Can Garen actually be "countered"?

#101Masemune_100Posted 2/6/2013 11:47:28 PM
Lithsp posted...
Why do you have it in your head that Garen has to out-tank Cho anyway?.

Lithsp posted...
His stacks don't match Garens tankiness from his W and it's passive, at all.

---
Rule #1 of Resident Evil: Don't catch the sunglasses.
GT - Judgement Blade
#102Lithsp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 11:56:03 PM
-_-
---
[]Signature[]
#103PDubs52Posted 2/10/2013 8:00:06 PM
I pretty much only play as Garen, and I frankly think he is NOT over powered. He is just like any champion - has his mismatches that he either owns or gets owned. It is all about the player and getting a quick start for him.

Starting off with two kills in lane (2-0 start) usually results in a good game for me. Starting off with two deaths (0-2) usually means a bad game for me.

Overall he's a solid champ. Much like all the others!
---
"Uh-oh the truck have started to move"--Metal Gear (NES)
#104bstbllPosted 2/10/2013 8:29:54 PM
I love playing Jayce against a Garen. Poke him down with shock blast/AAs whenever he comes up for cs, if he tries to engage, hammerform's E has a longer range than Garen's silence so he'll just get punted away before it lands. Rinse and repeat.
---
So basically communists are druids. -Gestapoid
#105Lithsp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 2:36:03 AM
PDubs52 posted...
I pretty much only play as Garen, and I frankly think he is NOT over powered. He is just like any champion - has his mismatches that he either owns or gets owned. It is all about the player and getting a quick start for him.

Starting off with two kills in lane (2-0 start) usually results in a good game for me. Starting off with two deaths (0-2) usually means a bad game for me.

Overall he's a solid champ. Much like all the others!

Yeah, he's VERY solid.
I only play Garen and Xin at the moment.

The more I play Garen VS his counters, the more and more I realize he is AMAZING. Maybe I'm just learning the matchups and getting better, but I'm coming out on top every time.

Really starting to believe he should be played at pro levels and in tournies. No reason for him not to be seen there.
---
[]Signature[]
#106UnderwaterAirPosted 2/11/2013 2:59:03 AM
Jayce
Yorick

These two champs will more or less stomp Garen throughout the laning phase and be much better than Garen at midgame teamfights and endgame utility.
I was about to include Warwick also but... no. Warwick = Garen. xD

=========

Teemo
Pantheon
Kayle
Kennen
Olaf
Irelia
Nasus
Nidalee
Riven
Darius

These champs might not necessarily beat Garen in lane but they stand to not lose it either and as the game progresses they will be able to provide much more for the team. Champions like Teemo, Nidalee are very strong split pushers as well as having great burst or teamfighting utility. Teemo in the way of mushrooms and blind with supplemental damage. Nidalee with AD or AP, works either way and can split push very well.

Other champs like Kennen, Olaf, Riven, Nasus, Irelia just does much greater things than Garen does as the game goes on.
---
http://oi41.tinypic.com/9ht4ea.jpg
No matter which way you slice it you'll both be ending up in Hell!
#107Lithsp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 3:09:52 AM
UnderwaterAir posted...
Jayce
Yorick

These two champs will more or less stomp Garen throughout the laning phase and be much better than Garen at midgame teamfights and endgame utility.
I was about to include Warwick also but... no. Warwick = Garen. xD

=========

Teemo
Pantheon
Kayle
Kennen
Olaf
Irelia
Nasus
Nidalee
Riven
Darius

These champs might not necessarily beat Garen in lane but they stand to not lose it either and as the game progresses they will be able to provide much more for the team. Champions like Teemo, Nidalee are very strong split pushers as well as having great burst or teamfighting utility. Teemo in the way of mushrooms and blind with supplemental damage. Nidalee with AD or AP, works either way and can split push very well.

Other champs like Kennen, Olaf, Riven, Nasus, Irelia just does much greater things than Garen does as the game goes on.

I'm not bothered by Jayce at all when I lane against him. Yorick and Teemo are "annoying" but you can work around them.

The rest of your list is just no. Garen owns Darius, easily, same deal with Riven and Nid to be honest.

Maybe it's just me, but I've laned against all of those, and found ways to not only stand my ground, but win against them.

I think people underestimated the silence. 2.5s silence is nothing to laugh at.
It is a death sentence. Depending on who I'm laning against, I'll take Flash to insta-gib them at times.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm feeling really, really comfortable against everyone top as Garen. Everyone.
I don't feel at a disadvantage against any lane, at all. Regardless of where I go too, jungle, support, adc, top.. it don't matter.

Maybe he's just "my" champ. :/
---
[]Signature[]
#108bosss33Posted 2/11/2013 6:00:27 AM
Jayce...

I had an idiot on my team pick garen after the other team picked Jayce. Anytime he got close he just got knocked back by that hammer or Jayce ran away with that move speed buff. Other than that he does well with almost anyone. I was spectating my friend's ranked match and he was garen against teemo. The teemo was annoying and hard to catch, but he ended up going 9-1 and winning the game and teemo was like 3-5. Teemo still has to play smart and ultra cautious because he's so fragile... Jayce does not.
#109PennyWiseRocksPosted 2/11/2013 6:15:54 AM
dennis941012 posted...
nunu

Nunu dumps on every single melee top hands down. It's too bad he scales like crap and can't make very good use of all that gold/xp. =[
---
Currently Playing: Radiant Historia, SMT Devil Summoner: Raidou.
#110PennyWiseRocksPosted 2/11/2013 6:20:40 AM
AKizle posted...
Arken101 posted...
AKizle posted...
Jax will murder him, the only threat Garen poses to Jax is his ult. Darius will win trades and for the most part bully Garen, after level 6 it becomes a game of who can utilize their ult first and Darius has the advantage. Voli will probably murder him, although that's just a speculation on my part after watching my brother play Voli. Ranged champs naturally have an advantage if they play smart. Urgot comes to mind as he can poke Garen all day and eventually just murder him.

There's so much wrong here I'm possibly considering this a troll post.

You're free to think whatever you want, it doesn't change anything.

Garen counters Darius in lane pretty hard. To state the opposite as correct is either trolling or just plain wrong.
---
Currently Playing: Radiant Historia, SMT Devil Summoner: Raidou.