18 per loss. This is because the game you are being matched in are 1400 Elo games, but you are gaining and losing "Gold V" valued LP. You can't gain and lose equal amounts of LP for a low Elo game unless you're in a division that equates to that Elo (Silver III or Silver IV)
---
#9Blbmbr666Posted 2/5/2013 2:54:41 PM
Ahh, my mistake.
---
League of Legends IGN: JOEYballsGOTTI
Dis is where I work: http://wakeup-world.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Corn_field.jpg
#10NeoAnduril(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 2:57:47 PM(edited)
Yes. Your team's average Elo is approximately equal to the enemy team's average Elo.

If you duo queue, then your duo queuers Elos are raised by approximately 50 points each when being matched. This does not affect their pick order, only the average Elo of the players they are matched with.

Interesting. I wonder what would happen if I set up a function representing that and then plotted the derivative. I could effectively predict future match ups using that derivative (with enough data).

And I could use the Definite integral to spot dodgers/trolls and then take the derivative of that data and correlate it with times of day to calculate optimal times to play ranked.